Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need your opinion on my swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your opinion on my swap

hey guys, I'm just looking for opinions, trying to weigh my options and figure out the best route

<u>Quick background</u>, Had an '06 Civic EX —&gt; wrecked, long story short, sitting in garage and just taking up space, not drivable but motor works just fine —&gt; replacement car is a free 93 honda civic DX —&gt; motor in DX has some issues (bucks back and forth like it has a bent valve), tranny possibly has issue (autotragic... stutters sometimes when giving it gas) ¯_— Okay, now your caught up

I will be having a shop doing the swap for me as this is my DD and I can not afford ANY downtime because I NEED to get to work with my new house mortgage... so please no comments on "do it yourself".... thank you

<u>Option A.) </u>
I've been doing some research, found that the R18 motor (stock motor in the 06' Civic EX) uses the same motor mounts as the 06-08 Civic Si K20Z3... with that said I just need K-series motor mounts for a 92-95 civic and it should bolt right in now problem, it' s a 1.8L iVtec motor, got decent mileage (32-34 MPG) and in the EJ2 I have now, should get even better mileage considering the car is lighter and smaller
Pro: has cold *** AC and something I miss... Cruise Control! FREE legit motor
Con (and the only one I can think of): is that the R18 is a DBW setup... not sure how that's going to work out or if it's possible (but I'm sure the shop can figure it out)

<u>Option B.)</u>
In researching.... found that the JDM D15b, it can be had for under $700 (not bad)
Con 1: I don't know what kind of MPG I would get (MPGs are important as I commute to work and gas is through the roof this day and age)
Con 2: I'm spending money on a motor when I have one chillin in the garage
Con 3: concerned about legality of motor as I need car to remain street legal and pass CA emissions, etc.. etc..

I ask you for your opinion (and vote) as well as your educated response

Thanks!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Need your opinion on my swap (Declectic)

I would like to see an R18 swapped 5th gen. It would be interesting.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need your opinion on my swap (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would like to see an R18 swapped 5th gen. It would be interesting.</TD></TR></TABLE>
QTF!!! Kind of another reason I want to do the R18 swap as it's never been done and would like to put it out there as another option in the vast majority of motor swaps for 5th gen civics
Old 05-28-2008, 01:05 PM

IMO, i think it would be cheaper, more reliable, and faster (less downtime) to go with the with the D15B. I think with the R18, it would take some more time to do the swap because it is very uncommon so your resources are pretty limited. And plus i don't think that a SOHC 1.5 L would be that bad on gas even with the prices we have today. As for the legality issue with the D15B, i'm not really sure as i live in Canada.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

option a, i wana see the r18 swap
Old 05-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

r18 and provide tons of pics=]
Old 05-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Option B. Let's be realistic here for a minute. You need to make sure there's no downtime for your car right? I highly doubt there is much info out there for the R18 swap, so wiring it up alone is going to be a headache; regardless of whether the shop has done hundreds of swaps previously. Wiring alone may take a business day to sort out. Wiring for the D15b? Maybe 3 wires for vtec. $700 for the D15B. $649 for the Hasport mount kit alone, plus any small random parts that you can't just steal off the '06. I would assume the shop will also charge you a lot more to put in the R18 engine than they would for simply putting in another D-series. If they charge the same, find another place to put this one in and go back to the current shop for future swaps. If the mpg from the D15b's transmission isn't good enough, sell it and find another D-series that is geared longer. If emissions are a problem, try and find a USDM engine from a junkyard, it will probably be cheaper anyways.

There's no doubt it'd be a cool thing to see done, but lets be real here. IMO it comes down to downtime. You could get a D-series in there in a matter of hours, the same can not be said about the R18. That's just my opinion.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicSpoon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSpoon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Option B. Let's be realistic here for a minute. You need to make sure there's no downtime for your car right? I highly doubt there is much info out there for the R18 swap, so wiring it up alone is going to be a headache; regardless of whether the shop has done hundreds of swaps previously. Wiring alone may take a business day to sort out. Wiring for the D15b? Maybe 3 wires for vtec. $700 for the D15B. $649 for the Hasport mount kit alone, plus any small random parts that you can't just steal off the '06. I would assume the shop will also charge you a lot more to put in the R18 engine than they would for simply putting in another D-series. If they charge the same, find another place to put this one in and go back to the current shop for future swaps. If the mpg from the D15b's transmission isn't good enough, sell it and find another D-series that is geared longer. If emissions are a problem, try and find a USDM engine from a junkyard, it will probably be cheaper anyways.

There's no doubt it'd be a cool thing to see done, but lets be real here. IMO it comes down to downtime. You could get a D-series in there in a matter of hours, the same can not be said about the R18. That's just my opinion.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I really appreciate your response, allow me to clarify "down time". I've personally never done a motor swap in my life, albeit I hear "it's easy" (and I'm sure it is)... I just don't have the time to sit there, figure it all out and to do it all myself with the EJ2 being my DD (had I had another car, would have started the R18 swap myself) . So with that said, the downtime I refer to, is letting professionals handle the job, and if need be, I can take... 1 week (or more if needed) off of work. I suppose the other thing I need to start doing is calling around...

I initially wanted RedZone Performance to do this for me, I filled out their "Request a quote" page (http://www.redzoneperformance.com/contact/quote.html) and have yet to receive a response and is making me re-think who I chose to do this.

As far as the D-series, yes they seem readily available, not a lot of sites are selling them however So far, I have only found Hmotorsonline, $525 for the motor (and they are sold out, no ETA on new arrivals) and an additional $250 for the tranny

So all in... when it comes down to parts... they seem to be about even and I think it's more about paying for the labor than it is the parts? not sure
Old 06-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Declectic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Declectic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I really appreciate your response, allow me to clarify "down time". I've personally never done a motor swap in my life, albeit I hear "it's easy" (and I'm sure it is)... I just don't have the time to sit there, figure it all out and to do it all myself with the EJ2 being my DD (had I had another car, would have started the R18 swap myself) . So with that said, the downtime I refer to, is letting professionals handle the job, and if need be, I can take... 1 week (or more if needed) off of work. I suppose the other thing I need to start doing is calling around...

I initially wanted RedZone Performance to do this for me, I filled out their "Request a quote" page (http://www.redzoneperformance.com/contact/quote.html) and have yet to receive a response and is making me re-think who I chose to do this.

As far as the D-series, yes they seem readily available, not a lot of sites are selling them however So far, I have only found Hmotorsonline, $525 for the motor (and they are sold out, no ETA on new arrivals) and an additional $250 for the tranny

So all in... when it comes down to parts... they seem to be about even and I think it's more about paying for the labor than it is the parts? not sure</TD></TR></TABLE>

PM'ed
Old 06-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need your opinion on my swap (Declectic)

If you have deep pockets and lots of time to spare then go with option A. If you want something that's on a budget, works, and is relatively easy to swap go with a d15bvtec.