Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Need you HT gurus help, unsafe car needs fixing. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/need-you-ht-gurus-help-unsafe-car-needs-fixing-858555/)

Nitto 05-08-2004 09:26 AM

Need you HT gurus help, unsafe car needs fixing.

The car is a 94 coupe. Heres the problem. I bought my car already lowered with the rims. Now, my problem is, since the car is dropped 2 inches the tires seep in. Due to this, I hear its stripping my ball joints correct? And now I believe I need new control arms. The alignment is horribly off of course and the car pulls insanely sometimes I almost get pulled off the road. My question is this, tell me if Im right on these things and what I want to do is right. I know I need a camber kit to fix the tires from seeping in, since they seep in so far the tread on one side of the tire is new, and the other half is worn, its horrible. Also, I was going to get new control arms along with a camber kit, do ball joints come with control arms? What are some good aftermarket control arms and camber kits? If any one can link me I would greatly appreciate it, a lot. So will this fix my problem? It‚’s so bad Ive actually blown a tire on the highway, and its really unsafe.

So, what I need is new control arms, ball joints, then a camber kit, then get the car aligned. Is this correct? If not, help, also with links to the parts you recommend.

Thanks guys.

ABK 05-08-2004 09:29 AM

Re: Need you HT gurus help, unsafe car needs fixing. (teh_zyk)

you don't need new cotroll arms, how do you know if your balljoints are messed up. You got to put it on the lift and see if anything is messed up. Second of all, it's the first thing you do after you lower your car is fix the alligment.

Nitto 05-08-2004 09:34 AM

NTB told me I needed them. When I lifted the car, you can grab the tire and wobble it back and forth about 2 inches.

civic-si-2000 05-08-2004 09:34 AM

Re: Need you HT gurus help, unsafe car needs fixing. (ABK)

check the balljoints and see if they are ruptered. you may need to buy a camber kit and get it aligned. make sure you get a print out and show the before and after on the alignment. camber does not wear tires out that bad. It's the toe that gets you.

civic-si-2000 05-08-2004 09:35 AM

Re: Need you HT gurus help, unsafe car needs fixing. (civic-si-2000)

i've got a cheapo ebay kit going on 1 year w/ no problems. DO NOT GET SKUNK2!

Nitto 05-08-2004 09:42 AM

what would you recommend? I pulled alot up on ebay.

Built Beast 05-08-2004 09:50 AM

Re: (teh_zyk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teh_zyk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NTB told me I needed them. When I lifted the car, you can grab the tire and wobble it back and forth about 2 inches.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep, that is what you can do when you have bad ball joints.

JDM PRO 05-08-2004 09:59 AM

Re: Need you HT gurus help, unsafe car needs fixing. (ABK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you don't need new cotroll arms, how do you know if your balljoints are messed up. You got to put it on the lift and see if anything is messed up. Second of all, it's the first thing you do after you lower your car is fix the alligment.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the previous owner lowered the car already

Nitto 05-08-2004 10:03 AM

so does that sound right do you guys?

New control arms &gt; new ball joints &gt; camber kit &gt; get the car aligned (god that's costly)

Can you guys recommend a few parts?

jameskersten1 05-08-2004 10:18 AM

someone correct me if i am wrong but i dont see any reason for you to change your control arms. if the ball joints are fucked, replace them, get a camber kit to help with the toe problem, like someone said before, its not camber that kills tires, it toe, align it properly. i just dont see any reason to replaced control arms unless you want something better, like upgrading but keeping it cheap i suggest what i wrote above.

Nitto 05-08-2004 10:42 AM

That makes sense. See, when I went to NTB to get it aligned they told me "Sorry, we can't do it. You need new control arms, look the way your tire wobbles". OEM control arms are a dealer part anyway, so it's a pain. But, I can't align it until i get that fixed.

norcalcrx 05-08-2004 12:14 PM

If you can move the tire back and forth with the wheels off the ground it can also be a bad wheel bearing.

ABK 05-08-2004 01:34 PM

Re: (norcalcrx)

ok if you tire move back and forth it could be alot of shit, you should look what's exactly is causing it to move, so lift it up and look. It could be bad bushing(s), balljoints, tie rods and so on. Second of all I don't see a reason why to replace any control arms just replace the bushings or the balljoints that are moving. if you are going to replace your bushings replace them with some stiffer ones (energy suspension, or something else).

Tokyo_X-treme_Racer 05-08-2004 03:27 PM

Re: Need you HT gurus help, unsafe car needs fixing. (civic-si-2000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic-si-2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've got a cheapo ebay kit going on 1 year w/ no problems. DO NOT GET SKUNK2!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've got skunk2's for over a yr and a half now, and no problems.

Ej1_coupe 05-08-2004 03:38 PM

Re: Need you HT gurus help, unsafe car needs fixing. (Tokyo_X-treme_Racer)

yea, i was just about to ask, what is wrong with skunk 2. Planing on purchasing their camber kit soon.

Nitto 05-09-2004 08:23 PM

Ok, now having someone else look at it. I guess it's the "CV Joint"?