Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

neutral start safety switch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neutral start safety switch?

So I got off work today and my car wouldn't start. I think it's (what i'm calling) the safety switch, which prevents the car from being started unless the clutch is depressed. I'm pushing in on the clutch, but for whatever reason the car is not recognizing it. It does everything else, dash lights come on, (light test at startup), fuel pump kicks on, etc... I've looked in my chiltons and it wasn't there, and tried the search here, but it's down for some reason. Anyway, any help is appreaciated, as my car is sitting in the shipyards. Btw, I drive a 95 cx eg, with the d15b8. (soon to be h22! )
Old 01-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: neutral start safety switch? (j_man104)

can you jump start it from a roll?
Old 01-19-2006, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: neutral start safety switch? (SkRiBLaH)

look under the dash, there are 2 pin switches on the clutch pedal assembly, the one on the very top is the saftey switch, pull the 2 pin plug and jump it with a paper clip
Old 01-19-2006, 07:59 PM

Default Re: neutral start safety switch? (sicones)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sicones &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">look under the dash, there are 2 pin switches on the clutch pedal assembly, the one on the very top is the saftey switch, pull the 2 pin plug and jump it with a paper clip</TD></TR></TABLE>

jesus, some poeple on ht are fricken smart! that or they just steal alot of cars stealing cars
Old 01-20-2006, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: neutral start safety switch? (97spooncivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97spooncivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

jesus, some poeple on ht are fricken smart! that or they just steal alot of cars stealing cars </TD></TR></TABLE>

Jumping the clutch saftey switch is not done to steal cars, most theives jump the ignition and just push the clutch in with their foot.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: neutral start safety switch? (97spooncivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97spooncivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

jesus, some poeple on ht are fricken smart! that or they just steal alot of cars stealing cars </TD></TR></TABLE>

the only time it really makes sense to bypass this switch is if
1. the switch isn't working right
2. you installed a remote start
Old 01-20-2006, 09:21 AM

Default Re: neutral start safety switch? (IHateJDM)

Hmm... ok, i'll look for it at lunch today. Is there anyway to bypass it, and is this even in the chiltons? I couldn't find it at all yesterday.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:23 AM

One more thing, what's the large one on towards the bottom, what's the purpose of that one? For one thing there's a hole in the pedal to let the pin go through, so why even have it there?
Old 01-20-2006, 10:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by j_man104 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmm... ok, i'll look for it at lunch today. Is there anyway to bypass it, and is this even in the chiltons? I couldn't find it at all yesterday.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you'll see the switch up towards the top of the pedal. if you want a permanent bypass, just cut the two wires going to the switch and splice them together. <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by j_man104 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One more thing, what's the large one on towards the bottom, what's the purpose of that one? For one thing there's a hole in the pedal to let the pin go through, so why even have it there?</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you mean where the clutch master cylinder connects to the pedal?
Old 01-20-2006, 10:31 AM

i highly discourage bypassing ur clutch on ur car... or any car

remote start is nice in the cold... but devestating if left in gear

bust out as a multimeter and test "said 2 pin plug on clutch assembly"

this might help if you are fimiliar with simple circuts
Old 01-20-2006, 03:56 PM

Default Re: neutral start safety switch? (Elwuudz)

Well I had it bypassed on the mustang for about a year and a half with no ill effects, I don't have remote start on either vehicles, so that won't be a problem. Thanks for the info guys, gald I founf this site!
Old 01-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: neutral start safety switch? (Elwuudz)

Quote, originally posted by sicones »
look under the dash, there are 2 pin switches on the clutch pedal assembly, the one on the very top is the saftey switch, pull the 2 pin plug and jump it with a paper clip

jesus, some poeple on ht are fricken smart! that or they just steal alot of cars stealing cars

I did the same thing with my Jetta today...'cept I unplugged the saftey switch, the backup (secondary) saftey switch, then fabricated: SUPER JUMPERS (took wiring u'd use in a wall, about 1 inch long, stripped it and bent it into a horse shoe shape, then hammered down the ends and it fit in nice and snug , then wraped it in electrical tape and it works like a charm ^^
Old 01-20-2006, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You said that there was a hole in the pedal where one of the switches buttons is supposed to press at? THat would mean that the little black rubber thing that sits in there popped out. Never had it happen on the clutch pedal but it has on the brake light sensor. Just a thuoght or at least that is how i read it.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:27 PM

Default Re: (Haltom Hatch)

True, it happened on my brake pedal when I first bought the car, but if it was the same case on the clutch pedal then it would read that the clutch was always depressed and I wouldn't have a problem, but no... no such luck.