Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need quick help asap!!! car dies after putting stock parts on!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need quick help asap!!! car dies after putting stock parts on!!

I just put my stock header and intake back on today, and now when I start the car it just dies and wont idle. All the connections are in place and everything is secure..

what the hell did I do wrong? and how Do I fix it?!
Old 11-07-2004, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need quick help asap!!! car dies after putting stock parts on!! (Si Erik)

get off HT and go figure it out. it is not that hard to diagnose. figure out what you touched on your car while you were working on it and use your brain to correct the problem. your O2 sensor connected???? were there any small animals living in the intake??? odds are there was a squirrel living in it and you sucked it into your intake and now your car runs like ****. damn man go check it out
Old 11-07-2004, 03:50 PM

Default Re: need quick help asap!!! car dies after putting stock parts on!! (lohatch)

ya i have bene outside for the past half hour trying to figure it out...

any body else got any ideas..I already reset the ecu
Old 11-07-2004, 07:02 PM

Default Re: need quick help asap!!! car dies after putting stock parts on!! (Si Erik)

OK I got it to run, but now it idles very low..probably around 400 RPM and the car feels like it's about to die and the ligths get very dim...I can't figure this **** out! I have adjusted the ICV or whatever that thing is
Old 11-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what all did you touch/mess with?
Old 11-07-2004, 07:05 PM

Default Re: need quick help asap!!! car dies after putting stock parts on!! (DJ_SaNdOz)

Well, first I put my stock header and intake back on becuase of my ref ticket..second the way I fixed it is me and my friend messed with the ICV and with the throttle cable was a little loose so we tightened it up a bit.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you took off the IACV, did you hook up the plug on the back again?
Old 11-07-2004, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how the hell do you adjust the IACV?
Old 11-07-2004, 07:09 PM

Default Re: need quick help asap!!! car dies after putting stock parts on!! (b_cruz.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b_cruz. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how the hell do you adjust the IACV? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well whatever that screw is on the intake manifold we turned that like 2 1/2 times, I wasn't realy the one doing it so I don't know...
Old 11-07-2004, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need quick help asap!!! car dies after putting stock parts on!! (b_cruz.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b_cruz. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how the hell do you adjust the IACV? </TD></TR></TABLE>
He may mean the idle screw, but I dunno...He said ICV, so I am not definitvely sure...

Edit: He did mean idle screw.....Turn it back, that should be one of the last things that you adjust for idle issues, there is usually something that causes the issue beyond that screw....
Old 11-07-2004, 07:12 PM

Default Re: need quick help asap!!! car dies after putting stock parts on!! (DJ_SaNdOz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DJ_SaNdOz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
He may mean the idle screw, but I dunno...He said ICV, so I am not definitvely sure...

Edit: He did mean idle screw.....Turn it back, that should be one of the last things that you adjust for idle issues, there is usually something that causes the issue beyond that screw....</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya I am aware of that but whatever we did it's running right now just very low. So before I take it into the shop on tuesday any body know anything else that I should look into?
Old 11-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go get your ref pass like it is and put your other **** back on.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:22 PM

Default Re: need quick help asap!!! car dies after putting stock parts on!! (Mistamike17)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mistamike17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go get your ref pass like it is and put your other **** back on. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was planning on it, except I was going to get a different header that is legal so I don't have anything to worry about if I get my hood popped again!
Old 11-07-2004, 07:26 PM

i would suggest the IAC valve
Old 11-07-2004, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Paint it black and tell em you took off the heat shield because it got dented.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:05 PM

bump?!
Old 11-08-2004, 05:23 PM

Ok, SO I don't know what the **** is wrong..the car will not idle when the car is completely cold but when it warms up it will idle but very low..ANY one know what could be wrong?!
Old 11-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It could be a few things... vacuum leakage, leaking egr valve (if you have one), air filter clogged, fuel pump not delivering enough fuel, leaking head gasket, timing belt worn, pulleys worn, camshaft lobes worn. If I had to pick one thing, I'd have to say that you screwed something up while installing your new ****. Your idle speed could be wrong or maybe you have a leak in your intake hose or something. Also, check to make sure you don't have any spiders or anything caught up in there that could be obstructing your air flow. It may sound stupid but hell, I've heard of crazier things.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:57 PM

Default Re: need quick help asap!!! car dies after putting stock parts on!! (Mistamike17)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mistamike17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It could be a few things... vacuum leakage, leaking egr valve (if you have one), air filter clogged, fuel pump not delivering enough fuel, leaking head gasket, timing belt worn, pulleys worn, camshaft lobes worn. If I had to pick one thing, I'd have to say that you screwed something up while installing your new ****. Your idle speed could be wrong or maybe you have a leak in your intake hose or something. Also, check to make sure you don't have any spiders or anything caught up in there that could be obstructing your air flow. It may sound stupid but hell, I've heard of crazier things.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I took it to a shop today, they checked for vacuum leaks, didn't find any, I don't know about an EGR valve, but when the car is completely cold tomorrow morning they are checking some valve, I doubt it's the fuel pump becuase after the car is warm it runs fine, just has a low idle, and I don't see how I can screw something up by just putting my STOCk intake and header back on... and I already looked in the intake and manifold and didn't see anything obstructing the air flow..this is ****** mind boggling.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What's the filter look like? Also, during the install, if you touched one of the sensors with your bare hands, you could've ruined it, though its very unlikely.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take the intake arm off. i doubt it will fix anything but try it. when you take the arm off and look into the TB there should be two holes before the butterfly. have the car running and take your finger and put it over them, and one at a time. see what happens. you might have to blip the TB by hand to keep it running.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:41 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mistamike17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What's the filter look like? Also, during the install, if you touched one of the sensors with your bare hands, you could've ruined it, though its very unlikely.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not the filter, becuase I took it out to see if it was that and the car still shut off..also what sensors? also if that were the case wouldn't the car not even run or get a check engine light? and I don't have either of those.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:12 PM

The car dies only when the car is cold, when I sit there are keep it up with the gas and wait until the car is warm..it will idle fine. and the car drives fine and doesn't feel any different..Does any one know what could be wrong since the car is only dying when the car is completely cold?
Old 11-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Si Erik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well whatever that screw is on the intake manifold we turned that like 2 1/2 times, I wasn't realy the one doing it so I don't know...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Undo what you did here. See if that helps. If the idle is too low for the cold car to stay running, it won't.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:27 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mistamike17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Undo what you did here. See if that helps. If the idle is too low for the cold car to stay running, it won't. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ya we did that..didn't help

Quick Reply: need quick help asap!!! car dies after putting stock parts on!!