Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need some help with my shocks!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some help with my shocks!

I posted this in the Suspension forum but I didn't get any response so I hope someone can help me out!

Hey guys, I have been noticing that my car doesn't handle as well anymore. It still handles better then stock but not as good as before. I don't know why but I think my shock are blown.
I have Neuspeed Race springs with Tokico blues for about 2 and half years. The car doesn't fell as nimble as it use too. I plan on changing them next year for either KYB adjustable or Koni Yellows.

My question is how do you know a shock is blown and what are some symptoms?

Thanks alot

Dave

Old 10-12-2006, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need some help with my shocks! (DaveSi677)

Theyre not shocks theyre struts. One of the symptoms is the car bounces after a bump too much. Youll feel it trust me.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need some help with my shocks! (noz79)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by noz79 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Theyre not shocks theyre struts. One of the symptoms is the car bounces after a bump too much. Youll feel it trust me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Or you see a leak. Best way to tell is to take them off and try them out.

But I would go with the Koni's if I were you.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:59 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by noz79 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Theyre not shocks theyre struts. One of the symptoms is the car bounces after a bump too much. Youll feel it trust me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, they ARE shocks. Just because the shock has a cup or spring perch on it doesn't mean it's no longer a shock. You knew damn well what he meant. Stop being a douchebag.

To the OP: you have 2.25 inch lowering springs on what amounts to a stock-replacement super-cheapass Tokico shock. I'm surprised they lasted two years. You need something more appropriate for the height and spring rate of your coils: Koni Yellows come to mind. They're expensive - especially compared to Tokico Blues - but worth every penny.

While you're under there, check your balljoints and bushings too. They can make the car sloppy as **** over the years
Old 10-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by noz79 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One of the symptoms is the car bounces after a bump too much. Youll feel it trust me.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah, you'll notice this since you are basically riding on your springs alone if the struts are that bad, at least thats how mine was.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:08 AM
a/k/a Jomo

I don't think there is one fact in this entire statement. They ARE shocks on his car, NOT struts. Also I could put brand new shocks and brand new el cheap-o coil overs on a brand new car and it will bounce more then Vita's ***.

OP, check for signs of leaking. They are probably not "blown" meaning will not control the spring, but they are probably quite worn. The valving on Blues are not meant to handle the limited travel or increased rate of those springs. You can always take one off and try and compare it to a new one at a local shop, or if you really want to know, send it out to be dyno'd, unless you know someone local to do it.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some help with my shocks! (Archidictus)

Thank guys for the help... Think Archidictus, you hit the point. I believe they are just worn out. I will probably look into getting some Koni Yellow for next spring as the car is going to be store for the winter.

Btw the bushing where changed when I changed the springs and shock I got some polyurathane ones. The balljoint got them changed this year!

Thanks alot guys for the fast response on this one!

Dave

They are shock and you understood what I was saying.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need some help with my shocks! (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actually, they ARE shocks. Just because the shock has a cup or spring perch on it doesn't mean it's no longer a shock. You knew damn well what he meant. Stop being a douchebag.

To the OP: you have 2.25 inch lowering springs on what amounts to a stock-replacement super-cheapass Tokico shock. I'm surprised they lasted two years. You need something more appropriate for the height and spring rate of your coils: Koni Yellows come to mind. They're expensive - especially compared to Tokico Blues - but worth every penny.

While you're under there, check your balljoints and bushings too. They can make the car sloppy as **** over the years </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh the irony!
Old 10-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some help with my shocks! (EL Vap133)

I don't understand?