Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need some answers

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some answers

my 1993 honda del sol is losing power when going uphill even in first gear. but when driving it otherwise it runs great. also just wondering when the o2 sensor should be changed is there any recommended time.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Losing power going up hill? well maybe its because the engine is working harder trying to make it up the hill and you also probably have a single cam in there I assume which makes it more harder on the little engine. If you are trying to change an 02 sensor by yourself for the first time, it might take you 45 mins with instructions.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:08 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: need some answers (starvinhkd)

don't listen to the above guy, a single cam doesn't mean you don't have power. there are single cam cars faster than you'd think.

if he disagrees just ask him exactly a dual cam is better, he won't know.

anyway, check your fuel system first, the pickup might be messed up just such that it isn't getting fuel when the car is tilted up.

also make sure you have enough oil in the car, slight chance here, but again a pickup issue.

don't worry about your O2 sensor, its fine if there isn't a check engine code for it, there is no recommended time to replace it pre-emptively

what else could make a car lose power when going uphill, well if the oil is low vtec won't engage, so that could be it again, go check your oil level.

and welcome to honda-tech
Old 10-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need some answers (EGmikeH22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGmikeH22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">don't listen to the above guy, a single cam doesn't mean you don't have power. there are single cam cars faster than you'd think.

if he disagrees just ask him exactly a dual cam is better, he won't know.

anyway, check your fuel system first, the pickup might be messed up just such that it isn't getting fuel when the car is tilted up.

also make sure you have enough oil in the car, slight chance here, but again a pickup issue.

don't worry about your O2 sensor, its fine if there isn't a check engine code for it, there is no recommended time to replace it pre-emptively

what else could make a car lose power when going uphill, well if the oil is low vtec won't engage, so that could be it again, go check your oil level.

and welcome to honda-tech</TD></TR></TABLE>

you still can take some of the things I said into consideration. yes there are some very QUICK single cams out there. But I was assuming he had a stock single cam. We dont know if he has the VTEC del sol or non vtec. you can take that into consideration. And the reason why dual cams are better than single cams is because single cams have to use one cam for intake and exhaust while dual cams have individual cams for exhaust and intake meaning better flow for each thing. thats just a general example.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whens the last time you did a tune up?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:43 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: need some answers (JayKayNidas)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JayKayNidas &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And the reason why dual cams are better than single cams is because single cams have to use one cam for intake and exhaust while dual cams have individual cams for exhaust and intake meaning better flow for each thing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that is a definition with an assumption at the end, a poor excuse of a reason.

if you don't know WHY one thing is better than the other, why are you educating people.

i guess its a problem with youth not a problem with you.

dual cams are better because you can individually advance or retard intake and exhaust. with a single cam you can't just advance the intake valve timing by a little bit but not the exhaust timing.

also dual cams are more simple to look at and conceptualize, if you've ever seen a single cam vtec cam you know what I mean.

-as it pertains to this example I think you initially meant that he may just have an unpowerful car, which is definitely true. I do not think, though, that this is the problem he is having, since he is saying it is only a problem uphill.

but, if he is somewhere like burnin' san fran... the hills may be steep enough that an underpowered car would have trouble even if running normally.

who knows.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need some answers (EGmikeH22)

How is any of this helping this person with his problem. like the above poster said do a general tune up. how many miles are on the car since the last tune up. its usually just the simple things we overlook.