Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need some HELP w/ EG6 JDM CLuster

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon2 Need some HELP w/ EG6 JDM CLuster

So, I just got my JDM eg6 gauge cluster today. I plugged in both gray plugs and everything works, but the Temp gauge acts weird. The temp is at the top when the car is off. when I turn it on it goes all the way to the bottom and does not come back up at all. looks like car is cold the whole time.

So Question is, do i need to plus the GREEN plug in as well? If so, does it go on the top or bottom in the of the gauge cluster? Also, is there anything I can do to fix the temp gauge?

2nd Question, some of the lights bulbs are dead in the cluster, anyone know what the Bulb # is for the jdm cluster?

ANY help would be GREAT!!
Old 06-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some HELP w/ EG6 JDM CLuster

Any ideas?
Old 06-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

The temp gauge problem is likely caused by a poor ground or lack thereof on the VERY DELICATE temp gauge unit in the cluster. It might be an easy fix, it might not. If you open up the cluster, have a look at the temp/fuel gauge units. Though, be very VERY careful when screwing or unscrewing. Do not overtighten - I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.

Here's what happened to me:

I was messing with the innards of my cluster and when I put it back together and turned on the car, the temp gauge would float to the top.

The screws for the temp gauge screw into the back of the cluster into a metal holder held in place by a plastic casing. With age, the plastic casing will crack, allowing the metal holder to spin freely if you tighten too far. The metal holders are connected to the VERY TINY HAIR-THIN wires which controls the temp gauge. Tear these, and you have a very difficult problem to fix. I managed to piece mine together with a steady hand, a bit of sheet metal, and some precision soldering.

If you can't find anything diagnosably wrong with the temp gauge on your new cluster, consider swapping units with the one you replaced.

Next problem: The green plug is for your Cruise Control (I'm assuming your vehicle has this). The JDM cluster has no Cruise Control light, but it may be possible to retrofit the one from your unit into the JDM one, but it won't have a spot for the light visible from the front. (Yes, the CC module unit on your cluster can be removed/swapped.) Wait -- just had a thought ... are you talking about the green plugs on the module behind the tachometer? If so, those green plugs are for your door open indicators and TCS light (if your JDM cluster has these)

Next problem: The bulbs are the same p/n as USDM bulbs, save for the Low Fuel light bulb - we don't have that option on North American 5th Gen Civics. A 6th Gen bulb can be used instead, if you are going to retrofit a Low Fuel indicator.

Last edited by deschlong; 06-13-2009 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet, thanks for the tips
Old 06-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone know the bulb #?