Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need some advice on a trade - my '91 GTI for '95 parts coupe, '93 hatch

Old 05-07-2006, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on a trade - my '91 GTI for '95 parts coupe, '93 hatch

hey guys, kinda new to hondas (not a 100% noob though) but i dont know the values of them...

so heres the deal. this guy wants to trade me 2 civics; a 93 hatch, and a 95 coupe parts car for my '91 gti. heres the run down on both of them:

white '93 hatch (dont know the model, might be a cx. doesnt have a tach). saw this today.
-dx motor
-dc header
-some kind of intake right off the intake manifold
-Apex'i World Sport exhaust (axle back has been removed but is in his closet, ive seen it so no worries there)
-clutchmaster clutch
-has a few spots of rust, all of which are in the rear fender wells, 1 on the lower corner of the pass door, and one spot on the driver door
-divets in the roof rightover drivers side
-numerous dents on fenders, and infront of the driver side rear wheel
-big dent underneith drivers side taillight on the side of the car
-blown headgasket (burns SERIOUS oil, smokes real bad, where its leaking is obvious, on the left hand side of the block/head)
-cracked headlight
-5spd, 70k on tranny
-no paint on either bumpers
-166k on the odo
-interior looks pretty clean, gauge cluster surround panl and a few other peices are painted blue (EW). a couple wires on the floor but nothing too bad
-idle stabilizer valve is fucked, it does that rev crap at idle

black 95 coupe. did not see this car yet, its at his grandmas place
-60k on well running z6
-some off brand coilover sleeves
-said that the shell is worse than the hatch, but all it needs is a hood and fenders for it to look better
-something is fucked up with either the tranny or clutch. not sure what exactly is wrong, but im thinking the syncros are fried

and heres my car and all the **** its coming with:
91 8v gti
-75k on 1.8 8v
-intake
-bosal header, catback
-tt high flow cat
-fk konigsport coilovers ($1300 with koni yellows)
-crystal clear crosshair headlights
-badgless grille
-16x7 5zigen fn01rc (or something liket hat) ripoff wheels w/beat dunlop fm901s
-heavy rust under both rear flairs
-hole in driver side floor, but still solid (can pound the **** out of it and nothing happens)
-base model GL seats
-MJAOR exhaust leak between header and cat
-MAJOR rattle between header and cat
-does not like to start when hot (doesnt turn over; i guess the starter is going)
-needs shifter rebuild kit, all the bushings are compeltely gone...makes for a VERY loose shifter even in gear
-repainted last year, but theres a LOT of flaws in it, the paint is chipping/peeling away ina lot of places and theres a few runs

do you guys think this is worth it? before i do anything, im gonna take a look at the coupe and see whats up with it. he said hed help me throw the z6 in the hatch if thats what i wanna do. im really thinking about it, he was asking $3000 for both cars. is there anything that i should be looking at specifically? he claims that the hatch will keep up with Si's (unsure if he meant the '00 Si or the EG Si ).

also, if i were to swap in the z6 in the hatch, can i use the DC header?

thanks for all your help guys, i really appriciate it!
Old 05-08-2006, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Need some advice on a trade - my '91 GTI for '95 parts coupe, '93 hatch (HabitualLinestepper)

ttt, please help! id love to get into a couple hondas, but i dont wanna get ripped off!
Old 05-08-2006, 10:37 AM

I think that sounds pretty fair. When I saw your suspension setup, I thought you should keep your gti and look for a better deal, but then you got into your cars problems. I would say go for the trade as long as the coupe is running good. You should be able to reuse the header, might have to port match a little. You are gonna want to use the tranny from the coupe, eventhough the dx tranny will bolt up, the gearing sucks. I doubt that hatch could keep up with the DOHC Si, he was probably talking about the EG Si. And dont forget, you could part out the parts car and make money off it. hope this helps
Old 05-08-2006, 10:58 AM

Default Re: (SicilianSpeed42)

thanks a ton for the reply!

yeah, with the coilovers i was like ehhhhhh...i dont know!

to my knowledge,t he coupe DOES run, but doesnt move. he said something is wrong witht he clutch or tranny. so either the cltuch is toast, or the syncros are toast; im not really sure. but thanks for the response!!

any other opinions??
Old 05-08-2006, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Need some advice on a trade - my '91 GTI for '95 parts coupe, '93 hatch (HabitualLinestepper)

ttt please!
Old 05-08-2006, 04:08 PM

rust for rust

Modified by packthis at 5:19 PM 5/8/2006
Old 05-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some advice on a trade - my '91 GTI for '95 parts coupe, '93 hatch (packthis)

dont do it
you could trade your gti for a clean semi moddef hatch straight up
Old 05-08-2006, 04:47 PM

I would say go for it and fix the better of the two. Then part out the other of the two. I think Honda is a much car then vw. I've had both, and when my Vws started having problems they went down hill fast, and nickel and dimed the hell out of me.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Need some advice on a trade - my '91 GTI for '95 parts coupe, '93 hatch (92 si hatch)

just got a confirmation that the clutch is whats screwed up. its just gone supposedly, ut none the less id still like to see it before i trade.

lemme see if i cant trade for a nicer slightly modded hatch...ill post a topic in a few minutes here