Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need some help with body work questions (sol specific)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help with body work questions (sol specific)

I didnt know if i should post this in the appearence forum but i didnt think i would get much usefull info there so....

question 1

when I pulled off the seals around the targa they were stuck to the car in a few places. is that intentional by honda or is it a byproduct of age and wear? should i reglue/attach them back to the metal after paint in the spots that werer stuck with a silacone/rtv, or is there some thing that works better?

question 2

around the license plate filler there is rust where the panel is spot welded together. so i sanded the rust off but it seperate the two pannels. it seemed to of ate that glue or filler that was in the gap. what is that stuff or do you have any recomendations on what to use to fill that gap. i would assume that just a regualr body filler would crack. what should i use?

question 3

the littel black seals around the back trim (see arrow)

ive removed them for paint and they were glued on with a thin sorta flexible glue. what is a good product to attach these back with

thanks in advance
Old 01-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, you're in Wausau. I'm in Green Bay. You barely have any Wisconsin rust. Check mine out https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1782701
Old 01-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah its not to bad just there. and right where the bumper meets the fender on the tab.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (craio)

bump
Old 01-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need some help with body work questions (craio)

Question 2: if the gap isnt big, lay down some Fiber Glass Bondo, sand it down, then lay down a thin layer of body filler to get rid of all the fiber glass bondo imperfection.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need some help with body work questions (RJonathan)

Here's a site full of helpful pro's.

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/

Some good info in there.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: need some help with body work questions (B and B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by craio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didnt know if i should post this in the appearence forum but i didnt think i would get much usefull info there so....

question 1

when I pulled off the seals around the targa they were stuck to the car in a few places. is that intentional by honda or is it a byproduct of age and wear? should i reglue/attach them back to the metal after paint in the spots that werer stuck with a silacone/rtv, or is there some thing that works better?

question 2

around the license plate filler there is rust where the panel is spot welded together. so i sanded the rust off but it seperate the two pannels. it seemed to of ate that glue or filler that was in the gap. what is that stuff or do you have any recomendations on what to use to fill that gap. i would assume that just a regualr body filler would crack. what should i use?

question 3

the littel black seals around the back trim (see arrow)

ive removed them for paint and they were glued on with a thin sorta flexible glue. what is a good product to attach these back with

thanks in advance</TD></TR></TABLE>
1) which seals are you talking about? Along the B pillars, you have to peel back the seeal from the metal retainer and then unscrew the retainer. If you're talking about on the top (above windshield and top of the targa bar) then it should be sealed, and you'll have to be really careful with it. Just take your time, maybe a real slim putty knife, and do what you can with it.
2) I have owned 3 sols, ripped apart many more, and know them inside and out. I have no idea what the expletive you're talking about. Spot welds on the license plate filler? It's a removeable panel with the only welds being the studs that allow it to bolt into place.... WTF mate?
3)You should be able to use a silicone caulk, rtv, or some other sort of sealant, but your best bet would be to call Honda and see what they say. Ooooh, Hondabond, bitches! lol. Who knows what they say. Just use something that will hold it. Not like it has anywhere to go....
Old 01-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fizix_skate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B and B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's a site full of helpful pro's.

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/

Some good info in there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow thanks for the link ive been reading throught this a lot as this is my first car i will paint.

The seals im talking about are the ones that go around the targa and down the doors (b pillar & A). I have them off but they were stuck to the metal. not the clip on the side the actual metal of the car.

as to the #2 question if you sand off the paint or look on the back of the license plate panel it is actualy 2 pieces of metal spot welded. then they use some sort of filler to fill the gap between the 2 pannels the rust i had ate the filler and now the gap is back between the 2. that is what i need to fix if possible since replacing them is expensive and hard to find one in decent shape.

lol hondabond ftw
Old 01-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.partstrain.com/prod...00302
Old 01-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fizix_skate)

um since my car is a del sol...
a 1992 Honda Civic 4Cyl 1.5L (Civic 1.5 CX 3dr) panel does me no good
Old 01-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (craio)

take a picture of this panel... I have one in my garage and have never seen a gap....