Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need some swap advice....

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Need some swap advice....

okay, i have a 1992 civic cx hatch and i FINALLY have a bit of money to try my hand in the swap game. I have been shopping online engine importers as well as craigslist and ebay for an engine and have come up with very expensive results, I have about 1300-1500 to spend for a motor, harness, ecu, trans, axles, and shift linkage. I just read the B18b1 LS into civic cx write up and saw how cheap he did it and that it was basically a drop in for my car. All I am finding as far as LS parts are heads, no complete motors. Can I get the LS head and bolt it to any B series block? Where can I find deals on the required parts for this swap? I have spent 8 months shopping(I am in Arlington, TX 76017) and im just not catching any breaks, any advice on what engine I should run, where I need to be shopping is appreciated, im not trying to make a monster car, just something fun to run, the motor currently in the car is on its last leg and I was hoping to do this within the next two weeks, so anyone have ideas start throwin em at me, I'm ready!!!!
Old 02-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some swap advice....

Thats a tight budget for a swap. You can get a nice JDM SOHC d15 vtec that makes 130hp. Its a big improvement over the 70hp in the CX now.. That way when you do the swap you can do it right and replace clutch, TB, WP, maintenance stuff. If you slap together a swap with discarded parts you can pick up you are at the mercy of the person who may just be trying to unload some stuff he's already broke.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd love that, again, not trying to make massive power, I need a new motor and would like more power, I did do a bit of research on the D series vtec and again the problem is finding something I can trust to run for the money I can spend. Oh and the 1300 is for parts not maintaince items also have money set aside for that stuff.( it SUCKS being on a budget)

Check out this page please, is this a decent deal on a long block? Would the other random pieces cost me an arm and a leg?
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30026

Last edited by MatthewJ; 02-16-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmotorsonline has one for 950 with the tranny and ecu.

youd still need the axles and a few other things though.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the cheapest place you can find a motor is at your local junk yard (pick-n-pull).
you just have to be lucky and find one there before anyone else does. ive come across LS motors and civic motors sometimes, but i didnt need one. id say, try your luck there.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MatthewJ
I'd love that, again, not trying to make massive power, I need a new motor and would like more power, I did do a bit of research on the D series vtec and again the problem is finding something I can trust to run for the money I can spend. Oh and the 1300 is for parts not maintaince items also have money set aside for that stuff.( it SUCKS being on a budget)
Dude, you're in good shape if you don't have your heart set on a dual cam.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Reject Papi

http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000...age&item=30002

there, save an extra couple hundred, (if you can) and get a b16 swap.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jhammond_82
http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000...age&item=30002

there, save an extra couple hundred, (if you can) and get a b16 swap.
Good advice! Have him buy an OBD0 motor for his OBD1 car.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Reject Papi

yeah, cause ya can't convert it i know.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Reject Papi

it was able to be done back in 2008, why not now? same guidelines apply, https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/obd0-b16-engine-into-obd1-car-how-please-2272238/ and its alot cheaper than a gsr swap, or a newer si swap. and more powerful than another d swap.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I put an OBD2 B16B in my 94 Si. OBD1 distributor and sensors. Its a stretch on his budget to go dual cam. I owned my 94 since new. The SOHC vtec that came in the USDM Si is comparable to the d15b8? the JDM equivalent to the d16z6. Its a great little powerplant for that chassis. Doesn't have power on demand like the b16a but sporty for sure.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

$1300 should do it for a jdm b16a
Old 02-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ lol true
i got my first swap for 800 buks a b16 and sold a ls swap for 800 last year jst keep lookin and ul find one if u wanna get a sohc vtec jst buy the long block buy a vtec harness and ecu y waste money on a full sohc swap wen its the same **** u have now
Old 02-17-2010, 03:41 AM
Reject Papi

why is this turning into a racial issue? the op was asking about a swap. then you come in here forcefedferio and start bashing peoples ethnicity. that ain't cool man.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by forcefedferio
I have no idea what you are even saying, i can't understand 90% of people from california because i don't speak spanish.

You get what you pay for, i'd rather buy a low mileage guaranteed swap from hmotorsonline.com and be confident then buy a sub $1000 "low mileage" swap from Juan Valdez and cross my fingers when I turn the key. If that's how you roll that's fine, my car doesn't belong in cali anyway, i don't wax it 4 times a day and have JAYdeeEMMMMM tow hooks on it.
I completely agree with you, I spoke with hmotorsport about the d15b8(d16z6)long block and they quoted me $750 exactly shipped to my door, or $924 for the b18b LS shipped to my door, now i am waiting to see if my buddy has an b series tranny he can let me make payments on, if he does I will prob. get the b series and just pay out to him for random parts I need( he has a garage full of random b series stuff), I am still shopping and reading what everyone has to say, and again thanks for all the input, hopefull come friday I will have made a decision. The only problem I am dealing with really is finding what I want at a reasonable price that I can trust to run, like I said im not making a monster, I can make usable power with a D series if need be, we will see! Keep throwing input at me I am still reading all of your replys! Thanks!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cant we all just get along?!! OP also try Craigslist you can find really good deals there as well!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jhammond_82
why is this turning into a racial issue? the op was asking about a swap. then you come in here forcefedferio and start bashing peoples ethnicity. that ain't cool man.
It isn't and it never was, it's just anytime someone THINKS it's a "racial" issue it becomes a huge ****in ordeal and people start crying about it. Don't pin **** on me like you have a clue what's going on here.

Maybe to make a point from now on i should start calling people crackers, honky, and white devil, then nobody will whine about it because racial comments towards whites is OK. notice how you can go on and on make all the white racial comments you can handle and none of them are censored on here, TV or anywhere else. Yet you make what someone thinks is a slightly racially demeaning comment towards another ethnicity and WHAMMO it's a huge deal and you're a bad guy. I don't get it, whatever happened to that dream, you know, where we're all equal? Maybe it only applys to SOME things.

I completely agree with you, I spoke with hmotorsport about the d15b8(d16z6)long block and they quoted me $750 exactly shipped to my door, or $924 for the b18b LS shipped to my door, now i am waiting to see if my buddy has an b series tranny he can let me make payments on, if he does I will prob. get the b series and just pay out to him for random parts I need( he has a garage full of random b series stuff), I am still shopping and reading what everyone has to say, and again thanks for all the input, hopefull come friday I will have made a decision. The only problem I am dealing with really is finding what I want at a reasonable price that I can trust to run, like I said im not making a monster, I can make usable power with a D series if need be, we will see! Keep throwing input at me I am still reading all of your replys! Thanks!
Like i said until my post was deleted because some illiterate **** decided to start an argument because he can go buy down and dirty shady swaps for dirt cheap was that If you have $1300 and the swap is going to cost you $1300, or even $1200, save more money. You should do Plugs/Wires/Cap/Rotor i also recommend a fuel filter if you haven't done one recently, and also do a Timing Belt/Waterpump. These are all things that will cost a few hundred more dollars but will pay off BIG TIME by doing it right the first time. Also it may be a good idea to replace the clutch and check the flywheel/pilot bearing as well. It's a good upgrade right out of the box and it sure would suck to put your swap in and find out the used clutch is glazed and slips.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im still with you ForceFed(on all accounts, people are whiny babys), the 1300 was what I had to find the main components(engine, axles, ecu....) I also made sure to set aside $400 for maintance items(water pump, clutch, belts, plugs...) I am really starting to think D series is the way to go for now. I need the new setup, as well as want it :-), and I HOPE with some guidance from friends and forums I could make at least 160-180hp and then just save money like theres no tomorrow and in another year do a ground up B series build(was reading about B20 as well today). Besides the usual I/H/E, aftermarket camshafts, and maybe a grounding kit, what else would you recommend for the D15B(thats the JDM vtec SOHC)?

Oh and I have a brand new set of Denso Irridium Plugs and a brand new fuel filter set aside already!!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im still with you ForceFed(on all accounts, people are whiny babys), the 1300 was what I had to find the main components(engine, axles, ecu....) I also made sure to set aside $400 for maintance items(water pump, clutch, belts, plugs...) I am really starting to think D series is the way to go for now. I need the new setup, as well as want it :-), and I HOPE with some guidance from friends and forums I could make at least 160-180hp and then just save money like theres no tomorrow and in another year do a ground up B series build(was reading about B20 as well today). Besides the usual I/H/E, aftermarket camshafts, and maybe a grounding kit, what else would you recommend for the D15B(thats the JDM vtec SOHC)?

Oh and I have a brand new set of Denso Irridium Plugs and a brand new fuel filter set aside already!!
Pretty much the only thing i would recommend for a single cam setup is a decent turbo setup. You can do a pieced together turbo kit for pretty cheap and will be more than adequate power wise for you until, and if you still decide to go b-series. You can make right around 200-215whp safely on a stock d-series and not even sweat it.

My biggest advice to you after all the builds i have done is save, save, save, then buy. I pieced alot of stuff together only to change my mind later and lose alot of time and money. I had alot of fun and learned alot of stuff while doing it but boy would i rather have my R completely done and that gt35r boosted s2000 making 450whp that i dream about.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:47 PM

plane ur head ajustable cam gear and a good cam i can find a engine for like 500 with eveything u need my 88 dohc zc puts shaved head 0.30 skunk 2 intake stage 2 cams out 260 whp without even working lol... i bought the engine from a scrap yard with the whole car everything u need for 1000 dollars with big hp
Old 02-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

****, okay, spoke with hmotoronline again and clarified that I DO NOT get the harness with my engine, so, right now I have the D15b7 usdm non vtec in my car, can I use that harness and if so where is there a FAQ on how to wire up the vtec? I would much rather have a new harness specifically for my new engine so ne1 know where I can buy one?
Old 02-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Honda Race #10
plane ur head ajustable cam gear and a good cam i can find a engine for like 500 with eveything u need my 88 dohc zc puts shaved head 0.30 skunk 2 intake stage 2 cams out 260 whp without even working lol... i bought the engine from a scrap yard with the whole car everything u need for 1000 dollars with big hp
not it doesn't, if you dyno it i bet you would be SEVERELY dissapointed, like 100whp less (if not more) dissapointed.

Matthew, it's no big deal for wiring.

I took these pictures from http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/ which is an extremely helpful site with great diagrams. Don't fear wiring, in your case being your car is a 92 it is prewired for VTEC from the factory on the chassis harness side. Just run your 2 wires for VTEC from the Switch and the Solenoid to the shock tower plug, The knock sensor wire to the ECU where it shows the appropriate location, and rewire your o2 sensor to accept a 4 wire.

Donezo.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is why I always come to honda-tech, knowledge, advice, and almost everyone is very willing to help without bitching or talking down to someone. Thank you all and keep the ideas coming one day left till order day!! gonna go with the D15b8(D16z6), any build ideas are welcome and appreciated!!
Old 02-18-2010, 05:52 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

they have a h22 swap at www.jdmtigerjapanese.com for 1200 bux full swap little pain in the *** to put in but well worth it...
Old 02-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I swapped a JDM D15B VTEC into my hatch for slightly over $1000. Would have been less but the distributor that came with my new motor was bad. I got the motor at TigerJapanese for $520. I live local to them so I picked it up. No shipping cost and I got to hand choose what I wanted. Be advised though, a lot of their motors have broken sensors and/or pulleys. So although they are cheaper, you may have to spend a bit of money after to fix it up.

Quick Reply: Need some swap advice....