Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need upgrade advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need upgrade advice

hey guys. i have a 97 civic lx here and was wondering about some upgrades. id really like to get some new wheels first because i hate mine. i was thinking of maybe ignition upgrades first. maybe something different? just need some suggestions/advice

some pics. not the coolest car in the world, but i like it

outside. took the sticker off the front and put a custom yellow honda logo on the back.

outside back. painted the muffler flat black

inside. i finished the paint around the shifter and took the steering wheel cover off.
i also moved the gauges from the glovebox to the cupholders . dont have a pic of those yet. i might put the glovebox mount back in if i get some more gauges

engine bay. (needs help. thinking maybe a mini me and a jrsc. )

Modified by LifeOnFire at 3:33 PM 9/7/2004
Old 09-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: need upgrade advice (LifeOnFire)

2 engine bay pics no outside, doesnt matter anyway.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LifeOnFire &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey guys. i have a 97 civic lx here and was wondering about some upgrades. id really like to get some new wheels first because i hate mine. i was thinking of maybe ignition upgrades first. maybe something different? just need some suggestions/advice

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well then there you go, get some wheels. Then a Manual tranny, then a new motor.

Or better yet, <FONT SIZE="5">DO WHATEVER THE **** YOU WANT!!!!!!</FONT>
Old 09-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You posted two pics of your engine instead of a pic of the car's exterior, but that's not really the point is it?

I think you should hang a turbo off the engine and do the suspension Tein style.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:32 PM

Default Re: (Archidictus)

you should get rid of all the ricer yellow **** and all of the blue crap inside and then do what ever the hell you want to. Its not what we want you to do with your car its what you want to do with your car. This site is about people helping you figure out how to do what you want to do not us telling you what you should do.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

5. "What should I do next to my car?" topics are a BIG no-no.

We are not a personal consulting service. We do not know your financial situation, your motor preference, or your aesthetic tastes. Do what YOU want and/or can afford to your car. Topics with questions regarding a specific product are fine, but broad questions asking for help on deciding what you should do to your hott ride next are not permitted any longer.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:38 PM

im not asking that. and i fixed the pics so stop bitching. im asking what would be some good first mods to do besides the intake. i know its whatever i want to do , but im trying to find out what some other people have done to try to get an plan for future upgrades. geez. you guys need some valum or something

oh, and luserkid:
Old 09-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LifeOnFire)

if u planning to do a swap, then just save up the money. if ur not swapping out the engine and planning to use ur car as daily driven car with little more hp, go with the basic bolts: intake, header, and 2 1/4 piping with exhaust.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take off all that ricer parts(stickers,hubs) and then slam that bitch!
Old 09-07-2004, 02:48 PM

Default Re: (r_Senik)

yeah i had all of that on a while ago, and it has since been removed, but those are the only pics i have of it right now. is there any certain brand of coilovers that are better in anyones opinion? from what i have read and all, tein seems to be the best. also, is there anyone who has taken some stock wheels and repainted them or anything? i would like to find some off of some special edition model of a honda if possible. to try to keep it clean and simple at least.

ive read all about the swaps for hondas, and the mini me seems to be the best one for me. i want it to be still a daily and reliable but with enough hp to keep up with the new cars coming out (Z, Evo, WRX, etc)
Old 09-07-2004, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go get some paint removal such as aircraft removal, paint stripper etc. then get some rust o-leum metallic paints from home depot, and clear coat would be best.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:13 PM

Location: I live in a town with Boston traffic, mass, united states
Default Re: (Ignitecivic)

Man thatd be one sick mini me if it could keep up with an evo, especially an automatic mini me, that would be freaking nuts! But....in all reality, even a turbo sohc would have a hard time touching an evo. My old type r swapped hatch with every bolt on i could put on that oil loveing pig would stay nose to nose with my friends vf22 swapped wrx running 16 pounds...18 pounds, bye bye hype R....

*Edit* A kid from my town, shouldnt say kid, hes 20 something, still lives at home though, late 20's and living at home, your still a kid in my eyes, anyways....Switched from the evo 8 tails to the evo 7 tails, and houser mitsubishi voided his electrical warranty, talk about a company not standing behind there cars. Mitsubishi = teh ghey
Old 09-08-2004, 07:19 AM

yeah thats my main goal for my car. im really intrigued by the whole mini me swap idea. its gonna take a lot of work to get any kind of power out the auto tranny, andhavent seen or heard of anyone much good out of it so far, so im determined to try at least. does anyone happen to know who makes the best torque converter? ive heard of level10. also, would it be best to upgrade the tranny for some more hp before i do anything else?

ignitecivic, are you talking about painting the wheels or the interior trim?

btw, thanks to the guys on here who actually offer meaningful advice/comments and have an open mind about my questions and actually try to help.

Modified by LifeOnFire at 8:30 AM 9/8/2004
Old 09-08-2004, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LifeOnFire &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not asking that. and i fixed the pics so stop bitching. im asking what would be some good first mods to do besides the intake. i know its whatever i want to do , but im trying to find out what some other people have done to try to get an plan for future upgrades. geez. you guys need some valum or something

oh, and luserkid:
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nobody stick up for this noob!!!! He can handle himself. Do what you like man. Your not gonna do what we say anyway. <U>Search</U> on 4 door civics and maybe sprout some ideas yourself.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LifeOnFire &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> its gonna take a lot of work to get any kind of power out the auto tranny, andhavent seen or heard of anyone much good out of it so far, so im determined to try at least. does anyone happen to know who makes the best torque converter? ive heard of level10. also, would it be best to upgrade the tranny for some more hp before i do anything else?

btw, thanks to the guys on here who actually offer meaningful advice/comments and have an open mind about my questions and actually try to help.
Modified by LifeOnFire at 8:30 AM 9/8/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

The goal isnt to get power OUT of the tranny its get the tranny to hold the power. In the end more money is gonna get sunk into making the tranny strong than making more power with the engine.

Old 09-08-2004, 07:35 AM

Default Re: (MassScene)

no, its not the fact that im not gonna do what anyone says, its the idea that as soon as someone needs advice on here, all these guys that get pissed off at these questions are just looking to flame someone who posts anything remotely similar to whatever they dont like. if you hate the type of question i asked, just ******* ignore it and stop bitching about it. (not to anyone in particular, just in general.)
it wouldnt kill anybody to just take some time and actually think about things before they get pissed.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:37 AM

Default Re: (MassScene)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MassScene &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The goal isnt to get power OUT of the tranny its get the tranny to hold the power. In the end more money is gonna get sunk into making the tranny strong than making more power with the engine.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, trading the car for the same model w/ manual tranny might be an option for me. im thinking this might be a good idea now. id have to start over, but im sure it would be a lot easier down the road
Old 09-08-2004, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe you should click on the stickied thread at thetop of the forum, that reads "rules and regulations" then click on the one that deal with "what should i do first" and defiently dont come on here break rules and then insult someonewho has been here for much longer than you have
Old 09-08-2004, 08:55 AM

Default Re: need upgrade advice (LifeOnFire)

<U>BLOCK OUT YOUR GOD DAMN LICENCE PLATE!!!!!</U>

For crying out loud here, Im getting sick and tired of seeing this ****. A i can easily look up your addresse on the Web. B I can easily get your Vin. C with your vin i can goto the dealer and get a copy of your key made. D I JUST STOLE YOUR CAR!

Looking up your addy on the web - Free
Getting your vin on the web - Free
Getting a copy of your key - $6.50
Seeing the look on your face when i steal your car - PRICELESS!
Old 09-08-2004, 09:46 AM

Default Re: need upgrade advice (nocternaldragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocternaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><U>BLOCK OUT YOUR GOD DAMN LICENCE PLATE!!!!!</U>

For crying out loud here, Im getting sick and tired of seeing this ****. A i can easily look up your addresse on the Web. B I can easily get your Vin. C with your vin i can goto the dealer and get a copy of your key made. D I JUST STOLE YOUR CAR!

Looking up your addy on the web - Free
Getting your vin on the web - Free
Getting a copy of your key - $6.50
Seeing the look on your face when i steal your car - PRICELESS!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Only if you can get to it before the 150 people that saw this thread do.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:11 PM

Location: I live in a town with Boston traffic, mass, united states
Default Re: need upgrade advice (crashN2u)

who in there right mind would steal a 4 door automatic civic with ugly rims? pffft please, tan interior to.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need upgrade advice (93TealSi)

how about you trade in that 4 door lug wagon in for a 2 door coupe or a hatch that's where i would start.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need upgrade advice (93TealSi)

burn it
Old 09-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (UtahRockabilly)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UtahRockabilly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you should get rid of all the ricer yellow **** and all of the blue crap inside and then do what ever the hell you want to. Its not what we want you to do with your car its what you want to do with your car. This site is about people helping you figure out how to do what you want to do not us telling you what you should do.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I found this hilarious, this board is so filled with hypocrites it isn't even funny any more.. OH! YEAH! We don't tell anyone what to do with their car, unless its not jdm, then, ****! whats wrong with you! its not jdm, your car is a piece of ****.. do you see the double standard here?
Old 09-08-2004, 06:18 PM
EK22snatch

Default Re: (aphex23)

dude, only upgrade ignition if youre putting down some serious whp, which are are difinately far away from. i have a h22 in my hatchback that is pretty my all go no show car, and i have OEM ignition. i got some differnet spark plugs but everything else is the same.

but hey, if youve got some money burning a hole in your pants, you should swap an h22 in that baby and that would actually be quite the sleeper, unlike half the ppl on this board who consider a car slammed hatch with rim and c/f **** a sleeper. seriously man, if youre interested lemme know cuz im doing a big write up on the whole swapping procedure including problems i encountered and more importantly, wiring.

oh i like the guages in the glovie though... neat place to put em
Old 09-08-2004, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (EK22snatch)

how much hp did u gain with all that yellow?

Quick Reply: need upgrade advice