Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need some help with my eg :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with my eg :(

I'm not all that familiar with major fixes when it comes to my 92 eg. I took my car to midas for a diagnostic and got the paper work back today. Of course, there's no way in hell I'm gonna have them do the work at all since their prices are ridiculous. Anywho, the problems are as follows:

1. Need new rotors and pads for the rear tires (can do myself)
2. Exhaust piping is split and holes in the muffler (can do myself)
3. Needs new cv shafts (is this the same as drive axle or half shaft??) for FL and FR (No idea how easy/hard this is)
4. Wheel bearing is loose (technicians comments said "Transmission bearing (im assuming this is the wheel bearing?) is about to fall out, car should not be driven" (No idea how easy/hard this is)

What'd I'd be wanting to know is what parts will I need, an estimated cost of these parts, and what tools I'll need to do so. I wanna try and keep this as inexpensive as possible since I don't have 1,500 bucks like midas wanted to do the repairs.

If anyone could help me out that'd be great, since I do love my eg to death. Thanks in advanced
Old 07-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Need some help with my eg :( (eg6momo)

Rotors and pads are cheap.

I would inspect the axles for slop, if they have play when you turn the shaft itself, a replacement should be considered. If the boots are torn, the joints should be cleaned to determine if they are salvagable.

Boots are like 40 bucks for all of them at most, with new clamps and grease.

The shafts can be pricey, from autozone they are like 150 plus the core, and autozone axles are not exactly a good replacement.

A wheel bearing runs about 35 bucks a tire, does your car growl and grind at the wheels at low speeds?

Make sure your 32mm axle nut is on your axles and they are tight, a loose one will destroy a wheel bearing in no time.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

by cv shaft im asuming its the axles if your car's a single cam, and single cams dont have halfshafts. hahaha and they mean a throwout bearing because the wheel bearing part of your suspension. not your tranny. before you decide to change these parts i recommend you go out and buy yourself a haynes manual and start reading.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:27 PM

these fixes are by no means hard... the whole reason i'm selling my audi and buying an EK is for the simple fact that i can buy parts out of a gumball machine for the hatch.

i think you just need to get a feel for your car. do your own work, get a feel for for it. half-shafts are easy when it comes down to it. the right parts, tools and good lighting (i cant stress the good lighting part enough, it's so important.) can make all the difference in the world. take your time, feel things out.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Need some help with my eg :( (dannis.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dannis. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">by cv shaft im asuming its the axles if your car's a single cam, and single cams dont have halfshafts. </TD></TR></TABLE>

They are both the same thing, and the bolted shaft on the block is called an intermediate shaft for future reference....

Instead of reading, you could have taken it to a place that actually knows what they are talking about.

Release bearings almost never go bad, and if they did, it would be audible only when the clutch is pressed in, if it made noise with the clutch out it is a bearing internal to the transmission.

Only chimps that need to make a dime are going to do stuff like that to you, verify your concerns here so you can save yourself a bunch of money.