Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need your help deciding??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your help deciding??

If you had the choice, would you rather buy a clean EG hatch with a motor swap.....or a clean stock EK? And why?

I'm having a hard time deciding right now.....so thought some Honda guys could help me out.

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2006, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Need your help deciding?? (PumaFiveOh)

Nobody?? No opinions as to which choice is better and why?

Or is it just a preference thing, and both cars are pretty much the same except for cosmetic differences?
Old 03-24-2006, 11:45 AM

Not exactly a "tech" related topic so this is kinda in the wrong forum, but, i say go with the stock ek just because its stock and you dont have to worry about what has been done to it or if anything is wrong with it, unless you know the complete history of the car and swap. Then it just boils down to plain personal preferance, what do you like better----->eg v.s. ek???? Check everything out on both before you make a choice.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:45 AM

i would rather have a clean EK b/c i honestly dont trust other people's work when it comes to swaps. Even if they had a shop do it, so many half *** their work now a days and at least if its stock, you know what mods you have done to it, etc you arent buying someone else's screw ups or mistakes
Old 03-24-2006, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Need your help deciding?? (00CivicGirl)

Yes, very well said and I agree with you 100% about not buying other peoples problems. It's just tempting to buy something that's already completed and I only have to worry about upkeep and fixing small issues that it may have.

My problem is, this car is going to be my daily driver, and a bone stock EK or even modded with same 1.6 engine is going to make me wanna kill myself. And if I spend the money to buy the newer EK, I won't have money for an engine swap or making it nicer. But for the same price I have a fully modded ready to go EG. That's the real dilemma.

I guess the reason I posted in the tech section, was I was wondering if there are any major differences between the two body styles. Like if one has better handling or clutch assembly, or maybe with the EK Honda changed this or that??? Something that would make the EK or EG more appealing down the line. Of course I know it's a lot harder and stricter performing a swap on an EK.....you know, differences like that?
Old 03-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PumaFiveOh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Of course I know it's a lot harder and stricter performing a swap on an EK.....you know, differences like that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you asking that or saying that?

EK's have a considerable amount of room compared to an EG. My friend has a EG, we both did a 1.8 swap in two weekends, we also both brought out b16's. i brought mine out with the shiftlinkage in my EK way easier than his without the linkage. Swapping in theres visibly more room, i can drop the 1.8 straight down with my PS and Alt belts on tight!

If you have the money now, I'd go EK. of course I am biased, they look 10x better too

&lt;3 EG's too ofcourse
Old 03-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As well, I think an h22 will drop right in without modding the firewall.. the EG you need a sledgehammer basically to get the IM in there (oversized and aftermarket ofcouse)
Old 03-24-2006, 12:46 PM

Default Re: (EK9_LS-T)

Well I wasn't saying it's harder phisically, I meant law wise and finding a newer motor. A 96-97 would be pretty cool, but imagine trying to perform a legit swap on a 00 EK.

And as for the H22, no thanks. I would never want to have a HB with an H22, too nose heavy and I've hated all the HB's I've been in with H22's. A nice little gsr motor would do just fine for everyday driving and saving gas.

And you are right about the EK looking good. Some EG's can be made to look really nice, but a white EK is just SEXSAY!!!
Old 03-24-2006, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PumaFiveOh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PumaFiveOh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I would never want to have a HB with an H22, too nose heavy and I've hated all the HB's I've been in with H22's.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

50lbs heavier, i would never be able to tell its heavier!

99 - 00 &gt; 96 - 98 too (now im getting picky)

Not sure what you mean by legit swap on a 99/00?
Old 03-24-2006, 07:35 PM

Default Re: (EK9_LS-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK9_LS-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

50lbs heavier, i would never be able to tell its heavier!

99 - 00 &gt; 96 - 98 too (now im getting picky)

Not sure what you mean by legit swap on a 99/00?</TD></TR></TABLE>

100% agree = 99 - 00 &gt; 96 - 98

I think what he means by legit swap is that if he gets an EK which is OBD2 he will have issues if he does an OBD1 swap and seeing that hes from Cali thats his main issue prob is passing all the tests out there
Old 03-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (00CivicGirl)

if you have the knowledge to fix things, then go with the swapped eg. i do that cause it looks coo and got the speed. find someone with a swapped eg with some problems they cant figure out and buy it and fix it. thats how i do it
Old 03-24-2006, 09:07 PM

Default Re: (fmrprojects)

id go with the eg personally if its real clean and at a good price and plus egs are so much nicer imo
Old 03-25-2006, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00CivicGirl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

100% agree = 99 - 00 &gt; 96 - 98

I think what he means by legit swap is that if he gets an EK which is OBD2 he will have issues if he does an OBD1 swap and seeing that hes from Cali thats his main issue prob is passing all the tests out there</TD></TR></TABLE>

got you now. im in canada, i dont need anything

wiring is a bastard, but honestly nothing an hour or two cant fix with an obd2b harness converted to obd1 with a conversion harness. however, if you wanted it all "legit" converting an obd2 car to fully obd1 is the biggest pain in the *** every (full wireharness swap...)
Old 03-28-2006, 10:45 AM

Yupp, CivicGirl nailed it on the head....because this will be my daily commuter gas saver car, I want it to be 100% legal. So getting it BAR'd would be the #1 thing to do on my list.

I guess now the hunt goes on in finding the perfect car for my needs. And since a clean white EK HB is almost impossible to find, I'll try finding a clean EG with a swap.