Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need insight on flywheel shaving

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need insight on flywheel shaving

Ok so I've been obsessed with throwing all kinds of honda engines into the several integras and civics that I've owned over the last few years. But now I'm waiting to get my b18b from an importer again.....and I'm wondering in the meantime if anyone has any insight on shaving the flywheel. I've been throwing this idea around for a while and now I have the opportunity but I'm a researcher myself so if anyone has any knowledge I'd appreciate it..maybe how much I should take off or an idea of base weight and any kind of comparison I know I'm not the first person to want to get power for free.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:36 AM

Default Re: need insight on flywheel shaving (92greensleeper)

A lot of my buddies shave their flywheels at a local shop to get 1-2lbs out of it...but mainly just to balance the flywheel out. I'd buy a lighten flywheel if I want a really lighten flywheel.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: need insight on flywheel shaving (Jinako)

with lightened flywheels u gotta rev a little higher to get the car moving, and you lose tq and gain a little hp
Old 01-14-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Re: need insight on flywheel shaving (fmrprojects)

Really I'm leaning towards acceleration by doing this. I'm not worried about revving a couple hundred higher at the line my b series can handle that .......I was kindof hoping to get more of a yes I've done it and this is what I think kind of response maybe some pros and cons.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Re: need insight on flywheel shaving (fmrprojects)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you lose tq and gain a little hp</TD></TR></TABLE>

how do you gain power and lose torque? .. lol

people really need to learn what torque and horsepower is..

Old 01-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need insight on flywheel shaving (gezzuzz)

stickers!

no really. there was a guy in "for sale" that used to do this. looked like the cheapest way to have a harmonic pulley that is lightweight. the ctr(n1) or whatever is not a harmonic pulley(damn, i am tired). try searching. maybe find it. from what i remember, everyone was pleased but only on the butt dyno.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:23 AM

Default Re: need insight on flywheel shaving (nello a.)

If you yourself knew anything about horsepower/torque or had ever studied any type of dyno testing results for any kind of bolt on or power adder you'd know its completely possible to gain horsepower and lose torque becauseif you take weight away from your rotating mass then you naturally lose that much momentum.....IE torque goes down.......but you rev quicker therefore power is achieved quicker which doesn't neccisarily mean more power overall but it does mean more power in the greatly needed midrange area that all hondas lack...please research before you post.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92greensleeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you yourself knew anything about horsepower/torque or had ever studied any type of dyno testing results for any kind of bolt on or power adder you'd know its completely possible to gain horsepower and lose torque becauseif you take weight away from your rotating mass then you naturally lose that much momentum.....IE torque goes down.......but you rev quicker therefore power is achieved quicker which doesn't neccisarily mean more power overall but it does mean more power in the greatly needed midrange area that all hondas lack...please research before you post.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im sorry but that is so funny... i guess the professor with a phd in engineering that taught me how horse power and torque are relative don't know as much as who ever taught you that hp and tq are 2 different things
Old 01-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92greensleeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you yourself knew anything about horsepower/torque or had ever studied any type of dyno testing results for any kind of bolt on or power adder you'd know its completely possible to gain horsepower and lose torque becauseif you take weight away from your rotating mass then you naturally lose that much momentum.....IE torque goes down.......but you rev quicker therefore power is achieved quicker which doesn't neccisarily mean more power overall but it does mean more power in the greatly needed midrange area that all hondas lack...please research before you post.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think there was a single accurate statement in that whole post. Well done.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't shave a stock flywheel to get it lighter, do it to get it balanced or just buy a aftermarket fly wheel. Depending on how much power you have and how much you take off the stock flywheel it could fall apart and destroy your trans case, hood and what ever else is in its path.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need insight on flywheel shaving (fasthatchb18c1)

I turn flywheels all day long and I have done this for a few people. Every time I have gotten thier opinion, they say that it really did do anything. You just can't take enouph off of a stock F/W safely to do much. If you want a lighter f/w, buy a good stainless one, you can sometimes find them around $150. As for turning a bunch a metal off of a stock one, it's not worth the time. (or the risk, for that matter)
Old 01-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to give you an idea, simply take a look an ITR flywheel which has 3lbs less weight then LS/GSR flywheel, it is defintaly a safe point, to shave the flywheel.
IMHO opinion and few shops I have dealt; maximum of 5lbs can easily be shaved off stock B-series flywheel without sacrificing reliability or causing a failure on NA cars.

here are some units I have had previously shaved and balanced by different machine shops:

this one actually scared me I ran the flywheel for about 3 months on my b18c, and gave up on it, simply too fragile. This one is the extreme end of lightening stock unit, 11lbs (7lbs shaved off the GSR flywheel).

Unit I have had lightned by one of the 'more reputable' machine shop, cost quite a bit, but shaved off 5lbs and looked stock and preformed very well.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:41 AM

Default Re: need insight on flywheel shaving (eg6ajk)

Thank you that's exactly the kind of insight I was looking for..................as for the other comments I am new and wasn't aware that half the people that post do it just to talk **** not for useful info like the rest of us............where would we be without shittalkers?????thank you all
Old 01-17-2007, 11:35 AM

Default Re: need insight on flywheel shaving (gezzuzz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gezzuzz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how do you gain power and lose torque? .. lol

people really need to learn what torque and horsepower is..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

he proly means you lose low end torque and gain high end hp
Old 01-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: need insight on flywheel shaving (Morning Call)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Morning Call &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he proly means you lose low end torque and gain high end hp</TD></TR></TABLE>

And he'd be wrong.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Re: need insight on flywheel shaving (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And he'd be wrong. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly...I used Wikipedia to "get my learn on", and Tq and Hp are certainly relative terms. :insert mathematic equation here"
Old 01-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need insight on flywheel shaving (I Shot 50 Cent)

Why bother with all of that when you can buy a good flywheel for 140