Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Quick Help On Rear Caliper (Seized)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Quick Help On Rear Caliper (Seized)

OK, so I parked my 95 dx with a full integra brake swap in my driveway. The swap was done a year ago and the rears were both seized at the time so I just went to autozone and exchanged them for remanufactured ones. I got new sliding pins at the same time lubed it up and everything worked perfectly until tonight. I let go of the parking brake and the left rear brake is still grabbing the rotor. After yankign the parking brake up and down to no avail I take off the wheel and notice the spring mechanism that is supposed to return the parking brake to neutral upon release of teh parking brake is seized. No significant amount of rust in the year it's been on. I literally had to pry it back to neutral position and it made a loud snap sound. I then tried to free the mechanism up thinking it's a piece of rust or something but it did it every time! After a certain point, it just kind of falls into the fully tight position and locks into place until I pry it back, with quite a bit of force/hammer, and every time it makes a snap sound. I have disconnected that parking brake but now my parking brake situation is useless and I'm going to have to concentrate on where I park until this is fixed. Autozone is lifetime warranty, which is good, but do I really have a f'd up caliper that needs replacing which I don't want to do, or is there something else I can do. I just don't want to waste a lot of time on this (replacing the caliper, bleeding etc.) beacause of exams. I looked at a parts diagram and it's loaded with little things that are probably screwed up in my caliper, or are they? Anybody encounter this? Should I have gone with remanufactured from the dealership (expensivo) or brand new from the dealership (rape-o)? Please help peeps. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Steve
Old 04-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Quick Help On Rear Caliper (Seized)

It will take longer to rebuild then just replacing it. Use the warranty.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So you definitely think it's busted or is there a possibility that something simpler is wrong? Just want to make sure. I also don't want to "use the warranty" every year. If it's busted is this a rare thing? Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds like it's internal, and it is rare. I have bought a couple of calipers from autozone (different cars) and never had a problem, most likely it won't happen again. They won't hassle you for using the warranty every year.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright. Thanks man. Friday night will be it! Just have to convince my wife to pump the pedal again. For some reason she hates helping me with anything even as simple as pumping the brakes while I bleed.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tell her how much money you are saving by not taking it to a shop and maybe she will appreciate the work.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That would make sense, but she just makes fun of me. I know that doesn't make sense, but it's true I tell you. Maybe I'll put her up on ebay or something or get a remanufactured wife from autozone. ewww all greasy and shyte. ok enough already. thanks bye