Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Some Engine Info From you guys, Trust me it's not a common engine!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Engine Info From you guys, Trust me it's not a common engine!

First off Hello,

I did a search regarding a d16b5 and came back with no results

This Engine is out of a 99 California Spec. Civic GX VTEC (yeah, GX) and runs on natural gas. If you looked at this engine in person, you would be quick to say: "it's a Y8," but it's not

Basically my question is: What can I due to convert it to Gasonline as opposed to natural gas, is it a feasible conversion? Is it as simple as swapping untake manifolds?

This engine has been sitting in my garage for over 1 year now. I really need to salvage it in some way it has 14k miles on it an can be eaten off of.

I would appreciate any type of help possible.

Thanks People!
Old 11-09-2005, 05:38 AM

Default Re: Need Some Engine Info From you guys, Trust me it's not a common engine! (Kevykev)

I don't think its is convertable to change over to gasoline engine no.
I beleive this engine will have a completly different setup and would not work correctly at all but just an opinion
Old 11-09-2005, 05:38 AM

Default Re: Need Some Engine Info From you guys, Trust me it's not a common engine! (Kevykev)

wow... ive never heard of that.

i doubt it would be worth it tho, i can see ALOT of problems coming out of that setup down the road.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:20 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: Need Some Engine Info From you guys, Trust me it's not a common engine! (j4yd3um4lyf3)

Damn, I've never heard of this.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:24 AM
mc
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Some Engine Info From you guys, Trust me it's not a common engine! (JDM-EJ1)

I think the gx has really high compression something like 12.5
Old 11-09-2005, 06:36 AM

Yeah That's why i need confirmation before I waste time on it.

I think the compression is higher than the y8 not sure of the exact numbers though.

LOL I actually have a rare Honda engine in my garage and it isn't even JDM wow that some BS.

This motor is waaay to clean to go to waste...

Thanks for the input so far guys
Old 11-09-2005, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kevykev)

where in the heck would you fill that up. I'm ATL and haven't seen a station carrying NG.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I don't know what all would be involved in the conversion to gasoline, it is possible to run the pistons from the GX in a Y8. This results in some high compression, as it does in the GX.

The question is, what do you want ultimately from the conversion? If you want a basically stock civic, I would bet that you could find a Y8 donor and swap the needed parts to the new engine/chassis. You'd most likely need the entire fuel system as well, lines, tank, pump, etc. This part is a guess, as I'm not as familiar with NG as I should be. But I do know that the engines are very similar, and as such, lots of parts should interchange. The pistons would also have to be exchanged to drop the compression down to "livable" levels.

I've seen people run GX-like compression ratios, but it needs breathing mods, high-octane fuel, and good tuning. So this would be an option, should you want to go the performance route. It forgoes any supercharging, but you basically have a "built" naturally aspiriated setup to start with.

There's the couple options that I can think of that you could consider, but please bear in mind that I haven't seen this done and am just basing my suggestions on known facts about the D series engines. The one you have is not as common, but the majority of D series parts are interchangeable with little effort.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Some Engine Info From you guys, Trust me it's not a common engine! (mc)

This has a lot of info. It's about the 01+ engine. It sounds like it's closely related to the d17a2, but not close enough that it would be worth converting. From what I gather, you need to replace the fuel system, IM, EM, ECU, Camshaft, Valve Springs and pistons

http://www.iangv.org/files/ngv...i.doc
Old 11-09-2005, 06:54 AM

Default Re: (blaze the chemi)

For the time and the money it would cost you to do it sucessfully, you could have bought an EX/LX/HX/DX
Old 11-09-2005, 06:58 AM

Default Re: (96CivicBoostCoupe)

Time maybe, but keep in mind the car only has 14k miles on it. That's extremely low mileage.

Deffinatly worth studing the conversion IMHO.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96CivicBoostCoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96CivicBoostCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For the time and the money it would cost you to do it sucessfully, you could have bought an EX/LX/HX/DX</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you expand on that statement and tell us exactly why it would cost so much time and money? Enough money to have bought a new car? Y8 parts should be a direct swap, so if he has a complete y8 with a blown block or something, then it'll just take some new piston rings and rod/crank bearings. Even if he doens't have a blown y8, I bet someone does that they're trying to sell on the cheap.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:55 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (jolt-tsp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a good article &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nearly 80 percent of the county alternative fuels fleet are dedicated (operates exclusively on natural gas) and bi-fuel or dual-fuel (use both natural gas and gasoline) vehicles. The benefits are lower operating costs, fuel cost fifty percent less than gasoline, and they have significantly lower exhaust emissions. Our vehicles store natural gas in high-pressure fuel cylinders at 3,000 to 3,600 pounds per square inch (psi). There are nine Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) refueling stations throughout the county. Nationwide, there are approximately 1,300 refueling stations in 46 states, and the number continues to grow. In addition, CNG vehicle owners can refuel their cars at home by installing small compressors connected directly to the home’s natural gas supply.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-09-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: (GetawayInMoscow)

u got n e pics of it?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (j4yd3um4lyf3)

these civics where a test civic there are a couple rolling around in my hood? no performace possiblity you cant switch over everything is completely different, best thing you could do and save money is sell it and by a regular civic
Old 11-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tuck'd98)

Save the engine! Make sure it runs fine and see if your county/state gives some sort of waivers or perks for having a vehicle that runs on NG. If not I'll like to purchase it for a good price, here in Cali I know I'll be able to benefit off of it.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:44 PM

Here's a link to a thread i posted on my Local forum:

http://forums.importatlanta.co...19798

No one has any solid answers.

This engine was purchased by mistake (Long Story)

I live in atlanta so if anyone wants it for parts or a project make an offer.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

digging this up, the engine is sold, and I am using it in my project
Old 04-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of this, they produced it for a short time in one year in hopes of saving gas even further, they found out that nat gas wasn't viable enough quickly and they stoppped

No, you can't convert it w/o a lot of $, u'd basically have to swap out everything, def. not worth it

I suppose you can chnage the block and add high comp pistons though to keep the comp ratio :-\ and rebuild it w/ normal parts
Old 04-20-2006, 05:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've heard of this, they produced it for a short time in one year in hopes of saving gas even further, they found out that nat gas wasn't viable enough quickly and they stoppped

No, you can't convert it w/o a lot of $, u'd basically have to swap out everything, def. not worth it

I suppose you can chnage the block and add high comp pistons though to keep the comp ratio :-\ and rebuild it w/ normal parts</TD></TR></TABLE>

In terms of being viable...honda still makes natural gas civics, so they must think it's worth soemthing.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But why? A NG motor is worth much more than a gas engine.

ie. I have a JDM B18c5. Please let me know if I can convert it to a b18b spec engine.

But anyway, I recall that the pistons are interchangeable between the y8 and your b5.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:39 PM

Default Re: (Bense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">digging this up, the engine is sold, and I am using it in my project</TD></TR></TABLE>

When I saw this, you came to mind.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well that's why I said "as far as I know", I didn't know they still made them :-\
Old 04-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: (Syndacate)

intake manifold swap and that's all. Of course I am documenting all of this in my thread (now 13-pages) check the sig
Old 04-20-2006, 05:53 PM

I was looking at new civics randomly next year and they had one on the lot,

They're more of a fleet car, though NG is very popular down in mexico.

Quick Reply: Need Some Engine Info From you guys, Trust me it's not a common engine!