Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need to replace Steering Column. Options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 03:12 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need to replace Steering Column. Options?

Hey,

So I had my car aligned today at Sears and I was talking to the guy about the loose feel of my steering wheel. We tested the rack by checking play in the wheels, there was none. The car was aligned perfectly as well. This leads me to believe that I need to replace my steering column to get that tight feel back in the wheel. What are my options?

I don't have power steering. Car is an EH2

Can I swap in an ITR column? Is it a direct bolt in? How would that affect performance?
Old 01-17-2005, 03:49 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: Need to replace Steering Column. Options? (litterbox)

Old 01-17-2005, 05:53 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Old 01-17-2005, 08:22 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-17-2005, 09:00 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Old 01-17-2005, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesnt look like anyone will help you, so I'll say what I think. I seriously doubt replacing the steering column will tighten up your steering. I think its much more likely to be your rod ends, probably the outers. They're not worn enough to be a problem, just enough to feel loose. Second would be the alignment. Maybe the bad alignment made it feel tight, or maybe, like most alignment techs, they did a shitty job of just getting it within spec, fudging the results if need be, when in reality its passable but not up to your standards. Third, I would check the condition and quality of the tires. Fourth, a smaller diameter steering wheel will require more effort and thus make the steering feel tighter. And last, I would suggest you increase your caster.

I didn't include this because it's just speculation, but I know on my Toyota there was an adjustment nut on the rack. Too tight would cause excessive wear, and too loose would cause excessive play. Whether that's on Honda's I don't know. I did my rod ends and the steering feels tight to me.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:33 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: Need to replace Steering Column. Options? (shaundrake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shaundrake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Doesnt look like anyone will help you, so I'll say what I think. I seriously doubt replacing the steering column will tighten up your steering. I think its much more likely to be your rod ends, probably the outers. They're not worn enough to be a problem, just enough to feel loose. Second would be the alignment. Maybe the bad alignment made it feel tight, or maybe, like most alignment techs, they did a shitty job of just getting it within spec, fudging the results if need be, when in reality its passable but not up to your standards. Third, I would check the condition and quality of the tires. Fourth, a smaller diameter steering wheel will require more effort and thus make the steering feel tighter. And last, I would suggest you increase your caster.

I didn't include this because it's just speculation, but I know on my Toyota there was an adjustment nut on the rack. Too tight would cause excessive wear, and too loose would cause excessive play. Whether that's on Honda's I don't know. I did my rod ends and the steering feels tight to me.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ok.
1)The tie rods are in decent enough shape.
2)I watched the tech do the alignment. The toe is out of spec in the rear but not too bad. Camber is perfect all the way around.
3)The tires are 1.5 days old.
4)I actaully have a 350mm steering wheel sitting in my room. I just need a hub kit. Any suggestions?

I think I'll still do the tie rod ends though.