Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need some input. 00 Civic Si w/ GSR swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some input. 00 Civic Si w/ GSR swap

Ok, just a few things that I am scratching my head at and maybe someone can help me. I have searched the forum but didn't really find what I was looking for.

1. I have a 2000 Civic Si and I just put a JDM GSR (B18c) engine into it. The 1st problem I have is that my VTEC isn't working and my CEL light is on. I have the JDM GSR ECU that came with the motor and I am using my Si wiring harness. I bought the adapter to convert from OBDIIb to OBDIIa. My question is why wouldnt my VTEC be working? I took the spool valve ***. off and everything was clean and everything is plugged up.

2. My CEL lights and headlights keep dimming on and off. It's really annoying. I don' think it's the alternator because I have been driving the car for about 3 days for about 45 minutes straight and the car feels fine. So I am thinking a ground? But the only ground that I know of is from the valve cover to the frame. Or if I am missing one that I should have added during the swap.

3. Where do I put the purge hose too?? I have a purge hose that is pretty big in size but the nipple on the throttle body is way to small for a hose that big. So idk if i just let it hang there or what. I'm sure im not suppose to plug it..lol

But yea, anything on any of these problems would be great thanks.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some input. 00 Civic Si w/ GSR swap

Originally Posted by SurfLifeAway
Ok, just a few things that I am scratching my head at and maybe someone can help me. I have searched the forum but didn't really find what I was looking for.

1. I have a 2000 Civic Si and I just put a JDM GSR (B18c) engine into it. The 1st problem I have is that my VTEC isn't working and my CEL light is on. I have the JDM GSR ECU that came with the motor and I am using my Si wiring harness. I bought the adapter to convert from OBDIIb to OBDIIa. My question is why wouldnt my VTEC be working? I took the spool valve ***. off and everything was clean and everything is plugged up.
You need to jump the green connector where the ECU is to get the CEL to flash and pull the code. From there, we can help you troubleshoot the issue

Originally Posted by SurfLifeAway
3. Where do I put the purge hose too?? I have a purge hose that is pretty big in size but the nipple on the throttle body is way to small for a hose that big. So idk if i just let it hang there or what. I'm sure im not suppose to plug it..lol
JDM GSR Intake manifolds have no provision for the EVAP purge solenoid. You can disconnect it and leave it off. If you have to have it on for emissions purposes, well then you need to get a USDM GSR Intake manifold in order to properly hook up the EVAP purge solenoid. You'd also need to run a USDM GSR ECU as well. But again, if you don't have emissions where you leave, you can unplug it and pull it off. It won't generate any CELs.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:33 PM

alright cool, yea i'll go jump it and see what it reads. Also, I heard that if the car is throwing more then 3 codes VTEC wouldn't work anyway?
Old 01-26-2009, 03:02 PM

Ok I jumped the connector and its

2 Flashes SLOW
1 Flash FAST
6 Flashes FAST

In that order.

Last edited by SurfLifeAway; 01-26-2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats codes 21 and 6....code 6 is the coolant temp. sensor...this will make vtec not work because it "thinks" that car is always cold...and 21 is the vtec solinoid itself...fix the other code and reset the ecu, i bet you dont get the 21 anymore.

and yes there is a MAJOR ground from the trans to the frame rail. and a sensor ground point on the thermostat housing. both of which are VERY important. and you will need to run wires for you intake air bybass valves becuase the civic didnt have them. (they give you more torque after 6k)

if you need to get the evap thing for emissions you will need to do more than just switch manifolds because in order to pass you will need to be running a USDM ecu, manifold, a USDM vtec solinoid (jdm ones dont use a pressure switch) and an obd2 oil pump to add the crank fluctuation sensor (jdm ones didnt have one), and a second o2 sensor..all of these are needed in order to use a USDM ecu without a check engine light. if you have a check engine light you wont pass.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and its not slow and fast....its short and long like morse code.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:43 PM

Oh alright thanks.. i'll take a look tomorrow and see what I can do.

So where is the coolant temp sensor located? Is that right by the thermostat where it plugs into? If so, do you think I can take the one off my B16a2 and transfer it over?
Old 01-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no, its in the side of the head near where the upper rad hose goes. and yes, it should be the same sensor, if thats the prob. it could be the wiring or a ground too.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:08 PM

Alright cool, i'll do that tomorrow and then let ya know what happend.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Trial User

Did u ever figure it out I'm have the same issue