Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need some advice. Thinking of going to LS Turbo engine..

Old 07-25-2003, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice. Thinking of going to LS Turbo engine..

This is for a 94 SI, currently stock motor and greddy turbo kit.

Okay. As I've stated in a few other posts my car was recently totalled. I bought it back and got a pretty good insurance check, so I want to fix the front end damage and am thinking about stepping the performance up a bit. Right now I have the d16z6 engine with the greddy 15g turbo kit. I was happy with the power as a daily driver, it definitely kept me happy, but I figure now that I bought an se-r(at a great price) as a daily driver, I might as well step the civic up a bit. The only reason I am thinking of going with an LS engine is because I have a friend who has one that was out of a 99 LS car with only 28,000 miles(and all the paperwork for it, the car was totalled in the rear) and I think he's going to sell the whole engine/head/tranny for $700. Seems like a great deal to me. Basically I want to know if this is going to be a wise decision? or should I stick with say a b16b? I also have the option to put a b16 head on. One of the guys I work with has done plenty of LS/Vtec engines, and runs one in his race car. I have heard that the reliablity of those engines though isn't up to par with other engines. Is that true, or should it be reliable if done right?

I am most likely going to build the engine a little, but with the low miles, if the engine might be reliable stock for now, that would be fine. I know Inline has the GSR headgasket that they claim with can run ~14lbs of boost on daily. I don't know if the LS would use the same gasket, or if there is anything that would work to that effect. I do plan on putting a blockgaurd in no matter what.

As far as what I will need to put it in my eg, what am I going to need? I know I need motor mounts, but I don't know what else I'm going to need for the install.

Now to the turbo part. I am guessing with the LS engine, my d-series turbo kit will be pretty much useless. Are there any kits out there for this type of setup, or am I going to have to go custom? I want to build a pretty bad street car, but don't want to go overboard. I would still like to keep a certain amount of reliablity with the set-up. I have a dyno, so tuning won't be an issue, that will all be taken care of.

Fuel Control. What would be the best for this setup? I have and AFC now and that worked great inline with the greddy bluebox, but am I going to have to go like a Hondata route now?

I am sure I forgot to address a few things, but I think this will get me started. I am going to be doing a lot of research, but wanted to get some help from people who know and i can ask questions straight to. If I forgot anything, please feel free to add any info I might need.

If this is the wrong forum, please move the post, but I figured this might be the best forum to start off in. Thanks! I wrote this pretty quickly, so if anything is confusing just let me know, and I probably misspelled tons of words at the same time, but don't feel like proof reading everything.