Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need your alls opinion!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your alls opinion!!!

Ok so lets start off by my story. I used to have a 96 EX Coupe with a b16a2 swap that I bought stock and preety much built up myself. You can see my build thread in my sig.

Well the car was stolen on Dec 12, 2009 the day after my birthday. I had only liability insurance so I was screwed.

So now im car less and im back trying to get into another Honda ><

OK I have narrowed it down to 3 builds.

Build #1:
F20B paired with B series transmission

Build #2
H22A with stock transmission

Build #3
H22A paired with B Series transmission

Now I know the H2B conversion is gonna cost me $700. So thats a nice added cost to the build. Also I would like to know the cons of having a b series tranny on an H22/F20B.

Basically the car I want to put this in, is an EG Hatch and 2nd choice would be EG Coupe.

What are your guys opinion.

I basically want this as a daily drive that I can have some fun with aswell. The most I will modify will be (Header, Exhaust, Intake Manifold, CAI, Chipped ECU).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Need your alls opinion!!!

I haven't heard any bad feedback yet from the H2B conversions. I personally love the H22. It looks big in the bay and the torque is awesome. The only thing I ever hated on mine was the way the shifting felt. So I'm assuming a B series tranny would do it justice.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally think all of those are terrible ideas.

H2B IMO is only worth it if your building the car to race every weekend. Its expensive for what you get.

The F20 builds are a bit unconventional as well, not many people do them right and they still arent fast for the money you put down.

Leaves me w/ the straight h22 swap, still not my fav but out of the 3 thats what i would do. H series trannys feel like *** when you shift, stiff and choppy.

Are you over the B series builds or what? Or just trying to be different?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
I personally think all of those are terrible ideas.

H2B IMO is only worth it if your building the car to race every weekend. Its expensive for what you get.

The F20 builds are a bit unconventional as well, not many people do them right and they still arent fast for the money you put down.

Leaves me w/ the straight h22 swap, still not my fav but out of the 3 thats what i would do. H series trannys feel like *** when you shift, stiff and choppy.

Are you over the B series builds or what? Or just trying to be different?
B series builds are getting played out, IMO. The H2B can seem expensive to some, while not so expensive to others. I don't think it's just a track thing, especially if you get like a gsr tranny. You'll have power similiar to a K20 and the shifting will feel like a B series. I would go for it. Yes you need to buy a conversion kit but you also save money on the swap itself. I paid like 1100 for my swap. Bough a B tranny for 400, the conversion kit for 700, and mounts and axles for like another 600. That's 2800. I sold the H tranny for 350. Give or take I after all the random little things and careful shopping, I was in like 3100. Which around here, that's the cost of an installed B swap.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by crzycivic206
B series builds are getting played out, IMO. The H2B can seem expensive to some, while not so expensive to others. I don't think it's just a track thing, especially if you get like a gsr tranny. You'll have power similiar to a K20 and the shifting will feel like a B series. I would go for it. Yes you need to buy a conversion kit but you also save money on the swap itself. I paid like 1100 for my swap. Bough a B tranny for 400, the conversion kit for 700, and mounts and axles for like another 600. That's 2800. I sold the H tranny for 350. Give or take I after all the random little things and careful shopping, I was in like 3100. Which around here, that's the cost of an installed B swap.
my biggest thing is H series swaps are so limited compared to a b series. they are a breed of their own. they take expensive parts if you wanna build it compared to a b series. so if you plan on running it stock all the time then run with it. modding anything internal will be a different story though. You could do a LSV build for cheap as well, and it would probably outperform the h22.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
my biggest thing is H series swaps are so limited compared to a b series. they are a breed of their own. they take expensive parts if you wanna build it compared to a b series. so if you plan on running it stock all the time then run with it. modding anything internal will be a different story though. You could do a LSV build for cheap as well, and it would probably outperform the h22.
Here's my last thought... I have personally had both b and h swaps and had them both built. The prices as far as parts go, are about the same. The H parts will maybe be a few bucks more but not really. I'm not too familiar with the Ls v swaps but I'm sure the H2B would murk it. I'm just basing it off hp. Can't go wrong with a 2.2 vtec. Either way, if you do end up doing some sort of H swap, MAKE SURE you get a manual timing belt tensioner. Only like 75 bucks brand new from Honda I think... Whatever your course, good luck and build for yourself and not others. That's what HT is about.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My opinion is, if you're going to put one of these torquey engines into Civic, you should put it in the one with the longest wheel base possible.