Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need some advice peeps...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice peeps...

Recently I transferred back to the States from Japan. I am in need of a vehicle perferably a Honda/Acura as I do have some history with them and know my way around them.

Well recently I found a DC2 in my area and price range. But after reading the post on CL I discovered that the car needs a new block, possible bearing but owner is not sure. From the pictures the exterior and interior look straight for a 10 year old car. Do you think the car is worth the $2500 he is asking?

How hard could it be to replace that block? What is the going rate for a B18C1 block or even a JDM block? Could I smog it with the JDM block as well? TIA
Old 12-20-2009, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Need some advice peeps...

A DC2 with a bad block for $2500? That seems high to me. There are plenty of running DC2s out there for a little more. As far as smogging a JDM block, this is still a matter of debate. Apparently there are places out there that will REF/smog them, and others that won't. Your mileage may vary.

fm
Old 12-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need some advice peeps...

fungus,

I read that thread about the legalities of smogging a JDM block. One of the guys that posted he included in his post a very helpful link. It really cleared up a lot in regards to smogging a JDM block. Here is that link: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm

As far as the car goes, what do you think I should offer him? Currently it sits as a planned no op but it will have to be smogged shortly after me taking owner ship. But I need a car soon as I have to report to on orders to San Diego and need a car prior to then. This car is too good to pass on.