Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need some help finishing up a swap, crank pulley and belts

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help finishing up a swap, crank pulley and belts

Hi guys, first of all I posted when the car didn't start here: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/2000-civic-no-start-help-please-2825552/ .. And I'm sorry I didn't reply, but the engine ended up being dead so I've been scrambling lately...

Once I towed it to mechanic, he said the spark was weak so he got another distributor but it still wouldn't start so he checked the compression and it was 0 on 2 cylinders. So RonJ thanks and to all other who helped me there.

I bought an engine, exactly the same one (D16Y7) with tranny and have been swapping it in. I've never done this before, I've only parted a car so I helped pull the motor there but that's it. There were a lot of firsts, and I borrowed my friend's hoist, but it's gone pretty well I just need help with a few things, thanks a lot for looking..

-------

The last part that I have to do is put the belts on and the crank pulley. First of all do I need a crank pulley tool to put it back on? I didn't have to take my old one off, and this engine came with it loose so I just have to tighten it.

I'm hoping I don't have to mess with setting the mechanical timing since the engine came with the tranny attached fully complete, so it should be fine, right?

And this is pretty dumb but I don't know how the belts go. The A/C, alternator, and P/S belts. First of all I mixed them all up and didn't label them (two looked almost exactly the same size?), but I might just get new ones.. but how do they go on?

I already put the lower mount with the a/c compressor on it, will I have to take it off to get the belts on? If anyone has a picture that would be really great...I've been looking in the service manual but can't find anything...

And lastly, my main "problem", is that the pipe that under the engine from the exhaust mani to the rest of the exhaust under the car is bad. And by bad I mean it was so rusted / seized that it's no longer usable, there are supposed to holes to put bolts through but the old bolts rusted in there and there and no longer holes.

So what's my best solution for that? A new pipe from Honda is crazy expensive, I can't find anything used.. will an exhaust shop charge me a lot to do it?

Thanks for much for any help everyone.. I really appreciate I've been scrambling trying to get the car running, got called in to work at 8 AM too...