Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Neo MTF vs. Honda MTF vs. GM Synchromesh (FM)

Old 10-07-2003, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neo MTF vs. Honda MTF vs. GM Synchromesh (FM)

Not sure how many people were interested in this forum but its my home forum so i am posting it here...

After swapping in a B16 factory LSD (Hydro) Tranny i used all three of the above mentioned fluids for approximately one week. I started with the Neo Fluid which i thought would be great for the application but was wrong, then i switched to Honda MTF which solved most of the problems noticed with the Neo fluid, however, i wanted to try out the GM fluid too and see how it goes so i did! Not to say that any of these fluids aren't good or worth their cost but this is my account with the above mentioned tranny...

NEO MTF
Smooth shifting when driving straight
No grinds in reverse or any other gears
Lots of clicking/grinding when accelerating through a turn at low speeds, seemingly only when on the gas, at very low speeds and low rpm, not in neutral or downshifting

Honda MTF
Mostly smooth shifting when driving straight
Slight grind when shifting into second at high rpm, more stiff reverse shifting
Less clicking when turning but still slight clicking at low rpm turns in first gear and second gear

GM Synchromesh (Friction modified)
Very smooth shifting when driving straight
No grinds in any gears and very smooth reverse, even going into first from a roll seemed smoother.
No clicking in turns or going straight in any gear/any speed

By my account the GM Synchromesh was by far the best fluid used in my tranny (B16 factory LSD, Hydro), the Neo fluid definitely was not the right fluid for me, the Honda MTF was of course good/better was what suprised me was the GM Synchromesh. The stuff made a great feel even better, no clicking from the LSD at all. The slight grind i had in second gear was gone after two or three days of the synchromesh being in.

there you have it

-Bryan-

'08 Update - I ran this fluid for almost 2 years, changed it one time replacing with the same fluid and continued to be impressed. Now I purposefully left some things out and left other things up for interpretation with my original post.

MORE THAN LIKELY, the LSD in my tranny was not factory. After many discussions about this problem a consensus was reached that the LSD was in fact aftermarket, and was one of the more "noisy lsd's".

What the Synchromesh did was provide a thicker solution that helped to slow down moving parts to avoid grinding. Thats all. I do not mean to claim that GM's fluid provides superior protection of any parts within the tranny.

There may have been damage within this tranny, I never did crack it open to check it out. But hey I drove around with it without any problems for about 2 years so why would I bother to open it up anyways

Modified by DCStreetHtch at 12:54 PM 8/19/2008
Old 10-07-2003, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Neo MTF vs. Honda MTF vs. GM Synchromesh (EGStreetHtch)

Totally agree.. GM Syncromesh maks it feel like a new tranny
Old 10-07-2003, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Neo MTF vs. Honda MTF vs. GM Synchromesh (jolt-tsp)

How long will the synchromesh keep your tranny grind-free? Keep us updated as your synchromesh ages...
Old 10-07-2003, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Neo MTF vs. Honda MTF vs. GM Synchromesh ((T_T))

Thanks for the info. I was just wondering what to use in my factory LSD tranny. I'm just worried about long term effects if there are any. Right now I'm using Honda MTF.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Neo MTF vs. Honda MTF vs. GM Synchromesh (Kikomon)

thanks for the review
Old 10-07-2003, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Neo MTF vs. Honda MTF vs. GM Synchromesh (whoDAT)

I got the fluid from my local Chevy dealership parts store, it was about 14 bucks and some change a quart. I bought three quarts so its definitely pricey. Keep in mind they will not return any fluids so make sure you get the right fluid the first time. Its a square bottle just like most quarts of oil!

-Bryan-
Old 10-07-2003, 10:15 AM
New User

which neo? 7w?
Old 10-07-2003, 10:20 AM

$14/qt dang, I would also like to know of any long term use information of the GM syncromesh fluid used in a Honda trans. Please share if you have or get some.
I'll probably stick to Honda MTL unless some long terms results start to show some interesting results.
Thanks for posting your results

Modified by BROOD at 11:33 AM 10/7/2003
Old 10-07-2003, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Neo MTF vs. Honda MTF vs. GM Synchromesh (BROOD)

I got mine from napa, in a cylindrical bottle... it was for my s2k.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:38 AM
HT Black Ops

I used to have a 3rd gear grind after shifting from high RPMS, but I got some of the GM Syncromesh Friction modified stuff for 11$ a quart at a chevy dealer( I guess that stuff is for guys how tow stuff or corvettes, cuase the guy at the counter was shocked to know I was putting it in my civic) The fist bottles they brought out were just the reagular syncromesh not the friction modified stuff, seems it's kind of a rareity for them to sell this stuff(some old guy behind the counter new what I was talking about) almost imidiately I noticed my shfiter felt like it was a knife cutting though hot butter on a summers afternoon! I love this stuff! Been using it for over a month now and it just seems to get better and better! for the on GM product I would ever buy!
Old 10-07-2003, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Neo MTF vs. Honda MTF vs. GM Synchromesh (92 civic VX B18c)

Would someone post a part number of the Friction Moddified GM synchromesh fluid? It would surely help someone later on to make positive that they have the correct stuff. Let's just say that not every parts counter is inhabited by "good" parts guys.

*below* awsome info, thanks
Old 10-07-2003, 11:52 AM
HT Black Ops

Here's the lowdown on the Synchromesh fluid:
Synchromesh transmission fluid is designed for certain manual transaxles and transmission used by GM and Chrysler.

GM part# 12345349, or AC-Delco part# 10-4006, or Chrysler part# 4874464.

Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid (Friction Modified) was intended for New Ventures NV1500 transmission, used by GM and Chrysler.

GM part# 12377916, or AC-Delco part# 10-4014. Chrysler uses a seperate additive, part# 4318060.

BTW, synchromesh is made by Pennzoil, and can be found under the brand of Pennzoil or Quaker State.

Synchromesh has a temp range of -40C to +150C for those interested in its temp range.

http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsh...d.PDF

Old 10-07-2003, 12:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BROOD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would someone post a part number of the Friction Moddified GM synchromesh fluid? It would surely help someone later on to make positive that they have the correct stuff. Let's just say that not every parts counter is inhabited by "good" parts guys.</TD></TR></TABLE>god, isn't THAT ever true.... check and doublecheck what you need before going to a parts store: you never know what kind of person is behind the counter, as far as how knowledgeable he is.
I'd like to know where I can get this stuff for my b16 CRX.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Neo MTF vs. Honda MTF vs. GM Synchromesh (Hybrid Invasion)

I have a Honda MTF in my tranny know but will soon be changing to the synchromesh cause ive had it before and it rocked.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Neo MTF vs. Honda MTF vs. GM Synchromesh (jDmDxTuRd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jDmDxTuRd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a Honda MTF in my tranny know but will soon be changing to the synchromesh cause ive had it before and it rocked. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i was there the day you put the syncromesh in. why did you change it back out again?
Old 10-07-2003, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

&lt;&lt;&lt; redline MTL user, no complaints.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do not waste time with the cylindrical bottle of GM synchromesh.. it will do you basically no better than honda MTF.

"Friction Modified" are the key words..
Old 10-07-2003, 12:50 PM
sil

Default Re: Neo MTF vs. Honda MTF vs. GM Synchromesh (92 civic VX B18c)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92 civic VX B18c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BTW, synchromesh is made by Pennzoil, and can be found under the brand of Pennzoil or Quaker State.
Synchromesh has a temp range of -40C to +150C for those interested in its temp range.
http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsh...d.PDF
</TD></TR></TABLE>
FYI link is dead.. i picked up the syncromesh for $9/bottle.. and when you say pennzoil made, you don't mean pennzoil branded too do you?.. in other words can i find 'gm syncromesh friction modified' tranny fluid at pep boys under some pennzoil name??
Old 10-07-2003, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Called the dealer in Madison Wisconsin and it is $13.76 a quart here. Going to try it out this spring.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:10 PM
HT Black Ops

Default Re: (ONE.SIX SI)

Round bottle is just GM syncromesh(it's no better then Honda MFT)
Oil bottle looking bottle is GM Syncromesh Friction Modified
Old 10-07-2003, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92 civic VX B18c)

good visual, i chose to only review them all on a weeks basis because thats how long i ran the neo and it wouldn't be fair to give the other fluids more time... i will however report on this thread my opinion after a month or so usage for you guys!!

-Bryan-
Old 10-07-2003, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey guys do you think this will solve a slight grind i have when i go into 3rd and 4th,cause i just put in some new honda mtf a couple months ago and it''s still the same
Old 10-07-2003, 02:24 PM
HT Black Ops

Default Re: (singlecam screamer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by singlecam screamer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey guys do you think this will solve a slight grind i have when i go into 3rd and 4th,cause i just put in some new honda mtf a couple months ago and it''s still the same</TD></TR></TABLE>
It can't hurt to try
Old 10-07-2003, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks dude for the help
Old 10-07-2003, 02:38 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92 civic VX B18c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Round bottle is just GM syncromesh(it's no better then Honda MFT)
Oil bottle looking bottle is GM Syncromesh Friction Modified </TD></TR></TABLE>k, so theres no specific part#, it's all pretty much universal?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Neo MTF vs. Honda MTF vs. GM Synchromesh (FM)