Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need opinions and advice 94 civic coupe bolt ons

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 11:52 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need opinions and advice 94 civic coupe bolt ons (sohcvtec1995)

ive seen a turbo auto y8 98ex get it's *** kicked by eg hb with jdm d15b with bolt ons,so auto tranny on a civic is a big weakness
Old 07-26-2004, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need opinions and advice 94 civic coupe bolt ons (ABK)

I like my 17s ride great, however I do have a larger tire than stock, but I would go with 16s. 15s don't fill the wheel well. And who says a 5 spd will kill a auto line the two up and I think you will be very shocked at how close they will run. Stick with the auto changing the trany will involve alot of work and $
Old 07-26-2004, 01:14 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need opinions and advice 94 civic coupe bolt ons (bgoetz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bgoetz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I like my 17s ride great, however I do have a larger tire than stock, but I would go with 16s. 15s don't fill the wheel well. And who says a 5 spd will kill a auto line the two up and I think you will be very shocked at how close they will run. Stick with the auto changing the trany will involve alot of work and $</TD></TR></TABLE>

Believe me honda with auto is horrible, that tranny is horrible for realibity one. Don't think of boosting it, it won't last long and it will slip the moment you put on that turbo. Second off all in NA aplications you will lose 15-20hp at the wheels from auto tranny, so it's not just the take off. Third of all you loose alot of ground on the shifts since it shifts slow as hell. And 17's won't fit on the civic, they will but you can't drop the car, and it will make the car handle like ****. 16's is even too much.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have one of the best autox'ing civics here, and i have a 1 inch drop with 17's, i have absolutely NO problems at all with the wheels fitting, some ppl should stop speaking out thait @ss's i also have a set of 15's when i go dragging, and there's not much difference when it comes to "fun driving" i actually like my 17's better when it comes to cornering, i have a lot more control.

you people who say 17's won't fit, haven't even had 17's so let's keep our UNPROVEN opinions to ourselves.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need opinions and advice 94 civic coupe bolt ons (DemostheneZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DemostheneZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have one of the best autox'ing civics here...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can't help but LMAO at this! That's a ******* bold statement. I'd like to see you go say that in the autox forum. What class...??? And your sig...did you hear somebody say that at a driver's school?
Old 07-26-2004, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And 17's won't fit on the civic, they will but you can't drop the car, and it will make the car handle like ****. 16's is even too much.

I really don't know where you get this crap from, but I have seen bone stock civics that dyno at 105 with a auto tranny the only diff is you have alot more fun with a mannual and and you do have a greater advantage on a track not a strait away and no hp diff the auto tranny requires much less power than your AC. And I personally KNOW YOU ARE WRONG about the tires I have 17" rims with almost 2" of drop. There is a diff in a 94 and a 04, but 16s would be just fine
Old 07-26-2004, 03:28 PM

Default auto-> manual tranny

Yeah, the switch from auto to manual is for sure, thats gonna be part I of this little porject before I do anything else. Been driving manula for the last year and a half..and i'll never go back! (cept in LA traffic...) hahah

nice info, gives me more ideas.

Damn..I should just fly someone out here and do it after i get all the parts..cuz it'll still be cheaper than 1K-1.5K.

Any hobbyist wanna take a crack at this for a fair price in San Diego/Los Angeles area? PM me if interested for a weekend job...oh, and please forward references! Looking to do this in a month or so.

I have most tools, so that shouldnt be a problem. but a lift might be a problem..
Old 07-26-2004, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: auto-> manual tranny (SD350z)

What did you find out about the swap??? how much $ do you think it will cost??? and how hard do you think it will be??? From what I have heard it is like doing the impossible and it will cost alot of $. I could be wrong let me know how it goes and how much it costs I have a couple of friends who want to do it it there hondas.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need opinions and advice 94 civic coupe bolt ons (JRI94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I can't help but LMAO at this! That's a ******* bold statement. I'd like to see you go say that in the autox forum. What class...??? And your sig...did you hear somebody say that at a driver's school? </TD></TR></TABLE>

i said best autox'ing CIVICS, and i'm in the sm class but i mainly do it for recreational, and when i go out there i'm higher then most other civics....

oh and the quote, well it's from a british show, and they were testing the new evo mr's and the scooy sti and the MR OWNED the scooby on the track, and that's what THEY said. i prefer EVO's over STi's, so i thought it was a nice quote
Old 07-26-2004, 06:44 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DemostheneZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have one of the best autox'ing civics here, and i have a 1 inch drop with 17's, i have absolutely NO problems at all with the wheels fitting, some ppl should stop speaking out thait @ss's i also have a set of 15's when i go dragging, and there's not much difference when it comes to "fun driving" i actually like my 17's better when it comes to cornering, i have a lot more control.

you people who say 17's won't fit, haven't even had 17's so let's keep our UNPROVEN opinions to ourselves.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Oh yeah this is funny, if it's those 17's that you got on the car in your sig then you are in for some flamming. If I'm not mistaken those a motegis right? Those are some heavy *** rims, plus you are running skinny *** tire. You know that you would be better of with the stock tires then those for handeling. No tire flex equals shitty *** handeling. You earn an "H-T idiot prize award".

Oh yeah you are saying that your car is lowered 1inch, and the rim and tire package lifts your car up lets say 2 inches, it looks like your car is actually lifted lol. How does that handle?

Modified by ABK at 3:59 AM 7/27/2004
Old 07-27-2004, 12:02 AM

Haha..these guys are having their own flame war..

i appreciate the defense, but honestly, i haven't decided anything about the tires yet. Just know for sure that I want to work on my engine/tranmission first..then the looks and handling.

Auto tranny to manual first
work on the block (port and polish and honing if $ allows)
i/e/h
coilovers
strut bar rear and front
boost (greddy or custom)

in that order of prefernce in the timeline...

this is for the d16z6 for those that have joined us..

i really dont have a grasp on prices for these installs...so i'm lost there.

what i need is a reliable mechanic to tell me what to expect for these kinds of services, that would be REALLY useful to budget my project. THANKS again for all those that have chimed in so far.

Mike
San Diego

Anyone know any other local shops besdies Group 5 and Pann Auto in SD?
Old 07-27-2004, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Need opinions and advice 94 civic coupe bolt ons (Dimi)

I must say, that some girls are more respectable than that. I prefer a guy that's is decent, and if he has a fast car, it's a bonus. I date a guy with a toyota corolla that's falling apart. NOT ALL GIRLS ARE SUPERFICIAL!
Old 07-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need opinions and advice 94 civic coupe bolt ons (SD350z)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SD350z &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just know for sure that I want to work on my engine/tranmission first..then the looks and handling. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What good is a nice engine and tranny gonna be when the car can't handle? You even have handling after looks. Handling should be first and foremost on your list.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DemostheneZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i said best autox'ing CIVICS, and i'm in the sm class but i mainly do it for recreational, and when i go out there i'm higher then most other civics....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm STS and would probably walk all over your SM machine...what puts you SM?
Old 07-27-2004, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Need opinions and advice 94 civic coupe bolt ons (JRI94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What good is a nice engine and tranny gonna be when the car can't handle? You even have handling after looks. Handling should be first and foremost on your list.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i forget to mention..the car currently already has coilovers...but pretty cheap ones....i dont even see the brand on them..haha

so its not completely stock...but yea, i agree with you though, definitely needs to be addressed
Old 07-27-2004, 10:26 AM

sounds like your going to have a hard time hooking your car up with your current budget. i wouldn't try to do it all at once. no shame in rolling the stock steel 14s, and im sure ill be corrected if im wrong but if you get wheels 15 or 17 whatever you choose and stay as close to the weight and diameter of stock you should be ok. allthough this means light rims and they=$$$$$$$ what i mean by stayinb as close to stock is this: i think the stock steel wheels with a standard tire weighs x lbs and has a diameter of y. well if you pick a 15 -16-or 17 find a tire that keep the weight and diameter as close to x and y as is possibe. apound or two, a couple of centemeters off shouldnt be a big difference. you smell me . hope this helps you make a decision.

Modified by puffed rice at 8:25 PM 7/28/2004
Old 07-29-2004, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Need opinions and advice 94 civic coupe bolt ons (puffed rice)

Well..its been a few days and i've decided on a couple of things...

1. Going with 15 rota slipstreams..imitations but LIGHT 450 shipped on ebay
2. tokico illuminas with ground control slip coilovers not sure how much yet
3. http://www.sohfast.com is helping me piece together a complete tranny from a y8.

4. Going to ATTEMPT to swap it myself..the tranny that is.....not a mechanic by trade, but good with tools ...so hopefully...i cna do it.. =P I've been reading and bookmarking a LOT of threads from before..so it shouldnt be tooooo bad.

I've also sourced some help from forum members..so that 'll be great help too

*crosses fingers*

can anyone suggest a good place to get the illuminas and coilovers? Thanks!

Old 07-29-2004, 02:20 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

I would try to get koni yellows since you will prolly try to drop the car pretty low with those ground controls. They are almost the only shock that you should use after 2 inch drop, it will be a nice ride, shouldn't wear out as quick as tokicos and they have a lifetime warranty.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:20 PM

Default Quick question!

will 92-95 manual trannny parts such as the pedal set, slave and master cylinder be compatible with the car still even though I'm swapping in a y8 tranny? Need to know cuz I'm trying to source parts from ebay and found good deal on 92-95 5 spd parts! thanks for all the help guys!

Mike