Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need your opinions... swap/bogs/serious problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need your opinions... swap/bogs/serious problems

ok, so my car is a 99 cx hatch. ran perfectly fine before the swap. the swap is from a 94 acura integra gsr. also ran perfectly fine before taken out to swap into my car. i also had the whole car so everything was taken out of that car. did the swap, was in limp mode, got rid of all cel lights, no more limp mode. however now motor won't take any revs. if i rev it slowly it climbs up to about 3k, then sputters like its gonna die. quick revs (like the ones ricers give on the streets) just cause the rpm to drop really low. replaced fuel pump, cause i thought that might be the prob. took the car down the block, and 1st gear doesn't go past 2k. 2nd doesn't go anywhere. and this is all going 10,15, maybe 20 mph. i was thinking maybe its something in my exhaust that's plugging up??? used the b-mid pipe from the gsr. the swap was sitting around for 6 months along with the exhaust piping. what does this sound like to you guys? i really need some opinions, it has taken me about a month and half now to do this, and its getting pretty irritating. everything that could go wrong has.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: need your opinions... swap/bogs/serious problems (bogus_ek)

I just had that problem, and I opted to start small. I bought plug wires, plugs, and a distributor rotor. Changed all that ****, and it runs perfect (poor mans ITR setup in an EG)

Your best bet is to start w/ the little stuff, and check the timing.

Goodluck man
Old 05-05-2005, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bogus_ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, so my car is a 99 cx hatch. ran perfectly fine before the swap. the swap is from a 94 acura integra gsr. also ran perfectly fine before taken out to swap into my car. i also had the whole car so everything was taken out of that car. did the swap, was in limp mode, got rid of all cel lights, no more limp mode. however now motor won't take any revs. if i rev it slowly it climbs up to about 3k, then sputters like its gonna die. quick revs (like the ones ricers give on the streets) just cause the rpm to drop really low. replaced fuel pump, cause i thought that might be the prob. took the car down the block, and 1st gear doesn't go past 2k. 2nd doesn't go anywhere. and this is all going 10,15, maybe 20 mph. i was thinking maybe its something in my exhaust that's plugging up??? used the b-mid pipe from the gsr. the swap was sitting around for 6 months along with the exhaust piping. what does this sound like to you guys? i really need some opinions, it has taken me about a month and half now to do this, and its getting pretty irritating. everything that could go wrong has. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you suspect a plugged exhaust, then unbolt it and see if that solves the problem. Easy to do and will rule it out in 5 mins.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:21 AM

Default Re: need your opinions... swap/bogs/serious problems (PLANBmotorsports)

dizzy is a 2000, had to buy it to get it to work on with my wiring harness. plugs are new. re-did the timing already. will check plug wires...
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you suspect a plugged exhaust, then unbolt it and see if that solves the problem. Easy to do and will rule it out in 5 mins.</TD></TR></TABLE>

will this affect the way the O2 sensor reads anything... cause the O2 is bolted onto the cat. guess still worth a shot... will try that tonight.

thanks for the input.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bogus_ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dizzy is a 2000, had to buy it to get it to work on with my wiring harness. plugs are new. re-did the timing already. will check plug wires...

will this affect the way the O2 sensor reads anything... cause the O2 is bolted onto the cat. guess still worth a shot... will try that tonight.

thanks for the input.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Should be fine for testing. Its not going to throw off the readings enough to cause any problems if its only done for a brief time.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Re: need your opinions... swap/bogs/serious problems (Hybrid93Eg)

ok... so i took the exhaust off the header... same problem, so its not a plugged up exhaust. rotor and dizzy are fine... plugs are good too... so now i don't know what to do. gonna take the timing gun to it tomorrow...need more suggestions please!
Old 05-07-2005, 04:34 PM

Bump....Man i know how it feels not knowing whats wrong with your car just be patient you'll find whats wrong with it
Old 05-07-2005, 05:05 PM

have you check the valves? did a compression test? a compression test will tell you alot of things. but check the valve lash. also i would invest $30 for a b&m fuel pressure gauge. install in like 15minutes if you dont know how to do it already. see what your fuel pressure is. sounds like either a fuel or timming .... wait what ecu?
Old 05-08-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Re: need your opinions... swap/bogs/serious problems (tunedek)

its obdI p72 ecu... here's what i know. took the timing gun to it today. #1 cylinder at idle fires on the white mark instead of the red. when you rev the car, it seems to just retard itself until it's about to die. at idle, #4 cylinder barely fires. re-checked the timing, had it checked by other people dead on...also, getting fuel, cause all plugs were pitch black. i'm starting to think somethings wrong with the dizzy. had to rewire an obd 2a dizzy for my obd 2b wiring harness... no dizzy cel, though??? someone's had to have had a similar problem before.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

try replacing the coil. same problem happened to mine last week.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bogus_ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its obdI p72 ecu... here's what i know. took the timing gun to it today. #1 cylinder at idle fires on the white mark instead of the red. when you rev the car, it seems to just retard itself until it's about to die. at idle, #4 cylinder barely fires. re-checked the timing, had it checked by other people dead on...also, getting fuel, cause all plugs were pitch black. i'm starting to think somethings wrong with the dizzy. had to rewire an obd 2a dizzy for my obd 2b wiring harness... no dizzy cel, though??? someone's had to have had a similar problem before.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The dist's are the same, so repinning them will not cause an issue. You can even use OBD-1 dist repinned on OBD-2. Your timing it clearly off, and this can and will cause the problems you mentioned. Have you tried to set the timing? When you set the timing did you bridge the service connector inside the car? Sometimes, not always, if you don't do this, it will not correctly set timing. If you have done this and still can't get it in spec, check the timing belt to make sure its correctly timed. Do you have adjustable cam gears also?
Old 05-08-2005, 01:21 PM

What is the service connector inside the car??? is this the same connector you use to check yor cel's? i did set the timing, and have double checked it many times. at tdc all marks line up, and the cam marks line up. they're stock cam gears. if the service connector is the same one you use to check cel's, then after setting to tdc, can i just jump the connector, then start the car???
Old 05-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bogus_ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bogus_ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is the service connector inside the car??? is this the same connector you use to check yor cel's? i did set the timing, and have double checked it many times. at tdc all marks line up, and the cam marks line up. they're stock cam gears. if the service connector is the same one you use to check cel's, then after setting to tdc, can i just jump the connector, then start the car???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, maybe I don't understand the problem then... You said when you check timing with the gun, its showing that its on the the white mark (TDC) and not at 16btdc (red) mark... Are you not able to adjust it in spec using the range on the dist? Are you using a snap on gun that allows you to dial the timing setting on the gun (digital)?
Old 05-08-2005, 03:39 PM

tried the adjusting the dist... couldn't get it close. no not a digital gun, just a regular timing gun. like i said it seems to be running like the timing is retarded, and when you rev then just retards further til it's almost dead. if you watch the timing marks with the gun, as you rev it just move further and further away from the red timing mark.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:50 AM

i guess no one knows?
Old 05-10-2005, 05:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bogus_ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> if the service connector is the same one you use to check cel's, then after setting to tdc, can i just jump the connector, then start the car???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, jump this connector, start the car, check timing. If the service connector isn't jumped, the ecu is allowed to make changes to fuel and ignition maps. When the connector is jumped, it runs in closed loop mode, and you can properly set the timing. It sounds like a timing problem to me too.
BTW, make sure you don't drive it with the service connector jumped.

Modified by IHateJDM at 8:29 AM 5/10/2005
Old 05-10-2005, 05:28 AM

you might have tps and map switched, or bad spark plug.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:34 AM

checked the wiring diagrams for map and tps so i'm pretty sure thats good to go. will do the service connector thing.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:22 AM

bump for my hottie!!! I want my garage space back!!!
Old 05-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bogus_ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tried the adjusting the dist... couldn't get it close. no not a digital gun, just a regular timing gun. like i said it seems to be running like the timing is retarded, and when you rev then just retards further til it's almost dead. if you watch the timing marks with the gun, as you rev it just move further and further away from the red timing mark.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you can't get the dist to adjust the timing in spec then I think one of two things is the problem.

1). Either the timing belt is off in relation to the crank
2). Your TDC/CYP/CKP sensor is messed up

Normally, with #2, you will get a code (4, 8, and 9)... but the thing is, with reman distributors a LOT of the time they assemble these slightly off. I don't know how, but I have had FOUR reman distributors and they were all off and prevented me from getting timing into spec. There are some checks you can do in the Helm, but these will only verify the integrity of the sensor itself, not that its positioned correctly on the dist. The best way to "Test" this theroy is to install a known good dist and see if it allows you to correctly set timing. If it does, you found your problem.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

I would also double check the coil.....that could be the problem too...
Old 05-10-2005, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DBLAZE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DBLAZE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would also double check the coil.....that could be the problem too...</TD></TR></TABLE>

The coil wouldn't prevent him from being able to correctly set his timing though. Thats the thing, from what he said, he cann't get the timing to go past TDC.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:22 AM

well... i bought the dist from a guy on here, and it's got all the oem honda marks on there. i was wondering, because i had to rewire it to fit on my wiring harness, could it be that i switched some wires, but the ecu isn't reading that. i mean sometimes when map and tps are switched there is no cel. so maybe some switched dist wires are messing it up???
Old 05-10-2005, 11:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that is very possible.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bogus_ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well... i bought the dist from a guy on here, and it's got all the oem honda marks on there. i was wondering, because i had to rewire it to fit on my wiring harness, could it be that i switched some wires, but the ecu isn't reading that. i mean sometimes when map and tps are switched there is no cel. so maybe some switched dist wires are messing it up???</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would think that it would for sure cause it to toss a CEL and run like complete crap if you wired it wrong... A problem with any of those sensors will toss a code while cranking, much less while running. I find it rather hard to believe that you got it wrong. Checking certainly won't hurt though. Take a pic of the dist connector to where we can see the wire colors and we can check it out.

Quick Reply: need your opinions... swap/bogs/serious problems