71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Need Opinions On Turbo Setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Opinions On Turbo Setup

Well I have decided to keep my soch in for a while and build it up...I am looking to make around 220-270hp out of this motor when everything is all said and done. I am also wondering if anyone has used any of the kits i has listed below...they are all within my budget so if you have another idea try and keep it around 1250 for everything if possible. This will be my first time with upgrading any car so I need as much input as possible...if I happen to buy one of these kits what else will I need, and maybe some install tips...also dont be afraid to throw out suggestions.
1.http://www.xs-power.com/acura-honda-turbokits-2.htm
2.http://www.xs-power.com/acura-honda-turbokits-4.htm
3.http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...gory_Code=TOKT
Old 12-09-2008, 05:59 PM

180hp to 200 hp for 1250 dollars is tuff. Now you want to make 250 plus. Not unless you get a lot of parts for free. Your bottom end will not hold. You can build a turbo kit and make good hp for 1200 to 1500 dollar. Ask more question and what are your plains; drag, road race, SCCA, these are questions you need to answer before you start buiding or at least putting together a kit. Good luck and happy building.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

None of the above.

Your $1250 budget will be very difficult to turbo on. Buying those kits will make it even more difficult than a scratch-built system. The turbos will fail quickly, and the BOV's and wastegates leave something to be desired. There's still a lot of fabricating to do, and those kits don't even start to help you with your fuel and tuning.

I'm going to be very frank here. If you don't do your own work, forget it now. A complete turbo setup can cost over $1000 in labor to install in the first place.

If you want to boost reliably, the "best" way is to use a 14B DSM (1989-1994 Eclipse, Talon, Laser) turbo, bolted to a Civic HF manifold with an adaptor plate welded on. Any eBay intercooler will do, along with piping. Make sure it's not too big; bigger isn't always better. A 1g DSM BOV will work just fine, as will DSM 450cc injectors. You'll need to run an oil feed, and an oil return. Your oilpan needs to be welded for the return. Keep the internal wastegate on the 14B intact. You'll have to fab up your own downpipe; you'll need a flange for the 14B and some creativity. Have an exhaust shop fabricate an exhaust for you (probably the downpipe as well). Use 2.5" tubing, a decent muffler and a resonator. Flexpipe too, obviously.

Tuning gets tricky and expensive. FMUs (rising rate fuel pressure regulators) suck, so the best setup is a chipped and tuned ECU. A P28 would likely be the best choice, and have a tune done professionally. You're playing with fire on boost with a crap tune. A wideband would be great, but funds will probably be running very low after you've done all of this.

Keep boost below 10 psi - 8 psi is a known safe limit if it's properly tuned. You definitely won't get 270whp. You'll probably end up around 200whp assuming everything is in good order.

Gauges to monitor fuel pressure, oil pressure and other vitals are very nice to have, but again, you'll be broke after you do this, assuming $1250 can do it at all.

I'm sure I'm forgetting alot. Happy boosting.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by buildit
180hp to 200 hp for 1250 dollars is tuff. Now you want to make 250 plus. Not unless you get a lot of parts for free. Your bottom end will not hold. You can build a turbo kit and make good hp for 1200 to 1500 dollar. Ask more question and what are your plains; drag, road race, SCCA, these are questions you need to answer before you start buiding or at least putting together a kit. Good luck and happy building.
i know...looking for turbo bugdet only for about 1250...im sure i could get alot more to put into the overall engine...basically a daily driver with alot of go. you could look at it as drag more or less...looking for more acceleration than top end, of coarse if i could get both that would be nice. Im sure i could deal with less hp like 200-220 until the far future. If building a kit is the best thing to do, and cheapest than thats what I will do...I know I will have to make the engine support it with internals and what not, but right now concentrating on the sole fact of "what to get"...
Old 12-09-2008, 06:24 PM

On an sohc your looking around 200hp and i wouldnt push it really past that. The internals wont handle it unless you up the rods which is the handicap on these motors. And you can build a kit for around your $1200. I was building up a sohc turbo build and got the majority of it for around that minus the cost of my wideband. If you are interested in a kit i have mine that may be going up for sale soon.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dropped_dime98
On an sohc your looking around 200hp and i wouldnt push it really past that. The internals wont handle it unless you up the rods which is the handicap on these motors. And you can build a kit for around your $1200. I was building up a sohc turbo build and got the majority of it for around that minus the cost of my wideband. If you are interested in a kit i have mine that may be going up for sale soon.
well now that i have looked deeper into the specs of the other motors like the h22 and b18, im wondering if a swap will be in better interest?
Old 12-09-2008, 06:33 PM

Nothing wrong with the sohc. Seeing that you can boost the motor stock and have fun with it as long as you keep the boost down (around or under 10psi) and get a good tune you can have lots of fun. Plus if the motor blows then go to a junk yard and pull another for like $200 maybe less and your back where you were. Just depends on what your looking at doing. When you get into B's and H's turbo parts are alot more pricey compared to an SOHC. I decided to go H22 because i can get one for a good price.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nothing wrong with the sohc. Seeing that you can boost the motor stock and have fun with it as long as you keep the boost down (around or under 10psi) and get a good tune you can have lots of fun. Plus if the motor blows then go to a junk yard and pull another for like $200 maybe less and your back where you were. Just depends on what your looking at doing. When you get into B's and H's turbo parts are alot more pricey compared to an SOHC. I decided to go H22 because i can get one for a good price.
true...but for like 2200 dollars i can get an h22...which supposedly puts out 200hp and 161tq na stock...
Old 12-09-2008, 06:45 PM

Very true and thats a stock motor but thats 200hp at the crank. A turbo sohc will be around 200hp to the wheels. Basically all comes down to what you want out of your car and how much are you willing to put into it. You could go boosted D and youll have a cheap build up but may run into normal probs with going boost or go n/a but will cost you a lil more. Either way should be fun.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very true and thats a stock motor but thats 200hp at the crank. A turbo sohc will be around 200hp to the wheels. Basically all comes down to what you want out of your car and how much are you willing to put into it. You could go boosted D and youll have a cheap build up but may run into normal probs with going boost or go n/a but will cost you a lil more. Either way should be fun.
still looking and considering all options...could always save up and turbo an h22...although i have heard many people state problems and or complications with turboing h22's
Old 12-09-2008, 06:53 PM

Theres one intown that is turbo'd pretty quick but i think you have to keep the boost in the lower range because of the cylinder walls or the sleeves. But H22 love nitrous haha
Old 12-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Boomboy14
well now that i have looked deeper into the specs of the other motors like the h22 and b18, im wondering if a swap will be in better interest?
H22 will still be too expensive. Your run of the mill USDM H22 will come in at around $1500. Then you have to do wiring, which is free if you know what you're doing, axles at $200 to $300, mounts starting at $100, exhaust work and other small stuff that always pops up. I bought an F20B in lieu of turboing my D15B7. So far I'm at $2700ish, and I haven't even started doing the work yet. I still have at least $300 in parts to buy, too.

You might be able to get a B16A done for $1250. You'll need an absolutely screaming deal on a complete swap..it's pretty much bolt-in after you have the right parts. Assuming your swap comes with axles, mounts, ECU, etc and you can swap engines yourself, it can be done. You'll have 130-odd HP and 100ish ft lbs.

A B18B is the same case, but probably a bit cheaper. More torque, too.

Save your money..there isn't anything significant you can do with your budget right now.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by F20B-CX
H22 will still be too expensive. Your run of the mill USDM H22 will come in at around $1500. Then you have to do wiring, which is free if you know what you're doing, axles at $200 to $300, mounts starting at $100, exhaust work and other small stuff that always pops up. I bought an F20B in lieu of turboing my D15B7. So far I'm at $2700ish, and I haven't even started doing the work yet. I still have at least $300 in parts to buy, too.

You might be able to get a B16A done for $1250. You'll need an absolutely screaming deal on a complete swap..it's pretty much bolt-in after you have the right parts. Assuming your swap comes with axles, mounts, ECU, etc and you can swap engines yourself, it can be done. You'll have 130-odd HP and 100ish ft lbs.

A B18B is the same case, but probably a bit cheaper. More torque, too.

Save your money..there isn't anything significant you can do with your budget right now.
as stated before i will not be even considering buy anything until after winter or so...the only reason i was making this a budget was that i was planning on swapping anyway...just wanted something in between...but i might as well save up, get a swap and begin a turbo setup on that...as long as im patient enouph. in the future im looking at 5-6k for total or around there.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:08 PM

If anything skip the b16 you can get a b18 for that. Hell an LS swap with a turbo would be a pretty good build.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you buy this you have a chance at coming in under budget: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/civic...QQcmdZViewItem
H22s also only like 8 psi of boost before they break ring lands on the pistons. The FRM sleeves suck, too.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If anything skip the b16 you can get a b18 for that. Hell an LS swap with a turbo would be a pretty good build.
ya..im not too fond of b16's...i drove a hatch with one and didnt really like it, vtec was barely there and was really late...not my cup of tea...but a gs2 turbo build would be nice...although seeing this kind of make me rethink a b16 lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZxK0Kop9WM
Old 12-09-2008, 07:14 PM

thats why for an H just build it up and run so juice through it instead of a turbo. N that turbo kit wouldnt be a bad thing but seems a lil to good to be true something else has to be wrong with it. Ive had my fair share of to good to be true deals lol. But when you figure out your budget and what you want then youll know where to turn as far as which platform to go to.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is funny xs came up with a cheap ram horn... If I were going to go with any of those kits i would go with the 1st one just cause the other two have the same manifold that are known to crack over and over again. I went and pieced my kit together off of ebay and I even got the ebay turbo and I havent had any problems with it. I havent had it on a year yet but almost and still makes boost no problem and has no surge and the seals arent leaking so hell they way I figure for 150 bucks I could afford to buy a new turbo every year but like I said it dosent even look like its going to go out like everybody claims they do. Now as far as parts are concerned you are going to need
255lph fuel pump I think its like 200 bucks maybe 100 cant remember
injectors- I got precission 680cc for $300
fuel managment you can get hondata s100 for like 175 w\ boost option
feed\ return lines I used steel braided and with the fittings it was like $115 you could use something diffrent for return but I personally like the braided better
Down pipe- Even if you get one in your kit you still have to get it welded up to the rest of the exhaust and have the dump tube made to. I paid like 200 at a mom and pop exhaust shop
your going to want at least a boost gauge if not oil pressure and temp as well but autometer is the only to go. I found out the hard way. 35-40 bucks per gauge
really the only thing left is the tune and I perfer a dyno tune over a street tune but others well argue and thats fine its just a opinion but I paid 300 for like 4-5 hours.

either way you can see that it is not cheap to turbo a car cause all that and I didnt even mention the cost of the kit and I used to have a cheap manifold untill it cracked and had to buy another one so count on that if you go with the last two. the only other thing I can tell you is that really is your hp goal then s100 will not do it cause the max a stock map sensor can read is 11.4psi and you will more then likely will need more than that to get that out of a sohc. so take that 175 for s100 and change it to 600 for s300 and also 130 for a 4 bar map sensor as well. I hope that some where in this you get the point. I too was blind when I started and ended up with out a car for a while so hopefully you dont have to do the same.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can prolly find a used greddy kit out their for around $1200. Ive looked on ebay for one and found some for around their with the td05h which is the 18g. so im sure you could find one for your sohc like the td04 for less. thats what I ran when I had my jdm d15b and made 200whp on 6psi but its all in the tuning.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I would build your own bro.. Or swap it if you wanna go that route.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brent_si
You can prolly find a used greddy kit out their for around $1200. Ive looked on ebay for one and found some for around their with the td05h which is the 18g. so im sure you could find one for your sohc like the td04 for less. thats what I ran when I had my jdm d15b and made 200whp on 6psi but its all in the tuning.
This guy has the right idea^

I would try to get a used greddy kit which can be had for less than 1k and then get it tuned.. it can yeild 200+ whp on less than 10psi with the right tune and exhaust ect.

Plus parts for d series are cheap and available and have awsome potential
Old 12-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

don't waste your money on those shitty knock off kits!!!
those kits will fail leaving you s.o.l.
do a swap it will be worth it in the long run...
Old 12-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a real question, ask it in FI...you'll get better answers. One more thing...dont ask about Ebay garbage. Everyone is going to tell you the same thing...its trash!