Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 civic foglight help

Old 03-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 civic foglight help

hey what is the difference between this:

and this:

is there any difference in lighting or would i have to buy different bulbs or what?
i want the clear ones for my milano red civic, but i dont know if they would even work like the orange colored foglights

help please (:
NO HATE COMMENTS.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 civic foglight help

just get yellow bulbs..they should be h3's and the difference in the pics is that the top one had a really shitty installer and the lower one did a good job
Old 03-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol ahah thanks
but i mean h3 goes into both of the foglights right?

h3 bulbs? so what light should i get for them?
like example: 3k

or whatever.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:52 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rawrjaay
hey what is the difference between this:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2ekrrpc.jpg

and this:
http://i56.tinypic.com/10fchec.jpg

is there any difference in lighting or would i have to buy different bulbs or what?
i want the clear ones for my milano red civic, but i dont know if they would even work like the orange colored foglights

help please (:
NO HATE COMMENTS.
So are you basically asking if the clear foglights have a different beam pattern from the yellow foglights? Or do you have some other question in mind?

Try being a bit more descriptive, please.
Originally Posted by 41184ek9
just get yellow bulbs..they should be h3's and the difference in the pics is that the top one had a really shitty installer and the lower one did a good job
The top ones are installed just fine. What are you talking about?
lol ahah thanks

or whatever.
H3 is the bulb part number for the foglight bulbs. They're small halogen light bulbs with a little cord on them.

"3k" is something you'd see as a description for HID setups. Specifically, the color temperature of the light.

The bulbs you'd get for the foglights would be... any H3 bulbs. if you want yellow ones, get yellow H3s. If you want purple ones, get purple H3s, etc. Just make sure if you're not upgrading the wiring, etc. that you get 55w bulbs. I've heard of some people having issues with 100w bulbs.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thank you NOFX and yes i was wondering
if i get the clear ones
will it not look orange at night?

because i personally think the clear ones look better, but i dont want it to have a disadvantage over the orange ones just because its clear.
is that better???
Old 03-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't really think the color matters that much, more of a preference thing. I have regular white bulbs in mine I think, but they're the yellow glass. They look very yellow when lit. I think yellow bulbs with the clear lenses would yield similar results.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:32 AM
H-T White Ops

ok thank you NOFX and yes i was wondering
if i get the clear ones
will it not look orange at night?

because i personally think the clear ones look better, but i dont want it to have a disadvantage over the orange ones just because its clear.
is that better???
I'm not sure what sort of disadvantage you think you might have with clear over amber.

The yellow glass foglights, when lit, are yellow, not orange. They don't even look orange in the pic you posted and shining light through it would, if anything, make it look lighter or brighter, not a darker color.

We had a set of the yellow lights here for awhile.

I have clear lights with yellow bulbs now and they're still quite yellow when lit.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WiseGeek.com
Fog lights are the lights mounted on the front of a car or truck which help visibility in foggy or misty conditions. They come in a variety of colors and intensities, but virtually all vehicles have them, and their assistance can be crucial to navigating poor weather.

Traditionally fog lights are yellow, and the reason why is the subject of some speculation. A common claim is that they need to be a single color light rather than white light, to minimize dispersion as the light hits the water vapor and scatters in different directions. It is often said that though red might be a more ideal color, it already has connotations to drivers —- it is used for both stop lights and brake lights. Yellow, then, would seem to be the next-most-suitable choice, because it has the next longest wavelength of visible light.

The problem with this idea, which sounds plausible scientifically, has to do with the size of the water molecules in fog. The molecules of water vapor are large enough that dispersion does not occur in any meaningful way, making the wavelength of the light irrelevant. It is possible that the first car companies to utilize fog lights were not aware of the impact that the size of water vapor molecules would have on the dispersion, and so believed that by choosing yellow lights they were minimizing the blur the fog lights cast. More likely is that yellow was chosen because of its connotations in the West with caution. Yellow lights and yellow signs are used to indicate that a driver should slow, look for obstacles, generally use increased levels of caution -- precisely the activities one wants other drivers to exercise when driving in heavy fog.

Many modern fog lights are halogen lights, which allows them to burn at much hotter temperatures than traditional lights, while retaining a low burnout rate. Halogen fog lights tend to have a tighter beam than incandescent fog lights, which yields an additional benefit. A special class of fog lights seen on some newer cars are high-intensity discharge lamps. These lights may use a number of different minerals to operate, including mercury, sodium and halide. These fog lights are often distinguished by a purplish hue, rather than the more traditional yellow color.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry i meant yellow
but ok thanks for answering my question

if i get these clear amber foglights, nothing will change
its just a matter of appearance.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:01 PM
H-T White Ops

I would like to mention that the OE lights and ESUSE lights have a fog light pattern while the DEPO lights have more of a driving light pattern.

ESUSE wire in like OE and are similar enough to OE that I've been able to use parts from one kit to repair OE kits. ESUSE are getting harder to find.

DEPO is the cheaper set with the long red wire included. PW:JDM sells these.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol ahah thanks

or whatever.
just get yellow bulbs..when i said this i meant h3 bulbs as the type of bulb...you can get them in just about any color at pep boys or advanced auto or autozone....they should be 55 watt yellows....as far as them lookin yellow, they will..i just did trd fogs on my buddys celica gts which were actually blue housings with clear lenses to make them look hid and the yellow still over shadows anything else..so as far as color effect..yea the clear lenses with yellow bulbs should yield a similar if not the same color effect