Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New Alarms

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Alarms

I just started college and it is in the Downtown area. I am looking for a good alarm for my car. 00 Civic ex. I dont really need remote start or non of that (manual tranny). I really like the LCD pager alarms tho. A local shop said 399.00 installed for a Hornet LCD pager alarm. Are they any good? Is that to much? What kinda alarms do you all have and what was the prices for them. Would it be to hard to install myself.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Alarms (Stylinhonda)

(adding to recent topics)
Old 08-23-2004, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Alarms (nixadm)

Don't post if you dont have anything to contribute
Old 08-23-2004, 11:20 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This would probably be better answered in the Audio/Security/Video Forum.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stylinhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I really like the LCD pager alarms tho. A local shop said 399.00 installed for a Hornet LCD pager alarm. Are they any good? Is that to much? What kinda alarms do you all have and what was the prices for them. Would it be to hard to install myself. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Alarms aren't necesarily hard to install, but they can be tedious. The last one I did was for a full DEI with all the bells and whistles, and it took me about 2 days to do. Something like 15 - 20 components to hook up (pezio sirens, sensors, relays etc.) each with at least 2 or 3 wires. I ended up taking out most of the interior to hide things.

The thing with alarms is that the install is more important than the equipment. If everything is hidden well, it will be harder to defeat. My next alarm is going to be done for me, not because I can't do it, but I know there are shops that can do it faster and better than I can. I've been 'interviewing' installers and shops to find one that I know will do an install as clean and reliable as I would.

I'm going with a clifford. They also have a pager alarm, and you can't beat their security.

Old 08-23-2004, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think any alarm will do as long as you have starter kill.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wanted to know the answer to your question as well, so I added it to my recent topics... don't be an ***
Old 08-23-2004, 12:02 PM

Id recomend an Ultra Start Secuirity system , they also make remote starter models too for manual tranny's but like someone else said the install is the most difficult part. BUTTTTTT if your car is already wired for an alarm like mine was you can install the brain box in the same location and MOST but not all of the wiring would already be done for you, you just have to splice into the connecter thats sitting there.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Alarms (EX_AutoXer)

I agree. What kinds of questions should I ask the installers? What are the best options to have on a an alarm besides the kill start? I really want the LCD pager system in the alarm that I do purchase. I am going to look into the Cliffords, but as far as the "Hornet" alarms, does anyone know how good they are and is 399.00 a good deal for the alarm and install?

nixadm, my bad 1st day of school and was in a bad mood lol, I read your post wrong. My bad
Old 08-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a clifford
Old 08-24-2004, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Alarms (Phantastic)

Im looking online at the Cliffords. What extras should I get, what are the best options to get. What kinda questions do I ask the installers?
Old 08-24-2004, 04:53 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Layer your security on your car. In addition to an alarm get things like kill switches, autolock, back-up sirens, ect. We all know that if a thief wants it bad enough they will get it but anything you can do to slow down a thief is to your benefit.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stylinhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What extras should I get, what are the best options to get. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd get the back-up siren, Omni and tilt sensors (can be included depending on model), proximity and glass break sensor. There's also pezio sirens to install inside the car to make it painful to be in the car while alarming. That should be enough for the alarm, but you still need to layer security for maximum effectiveness.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stylinhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> What kinda questions do I ask the installers? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Where are the components going, how are they hidden. What type of connections do you make. What type of instals do you typically do, what type of experience do you have. Just get a general feel for the guy and the job he's going to do.

Old 08-24-2004, 05:16 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: New Alarms (EX_AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Where are the components going, how are they hidden. What type of connections do you make. What type of instals do you typically do, what type of experience do you have. Just get a general feel for the guy and the job he's going to do.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Questions are very important. When I had my alarm installed I did ask some questions but obviously not the right ones because when they installed it they had to run two wires under the carpet but instead the just cut it. Now the cut was visible but I was repacing it because it was in bad shape. I decided to complain anyway because how do they now if I'm replacing it, they should have done it right and not half assed. I spoke with the manager and he told me the carpet was already cut, yeah bullshit, and they just decided to put the wires there for convience to them. I didn't get anywhere with him so I just left. When I redid the carpet though I re-ran the wires and made things cleaner myself. Don't just go to one shop, look around for the best installers. Talk to people and find out their experiences from curtain shops.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Alarms (TouringAccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TouringAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Don't just go to one shop, look around for the best installers. Talk to people and find out their experiences from curtain shops.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, it's about as frustrating as buying a used car. I finally found someone who I thought would do as good a job as I would on the car (about the 5th shop I went to); but they would have to order the new Clifford unit that I wanted since they had the old ones still in stock. That was Memorial Day. Nothing for two weeks, I go in, and they forgot to order it. I still haven't heard anything. Now I have to go looking for another shop, because I'm definitely not giving my money to those guys, no matter how experienced they are.

I'm almost to the point of ordering a Clifford online (which nulls the warantee) and installing myself. I just don't have a weekend to install it like I used to. Plus, the theives are getting pretty sophisticated (the pros anyway) and I'm sure an experienced installer would know some tricks to stump them that I wouldn't (since it's been a while since I've done any alarm work).

Don't give up, you'll feel much better after finding a good shop and getting a good install then having to re-do stuff you've already paid someone to do.

Old 08-24-2004, 05:52 AM

whenever you made up your mind. be sure not to give the installer or shop your address, or any personal info. imo
Old 08-24-2004, 06:48 AM

Default Re: (2lua)

Clifford
Old 08-24-2004, 06:52 AM
foz

DEI owns VIper, CLifford, Hornet, Python... etc
the Hornet 2-way as good as the Clifford and Viper 2-way because they are technically all the same equipment.

The only time a Clifford is different than Viper is with their Intelliguard series, which was a design/technology prior to DEI's purchase of Clifford, The Intelliguard series has been rereleased, but as far as the 2-way lcd remote alarms they are all DEI, therefore the Hornet, Viper, and Clifford are the same.

I've been installing alarms/stereos professionally since 1998, (as a hobby since 92) and haver only once been asked any specifics by a customer,

and the info your looking for has passed through the audio/security forum more than a dozen times....
Old 08-24-2004, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Alarms (foz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The only time a Clifford is different than Viper is with their Intelliguard series,

2-way lcd remote alarms they are all DEI, therefore the Hornet, Viper, and Clifford are the same.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, you're absolutely correct. If you look at the Matrix (clifford) and the 7xx or whatever (viper) they are the exact same unit. The two way pager series is a DEI item, that they rebaged as a Clifford when they were aquired by DEI. It's a totally different animal than the Intelliguard series, which is still a Clifford design exclusive. I got away from the OP's original question about a pager system when talking about Clifford.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been installing alarms/stereos professionally since 1998, (as a hobby since 92) and haver only once been asked any specifics by a customer,

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's just sad. I guess all my questioning comes from me never letting anyone working on my car, and being very **** about my install jobs.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and the info your looking for has passed through the audio/security forum more than a dozen times....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, I started 3 or 4 threads about alarms (as well as hijacking any thread about alarms), and never got any satisfactory responses in there; mostly just conflicting hearsay. It was tough finding good info about alarms anywhere (DEI and Cliffords sites suck), so that's why I'm sharing what little I found from my research the last few months.

Old 08-24-2004, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanx for the info guys. I came out of school today to see some lady backing into my car once, so as I walk up to her window she backs into it again. Im like OMG's wtf are you doing and she goes "did I hit it" and luckly there was no damage but damn watch where the hell your backing up.

Foz....Is 399 a good price for a hornet lcd pager alarm installed? Im gona go to a few more shops today and see how they install.

How should I pay the shop? Cash there is no real prove in payment but cant they see ur addy on all other payments?
Old 08-24-2004, 07:25 AM
foz

Is it alarm and remote start or just alarm? does it include keyless, domelight supervision, The alarm remote start models go around 500 here, keep in mind that Hornet has a lesser warranty than Viper so even though they are the same thing it should cost less than a viper, not the same or more

shop around, but most shops aren't too flexible on alarm prices, as far as price

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's just sad. I guess all my questioning comes from me never letting anyone working on my car, and being very **** about my install jobs.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
I probably hsould hav ebeen more exact, only one person has wanted their alarm installed a specific way, for example the "brain" was mounted under the center console, all relays wrapped in carpet so you couldn't hear them "clicking" when the alarm was going off, the only thing normaly about the install was the LED placement.... I've had plenty of **** customers when it comes to their car, I personally take pride in my work and in so do my best to have a car leave in the same condition it arrives, if not better....

[QUOTE=EX_AutoXer]

Actually, I started 3 or 4 threads about alarms (as well as hijacking any thread about alarms), and never got any satisfactory responses in there; mostly just conflicting hearsay. It was tough finding good info about alarms anywhere (DEI and Cliffords sites suck), so that's why I'm sharing what little I found from my research the last few months.

[/Qoute]Yeah that forum can move slow, but I know over time I've had these same conversastions.... that's all

-------
As far as being afraid to give out your addy, if you can't trust the shop/installer what are you doing there, I've never ripped off a customer, and I've never worked with any one who was going to go to a customer's house to take car/ any belongings.... I'm sure it happens, there are alot of shady people out there, but if you can't trust the guy working on your car, then find someone else..
Old 08-24-2004, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It cmes with remote start, but they said they cant do that because of my manual tranny, and I understand that. Im not real sure what people mean by a good alarm install. Could you tell me some things that I should ask the shop if they can install them like that? Is it on all hondas that you can open the hood from outside the car. On my last civic (94) and my current (00) my friend could lay on his back and get to the hood latch and pop the hood lol. I was like ahh wtf.

Where is a good place to mount the "brain" on a 00 civic? Thanx for al the help
Old 08-24-2004, 09:51 AM
foz

I would look for a viper 690vx, maybe 691, I think 691 is the most current model. That way you aren't wasting money on a remote start you won't use, the 690(691) is a 2-way alarm only... make sure they are protecting the hood and trunk not all shops do unless requested. make sure they go through the firewall either through a factory grommet, or they add a grommet if they drill a hole...
Old 08-24-2004, 10:19 AM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">make sure they are protecting the hood and trunk not all shops do unless requested. make sure they go through the firewall either through a factory grommet, or they add a grommet if they drill a hole... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good suggestion. I'm going to have to make sure they did that on my firewall. If not, it's going back to be done right. Lifetime Warrenty on parts and labor
Old 08-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Alarms (TouringAccord)

Ok cool, where is a good place to look for that alarm? How much does it usualy run. I tryed ebay and google and couldent find any info.

Where should the brain be installed.

Quick Reply: New Alarms