Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need replacement radiator. Have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need replacement radiator. Have a few questions.

Well I discovered a leak in my radiator today (damn near overheated my car). I have a 96 CX hatch with a B16A2 swap from a 99 Si but for some reason the guy that actually did the swap kept CX radiator. Well after havin the car 9 months the radiator is ready to go.

SO I was wondering, I need a replacement so naturally I thought 99-00 Si radiator from NAPA, O'Reilly's, or somewhere like that. But my brother says I should try to get a one for a Del Sol VTEC. I think he's nuts really. Is there any difference? I'd just rather get one that was made specifically for this motor since the engine bay is about the same as an EM1's anyway. I can't really imagine there too much of a difference though since they both have the same motor.

Also, I was lookin just for the hell of it on Password JDM and they have a DC2 ITR radiator AND fan that costs less than just the EM1 radiator from NAPA. Would it work and would it be worth getting? Would I be better off spending an extra $20 for a brand new EM1 radiator?

Thanks for any help!
Old 08-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need replacement radiator. Have a few questions. (Techy)

I think your brother is right in that he's talking about a Del Sol DOHC VTEC model - which had a B16a3.

Though you can run a stock CX rad and you'll be fine.

Though if you think it'll make a difference, a full sized DA/DC rad would be your best bet.

And yeah, people will try to con you into buying name brand stuff (seeing as it's your cooling system and all) but I've seen NAPA or other cheap-**** rads run for an assload of a long time w/o any problems.

EDIT:
It's a B16, it's not anything top notch.

I'd get a replacement for your chassis and be done with it.

Your car won't run cooler with a DA/DC full sized rad.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need replacement radiator. Have a few questions. (Syndacate)

well I have an A2 out of an EM1 (not an A3) so I figured OE replacement radiator for an EM1 would be the best choice and I'm cheap so that's why I mentioned the ITR one. The ITR one was only $99.99 on PW:JDM while the NAPA OE replacement EM1 one $120.

Is there any difference between a 96-97 Del Sol VTEC one and a 99-00 Si one? I mean they are both the A2. Only thing I can see makin a difference would be the chassis.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need replacement radiator. Have a few questions. (Techy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Techy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well I have an A2 out of an EM1 (not an A3) so I figured OE replacement radiator for an EM1 would be the best choice and I'm cheap so that's why I mentioned the ITR one. The ITR one was only $99.99 on PW:JDM while the NAPA OE replacement EM1 one $120.

Is there any difference between a 96-97 Del Sol VTEC one and a 99-00 Si one? I mean they are both the A2. Only thing I can see makin a difference would be the chassis.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Eh, same **** .

If you were really cheap (and smart) you'd run a regular CX rad.

It's not gonna affect anything on your heavy hitting stock B16 there...
Old 08-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well I just want a radiator that the hoses actually fit right is all. The CX did fine for the whole time up until now (car has run cold as ice since I had it until today). It's just the hoses had to be clamped down extra tight since the Si hoses were larger.

Ehh, I'll just swing by NAPA or O'Reilly's Sunday and get one. As long as I keep it at low revs it doens't really leak too much. The leak is at the very top. Plus I got water and antifreeze in the back just in case.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Techy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Techy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well I just want a radiator that the hoses actually fit right is all. The CX did fine for the whole time up until now (car has run cold as ice since I had it until today). It's just the hoses had to be clamped down extra tight since the Si hoses were larger.

Ehh, I'll just swing by NAPA or O'Reilly's Sunday and get one. As long as I keep it at low revs it doens't really leak too much. The leak is at the very top. Plus I got water and antifreeze in the back just in case.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Eh, my friend hit a possem or racoon or some ****, we just drove to autozone and changed the rad in the parking lot - took all of 4 and a half minutes.

He's using GSR hoses too (GSR in a DX) and we just used the screw-type clamps instead of the needle-nose types) and tightened them extra-tight - worked fine for god knows how many weeks already and he beats the hell out of it...
Old 08-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I got screw clamps too. Well if the radiator is so easy to change then I think I may just do it my self in the back yard with my dad or one of my friends.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Techy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Techy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah I got screw clamps too. Well if the radiator is so easy to change then I think I may just do it my self in the back yard with my dad or one of my friends.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's a one person job, honestly, especially on a civic. No more than 5 minutes if you've never done it before (unless you plan on flushing the entire system).

Unbolt the hoses, point 'em up towards the dizzy so you don't loose coolant (make sure you drain the petcock at the bottom of the rad) - unbolt the piece that holds the rad top to the rad support, then pull out the rad. Take the old fan off, put it on the new rad. Drop the new rad in there, attach the hoses, put the petcock back in, fill it back up, and you're ready to roll. It's really simple on a civic.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:17 PM
k powered ej1

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's a one person job, honestly, especially on a civic. No more than 5 minutes if you've never done it before (unless you plan on flushing the entire system).

Unbolt the hoses, point 'em up towards the dizzy so you don't loose coolant (make sure you drain the petcock at the bottom of the rad) - unbolt the piece that holds the rad top to the rad support, then pull out the rad. Take the old fan off, put it on the new rad. Drop the new rad in there, attach the hoses, put the petcock back in, fill it back up, and you're ready to roll. It's really simple on a civic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so who do you pay to do it ricer?
Old 08-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

Well, I never work on a car alone. It's always good to have someone around when you screw up (which I do often ). Even when it's just changin oil, my brother or dad is there or if my brother is changin his, I'm there to keep an eye on him. That and it's funny as hell cause at least 2 or 3 times he hollers some obscenity due to burnin him self or any other injury that may occur.

Thanks for the little walk through too. I'm still learnin some as you could probably tell.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yo dude, thanks for the instructions. Well, it took a little longer than 5 minutes (45 minutes) but me and my friend got it done. We forgot to put these 2 little rubber feet on at first so that took some time to undo the new radiator and put the feet in place and put the radiator back in. Still it was fairly easy. It was just nearly 100 degrees out so that was the biggest prob.