Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help

so i recently got my head resurfaced, put it all back together and now my car stalls in idle and dies i checked everything dizzy, spark plugs emission parts such as the pcv and stuff with nothing helping. I have a really weird feeling its my timing belt ive searched all over for a diagram the engine is a D15B non v tec i really need some help this is my daily driver for work and its been a bitch with it stalling when it idles or if i try to go into reverse or drive.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:17 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: need some help

Well since you obviously had to remove the belt and reinstall it, is your crank and camgear set appropriately to one another? If so, and if I'm reading this correctly, the car is driveable but won't idle? Have you timed the distributor appropriately?

If everything else is fine to this point, I guess my first instinct would be to inspect the IACV (or EACV it's called sometimes).
Old 02-25-2010, 02:30 AM

well im relatively new to all this stuff so how would i go about checking that i didnt replace the head on my own the iacv is clean i took it off and cleaned it and what not. however the other suggestions you made i need more detail on that sorry for the noobyness. Yes the car is driveable but i have to keep it accelerated to keep it from dying
Old 02-25-2010, 02:46 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok you might need to refresh my memory, the IACV has something inside that is threaded? If so, did you return it to it's original position?

For setting the crank along with the cam, first set the crank to top dead center (TDC). There should be a plastic notch (or pointer) when you look down into the engine bay that runs along the plastic timing belt cover and points sort of at the main pulley. On the main pulley, you should see timing marks, a set of three together (one red stripe/notch between two white ones), on either side of your alternator belt slot. If/when you see these keep rotating counter clockwise until you see a single white notch and line that up to the pointer on the timing cover. Then take a look at your cam gear. There's two notches that should be level with the head like this:

If the crank is properly set at TDC and the cam isn't, you need to adjust the belt accordingly (may be easier said than done). Sorry for the vague explanation of the marks for the crank, I don't have a picture of that handy.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:35 PM

alright thanks ill look into that hopefully that solves my problem if not then it might be something else