Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need some wiring help.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 03:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some wiring help.....

Hey Guys,

Just working on '91 Civic that won't start. Getting fuel, and a very, very weak spark. Cap/rotor/wires/plugs, all new. I put in a new ignitor, and still no dice. Did a resistance check on the primary and secondaries of they coil, and they are on spec. What I've found, is that of the four wires going to the ignitor, two have 12 vdc, and while the other two are supposed to go to ground, they do not. One is supposed to ground through the ECU, while the other is supposed to ground through either the tach, or the auto tranny, both of which my car doesn't have.
If any of you have an FSM for this year car, and can tell me where these wires are grounded, or getting their ground, so I can check it out, I'd appreciate it. IF not, I'd love it if you guys could point me to a Honda tech forum, or message board, that deals somewhat with repairs, instead of exclusively with modifications.
Thanks a bunch.

Rembrant
Old 08-08-2003, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some wiring help..... (Rembrant)

We need more info:
1. Stock engine
2. If not what mods?
3. When did this problem start

Old 08-08-2003, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Need some wiring help..... (1990hondaHF)

Thanks man, Excuse my manners.

Engine is bone stock and I was on a trip for about 10 days or so, and when I returned, the car just wouldn't start.

Every tune-up related item was replaced in March, everything. Timing belt, water pump, PCV valve, wires, cap/rotor, plugs, air and fuel filters, etc.
Last night, upon another suggestion, I even put another new cap/rotor on it, but still no go. The new ignitor didn't help either, but I'm told that its acting like the ignitor is faulty......I bought the ignitor on the dealer's suggestion.
The coil seems OK, primary resistance is 0.4 ohms, and secondary is 12,000 ohms. The Haynes book specs say between 0.3-o.5 for primary, and 9,000-14,000 for secondary, so I assume its OK.
There is 12vdc to the ignitor on two wires, white with a blue tracer, and black with a yellow tracer. there is a white wire, and a blue wire, that are supposed to go to ground, but I can't get continuity to ground on them anywhere.
I'm just lost, and hate to give up on this thing.

I was just getting ready to call the dealer, and see how fast they can get me an FSM for this thing, then maybe I'll have a little more info to go by. these haynes books are good for a guy wanting to change his brake pads, but thats it.

thanks for any help. I appreciate the reply.

Rembrant