Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Information A.S.A.P. on cooling systems for d16y7

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Information A.S.A.P. on cooling systems for d16y7

I have a 2000 4 door civic, w. d16y7 engine.

A major problem came my way today, and I can't find a solution or any information on this. I've never crossed this type of issue before.

Here's the problem.

I have coolant leaking on the driver side, by the alternator, from a small hole. I ended up using a bolt that fitted to seal this hole. The temperature gauge went back to normal and nothing was leaking. Took a drive to Woodstock, which is about 45 minute drive, no problem.. went inside the coffee shop while leaving the car in idle for about 5 minutes, and when I came out I noticed a **** load of coolant under the car and smoke coming out.

I turned off the car and popped the hood to investigate, I noticed coolant was now leaking on the driver side upper lip of the oil pan.. and smoke coming bellow the camshaft gear inside the plastic housing wtf? I took the upper plastic cover off, and noticed the smoke was in the bottom area by the big pulley. Again wtf?

I checked the oil, it's not milky and looks good, recently had an oil change. I checked the thermostat housing and hose, all looks in order no leaks there. I checked the half rad I have and the catch can, no coolant anymore since it all leaked out. The vehicle has a/c as well. No leaks in front that I can see, just in the back by the oil pan. I drove the car home, stoping every 5 miles or so to let the car cool down. Lucky for me today is an extremely cold day, so I got home with no problem, just took close to 2 hours to get home.

The car is outside cooling down, while I'm trying to find a solution on line. I can't afford a mechanic right now, so I need some advice from more experienced members on here. What can it be? I noticed cold air blowing inside the car when it's set on hot. The check engine light came on half way home, and also the fan stopped working, while it was working all of yesterday, because I checked.

I'll keep checking this thread periodically for your replies, I hope it's just a small problem and nothing extravagant that needs to be fixed. I have tools, and a jack. I'm going to lift the car as much as I can to get closer to the area it's leaking from, hopefully get a better view. Your input is highly appreciated.

Last edited by Mr.Civic; 01-14-2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Need Information A.S.A.P. on cooling systems for d16y7

Water pump. A must to replace if you want to keep driving
Old 01-14-2013, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, now can it be more then one thing or is it just the water pump thats creating this problem. I called NAPA here in Brantford, and it's about $80.00 for a new water pump for the d16y7..

If this is the problem, I will try to do the repair tonight. Anything I need to know before I take this task on would be grand.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dirty19
Water pump.
This^

Originally Posted by Mr.Civic
If this is the problem, I will try to do the repair tonight. Anything I need to know before I take this task on would be grand.
The job requires removal of the crank pulley bolt (=difficult) and the timing belt, followed by re-installation of the timing belt with the correct mechanical timing.

How much experience do you have working on cars?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a decent amount of experience myself, and I called a friend that has a friends who is a certified mechanic. He confirmed that it sounds like the water pump needs replacing, and that sometime tomorrow morning he and I could take a closer look at the problem. I looked into what's required to do the job, and as you mentioned it's not as easy as it sounds. The part is within my price range the labour of mechanic is not, but I'm hoping we can come to some kind of arrangement for compensation. It's cold out, and I defiantly need my car right now.. I would like to thank the both of you for your input and professional opinions. Hope you guys are having a better day then I'm.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The link below may help.

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/23...t-96-00-a.html
Old 01-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

go to the auto part store - you need this

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648.../dp/B0000TMLWQ

and a 5' cheater bar. and/or air tools.
It isn't a hard job to do a water pump...once you can get the crank pulley off. Then its smooth sailing
Old 01-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redm3turbo
It isn't a hard job to do a water pump...
One important thing to watch out for - One of the water pump bolts is shorter than the others. When removing the bolts, note its location and re-install in the same location. Otherwise, you make break a long bolt off in the block. Ask how I know.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

^ lol.... I guess I should rephrase myself...a waterpump isn't like doing spark plugs...but the most difficult part is the crank pulley. If you get that off, and can follow a helms...you'll be good to go. The first water pump/ t belt I did I restarted 3-4x b/c the darn bolt. Once I beat the bolt...I was smooth sailing.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by redm3turbo
go to the auto part store - you need this

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648.../dp/B0000TMLWQ

and a 5' cheater bar. and/or air tools.
It isn't a hard job to do a water pump...once you can get the crank pulley off. Then its smooth sailing
This is a must have too to even begin this job!