Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need suggestions on what kind of civic to get

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need suggestions on what kind of civic to get

i have a spending limit of about $5500 on a car and i want a 2 door civic stick.

hatch or not isn't important to me. i want something quick and reliable at the same time.

the si is kind of within my price range, but i'm not sure if i should go for a more modded out regular ex or something?

i'm currently pondering this one: http://detroit.craigslist.org/cto/1216682044.html

setting up a test drive sometime soon. opinions? mileage is like 120k original and he says it has a vtec solenoid but doesn't say vtec on valve cover. idk if that's the same vtec as the si or the one that actually saves gas lol.

thanks,

Vel
Old 06-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need suggestions on what kind of civic to get

keep searching for that si or buy something bone stock so you can build it the way you want
Old 06-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Clash0901
i have a spending limit of about $5500 on a car and i want a 2 door civic stick.

hatch or not isn't important to me. i want something quick and reliable at the same time.

the si is kind of within my price range, but i'm not sure if i should go for a more modded out regular ex or something?

i'm currently pondering this one: http://detroit.craigslist.org/cto/1216682044.html

setting up a test drive sometime soon. opinions? mileage is like 120k original and he says it has a vtec solenoid but doesn't say vtec on valve cover. idk if that's the same vtec as the si or the one that actually saves gas lol.

thanks,

Vel
www.consumerguide.com

or www.wikipedia.org

You have a ****-ton of reading you need to do before you decide on a honda.

Civics built from 96-00

Civic HX's have the Vtec-E motor (Economy)

Civic CX/DX's have the D16Y7 (Non Vtec)

Civic EX's have the D16Y8 (Vtec for 'power)

Civic SI's were made from 99-00 and have the B16A (Vtec, Twincam, highest HP)
Old 06-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know i can read stuff, but personal opinions from people that know this stuff mean much more to me.

the d16y8 is a good motor for an SOHC?

the car the i listed has that, would it be semi quick?
Old 06-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

D16y8's aright. It's just a stock motor. I think you should keep looking for a SI.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so the si is really that much better?

this one good? http://detroit.craigslist.org/cto/1196657801.html

Last edited by Clash0901; 06-15-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it doesn't say VTEC, than it's definently not one. The fact that the seller would mention that obviously shows that he's either shady or doesn't know his hondas.

Also, it might be a good idea to stay away from those heavily modded cars because you never know what kind of driver the future seller is and chances are the deals come from the fact that its been heavily raced out.

It's really best to look for bone stock and do any future mods yourself

I am a huge si fan and would definently shell out for the vtec engine, but if you're not really that picky you might wonna look for a lower based motor as VTEC parts are most often more expensive
Old 06-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mods cost money lol.

i will prob look for a closer to stock Si then seeing as how even if i dont mod it, it will be quick.

thank you everyone for ur help, if anyone else has opinions feel free to post them.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eg grom
If it doesn't say VTEC, than it's definently not one. The fact that the seller would mention that obviously shows that he's either shady or doesn't know his hondas.

Also, it might be a good idea to stay away from those heavily modded cars because you never know what kind of driver the future seller is and chances are the deals come from the fact that its been heavily raced out.

It's really best to look for bone stock and do any future mods yourself

I am a huge si fan and would definently shell out for the vtec engine, but if you're not really that picky you might wonna look for a lower based motor as VTEC parts are most often more expensive
I christ to swear I hate people as ignorant as you preaching to others.

96-00 D16Y7 and Y8's do NOT have VTEC stamped on the valve cover, they ALL just say HONDA. the Y8's have a Vtec solenoid on the head, not hard to spot.

Intake, exhaust, and suspension is hardly 'heavily modified', Just gives you a better reason to talk him down on the price.

'look for a lower based motor as vtec parts are most often more expensive' - I mean ****ing seriously??? Vtec parts are more expensive? What ****ing truck did you fall off of? What parts cost more than a few $ more than their Vtec counterpart? I would LOVE to know?

Buy what you want, Research before you buy, Have a mechanic inspect the car prior to purchase since you are not well educated in the nature of these cars, and enjoy!

and for reference, 99-00 SI's are probably the MOST abused civics on the roads today. I have a buddy who works at Carmax that has had the SAME CAR blow its engine 3 times because of a retarded driver. They are also HUGE pigs with no torque.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dasfinc

96-00 D16Y7 and Y8's do NOT have VTEC stamped on the valve cover, they ALL just say HONDA. the Y8's have a Vtec solenoid on the head, not hard to spot.

Intake, exhaust, and suspension is hardly 'heavily modified', Just gives you a better reason to talk him down on the price.

'look for a lower based motor as vtec parts are most often more expensive' - I mean ****ing seriously??? Vtec parts are more expensive? What ****ing truck did you fall off of? What parts cost more than a few $ more than their Vtec counterpart? I would LOVE to know?

Buy what you want, Research before you buy, Have a mechanic inspect the car prior to purchase since you are not well educated in the nature of these cars, and enjoy!

and for reference, 99-00 SI's are probably the MOST abused civics on the roads today. I have a buddy who works at Carmax that has had the SAME CAR blow its engine 3 times because of a retarded driver. They are also HUGE pigs with no torque.
sounds like u know ur stuff.

idk, i'm gonna have to look around and probably ask my friends cause some of them have had civics before. makes sense that the si's would be the most beat on tho. good point.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Aside from the stupid a%$ comments you guys have on noobies tryin to lend a hand, I would really like to know where you guys learn all this info for the future.

Your help would be greatly appreciated..
Old 06-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Aside from the stupid a%$ comments you guys have on noobies tryin to lend a hand, I would really like to know where you guys learn all this info for the future.

Your help would be greatly appreciated..
I learn it through experience, my 'beef' with noobs like you is when you post information you are not sure about as 'fact' by saying "If it doesn't say Vtec on the motor, it isn't"

If you are not 100% certain of that, you should not post it and wait for someone else to chime in to learn. The biggest issue I have with Honda-Tech is all the false information that gets posted 'out of good intention' like you just did. I have no beef with you again, I'm just saying please only post stuff you know for fact, not what 'makes sense' or 'what you think you know'
Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like u know ur stuff.

idk, i'm gonna have to look around and probably ask my friends cause some of them have had civics before. makes sense that the si's would be the most beat on tho. good point.
The SI's are also HEAVY, Power everything, sunroof, PS/AC/Etc, Nearly 500lbs heavier than my 95 DX coupe and it has 15-20ft/lb of torque less than the motor IN my car at the moment .

My next 'project/dd' WILL be a 99-00 EX. I like the power features, they can be had for sub 3K in good shape, and the 99-00 have a different front end, and a bunch of small interior nick-nacks that are upgraded over the 96-98's. Yes they are not real 'screamers' but its a solid platform to start with, and you have a higher chance of finding a non molested 99-00 EX coupe owned by someone a bit on the older side who bought it because it has a sunroof/power windows/etc/etc, and took good care of it.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly i knew the vtecs didnt all say vtec on the motor.

i was just getting confirmation because thats how i am, i need someone to tell me its true before i believe it on wiki.

no harm done really, i got what i needed so thanks again to all :D
Old 06-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly i knew the vtecs didnt all say vtec on the motor.

i was just getting confirmation because thats how i am, i need someone to tell me its true before i believe it on wiki.

no harm done really, i got what i needed so thanks again to all :D

I'm glad you knew, but someone else posted it as a 'fact' which bugs the CRAP out of me, so sorry if you took any of what I said as 'aimed' at you.

One more side-note, the 99-00 SI civics are 'per unit built' one of the most stolen cars in the United states. *As in say for example, 1-1000 civic DX's are stolen a year, 1-100 SI's are stolen a year*
Old 06-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

so the si is really that much better?
Yes.....

- bigger brakes up front
- bigger sway bar, and has both a front and rear
- rear disk
- nice oem mags
- nice oem cluster
- b series powered
- leather wrapped steering wheel and shift ****
- better grill
- front chin spoiler
- painted moldings

That's a lot of upgrades.

As for having an abused engine, meh, no biggie. Engines are cheap these days, and if the B16 ever caused any problems, just throw a larger one on to replace it. I say stick it out for the good model.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

- bigger brakes up front - Needed to stop the heavier car
- bigger sway bar, and has both a front and rear - more weight
- rear disk
- nice oem mags
- nice oem cluster
- b series powered
- leather wrapped steering wheel and shift ****
- better grill
- front chin spoiler - more weight
- painted moldings - more weight

;-) *I'm just screwing around, they are very 'nice' cars, but they are seriously nearly 'underpowered' for being what they are, needz moar torque!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am a very new to honda tech and can definently see your beef with noobs dasfinc. Try and go easy on me as much as I am trying to learn more and more about honda history I am glad to see that this site has got some die hards like yourself to put in there two cents and correct things.

I'll definently try and watch my words and if you have any sites at all where I can catch up on my knowledge please reply..
Old 06-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am a very new to honda tech and can definently see your beef with noobs dasfinc. Try and go easy on me as much as I am trying to learn more and more about honda history I am glad to see that this site has got some die hards like yourself to put in there two cents and correct things.

I'll definently try and watch my words and if you have any sites at all where I can catch up on my knowledge please reply..
Thank you for being 'understanding' about it, I don't mean to be a 'jackass', I have personally LOST quite a bit of money over the years by following false information published on websites LIKE THIS ONE , which makes me more prone to yelling and screaming at people who post incorrect facts.

*a classic example is that many people believe "All Vtec solenoids are the same" well, I learned the hard way that the solenoid I got off of a D16Z6 did not work on a D16Y8 head I had... a very shitty lesson to learn when I needed to get to work the next day...*
Old 06-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some D16Y8's say VTEC on the valve cover, it is rare though.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

isn't that just a swapped head tho? so the valve covers come with vtec on it possibly?

and im thinking about the d16y8 civic
Old 06-16-2009, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and im thinking about the d16y8 civic
If thats what you want to do..do it. About everyone on here has told you to hold out for the better model..you keep asking opinions and they give it to you.

Seems your going to do what you want anyways..I think there is a "lack of Patience" on your part.

If you get the EX coupe with the D16Y8..and want it faster..which most likely you will..save some more money and Boost it.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:35 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

I wouldn't get an si, but that's just me. As other people have said, they're *VERY* likely to be stolen, no matter what precautions you take, and they're very frequently raped on and not maintained.

They're also relatively slow, and don't have a whole lot that makes them better than an EX that you can't put on an EX easily. Want rear disc on an EX? $100 at the junkyard. Want a rear swaybar? $350 for an ASR combo, which is way better than what's on the Si. Want an Si cluster? $200 on hondamarketplace. Throw a B18C in it and eat Sis for lunch all day.

If I had it all to do over again, I think I'd try to find the cheapest EG hatch I could with AC, and swap it.

The EX with the d16y8 is not a bad car at all though, and has potential if boosted.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should never really say, "ALL." Since the D16Y8's from the Acura EL do actually have the VTEC logo on the valve cover.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your leaning towards the D16Y8 but want more power, just boost it, do it right, and enjoy :D

Quick Reply: need suggestions on what kind of civic to get