Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need some help here please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help here please.

Ok, a while back I posted up with some issues of my car just cutting out on me on the highway...after going straight to the ignition coil and replacing the module as well and having the fuel pump cleaned the car ran great...it's been about a month and a half since then and the problem has come back...but this time brought other major problems with it.

I was on my way out on a roadtrip Monday and cruising at 120km/h on the highway...car began to buck on me and lose power immediately...same as last time except this time it started spewing blue smoke out the exhaust (just changed the oil on the car that morning with a fresh change of 10w-30). It did that twice more on me except the 3rd time the car did a shearing/scraping noise decelerating down past the 3000rpm mark when I was exiting the offramp at 30 and it was horribly rough still puffing some blue smoke..

After barely getting it up to speed throughout the town I realized that the car wouldn't rev over 3500rpm...when it crossed the 2200rpm mark there was a screeching/shearing noise like scraping metal and it did it again at 3000rpm as well...if the car climbed to 3500 it would just buck really hard like it was starved for fuel...the one time that it did hit 3500rpm I was parked up against the garage door and it literally spewed wet black soot out the exhaust onto the garage door (it was grainy but also had an oily texture to it).

This has totally got me blown away as I don't even know where to actually kick things off to inspect...there is also excessive rad fluid being gushed out...I replaced the rad cap and somehow there is still a shitload of rad fluid being gushed out all over my rad fan in the engine bay...

motor is about 4 years old this summer, has roughly 120,000km's on the engine itself and has received routine maintenace constantly. Anyone got any freakin clues as to what on earth is going on inside this little JDM bastard? Preciate any help or opinions!
Old 03-19-2004, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Need some help here please. (E.G.6)

bump for some help....
Old 03-19-2004, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Need some help here please. (E.G.6)

sounded like your car got over heat and siezed up.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Need some help here please. (2lua)

thought that might have been the issue at first...but I was checkin the temp gauge and it wasn't even budging...just sat at normal temp...

drove it tonight and at 3500rpm it just starts choking and bucking...it's brutal...like the car is trying to buck me right outta the drivers seat...air/fuel gauge starts getting less and less stoich til it eventually stumbles into 4000rpm and then it clears til 4500rpm when it just refuses to calm itself...

i was able to get it to fully open up today and I recorded some video from the drivers seat of the car acting up...I'll post it...usually at around the 5500rpm mark the car is within the 100-110km/h mark, on this run it was barely getting itself to the 90km/h mark

anyone got any other ideas? I'm thinkin that some new injectors, fuel lines, fittings and a new FPR might be in order possibly...only other thing could be a fault TPS but I dunno if that would cause it to be so rough...
Old 03-19-2004, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your gettin oil past ur pistons? rings? considering your getting oil out of your exhaust
Old 03-20-2004, 06:31 AM

Default Re: (JDM EJ1 95)

yep, the black crap that comes out the back of the exhaust is an oily substance.

if I back the car up against the garage and rev it up to 5000rpm, when it sputters and bucks it starts spewing the black out the back...I could see if it was a chalky substance but this is a wet, black liquid which is quite oily.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (E.G.6)

Have you thought about the possibility of a blown head gasket?
Old 03-20-2004, 07:02 AM

Default Re: (JRI94)

figured that was the first problem, but when I hooked up a new temp gauge and started to run the car I figured I would've seen a fluctuation in temperature as the engine speed increased...didn't see anything, the temp of the engine always seems to operate at normal...still not ruling out the headgasket though...
Old 03-20-2004, 07:33 AM

Here's some of the video that I shot...this is me gettin onto the highway in 2nd gear here and comin down onto the stretch and tryin to max the gear out...you can hear the bucking and engine choking in its tone...you can also hear the fact that the car only managed to get up to about 80-85km/h and wouldn't cross into VTEC on me because it wouldn't get into the rpm range

anyways, just right click and save as....this is really starting to **** me off.

http://www.smcclelland.com/hatch.avi
Old 03-20-2004, 07:47 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Do you have any check engine lights?

It's going to be hard to e-diagnose your car bro, and throwing money and random parts at it will only be a waste IMO.

Do you have any trustworthy mechanics around your area that could help?
Old 03-20-2004, 08:07 AM

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

I got a couple decent guys in the area...nobody who is really top notch I would say.

No CEL's pop up on me...I've even gone to the extent of switching up a different ECU and seeing if it spits any errors at me and I get nothing...

unfortunately most mechanics around here are the "we can do this, install this part and if it doesn't work, oh well...we'll just have to try something else"

it's almost beginning to push me to the point of ripping the engine out and just swapping to cut all this crap out haha...

I went through the part by part stuff before...replaced the distributor, the ignition coil, the EGR valve, fuel pressure regulator, swapped intake manifolds, throttle bodies, changed sensors...Thing has got me totally scratching my head and wondering what exactly it is trying to do.

If anyone's got a good shop reference in TO who's willin to take a look at this thing I'd be more than glad to drive it in and drop it off for inspection.