Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need info on v-tec-e

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need info on v-tec-e

I bought a 97 civic hx its equiped with the d16y5 engine and has the v-tec-e I had a short ram installed but was ******* when shifting into 3rd gear from 2ond I pulled that off and installed a front air intake system from aero speed my second to third shifts are a lot better im not ******* out as much. I dont really know a lot about the engine so any help would be usefull. I want to rebuild the engine for turbo but am afraid to put a hotter cam in the car due to the precision of the valves. I have a reactive hi flow cat and reactive muffler with 2 and a half in. pipe ran to the muff from the cat. generaly i need info on the engine to see if i should waste my time or just swap. thanx
Old 01-14-2003, 01:03 PM

Default Re: need info on v-tec-e (cp_harrington)

If your gonna turbo that motor you should really look into stronger internals (esp. rods) the compression ratio is low enough to not need pistons but if your lookin for alot of power the amount of money you'd need to get it out of THAT motor would be better spent on a B16.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are no aftermaket cams for the HX. They all have to be custom made.....it's a pain in the **** and expensive as hell.

VTEC-E is simple though.....Two lobes in the intake side....ones way bigger than the other......when VTEC kicks on, the two are locked together and follow the bigger one.

Unlike the "standard" VTEC which is 3 lobes and rockers and two valves.....when that VTEC kicks on the valves are locked and follow the larger lobe in the middle.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:59 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's K.I.S.S. VTEC-E stands for VTEC-Enhanced. Essentially, the engine has been modified at the factory already. The VTEC-E is a mixture of basic DX and EX engine parts along with a specially designed proprietary cylinder head with a hot cam and roller rockers. These engines have already been tweaked as far as they will go. You can do NOTHING to improve on the design.

If you'll pardon the pun, the best way to go with a HX is I/H/E (for the look and sound of performance) and an EX tranny swap. Anything else will be futile.

Other than that, you're looking at an engine swap; same as any other CiViC...
Old 01-14-2003, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need info on v-tec-e (BlackDeuceCoupe)

If this is basiclly the same engine that you find in a vx then swaping a y8 head on it will give you great gains, I did this with my old engine and it was a blast till I bent my valves.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:03 PM

Default thanx

I'm looking at droppin a turbo on the car thats why I havent gone with a header yet. I'm pretty new to the import scene but not the race scene however these days were tuning our cars with computers mostly I'm thinking about ading the venom 400 perf. chip and a afc vtec controller which i figure ill need with a turbo what kind of experince do you have on the hx moters are they worth keeping or should I swap? I'm really only wanting to push at a max 250 hp on the ground and mostly just wanna see what i can make my sohc do. as it is im smokin dohc's left and right but I get my *** handed to me plenty of times which is ok thats the love of the sport. I have a friend with a 96 integra gsr and another with an 95 ls they both get me off the line but i catch them in 2ond once i hit third im no good so I figure i need more hp. the ls I can take if i push the car but the gsr well Ive came to know the sight of his tail lights well. like I said im pretty new to all this and I;m just looking to have fun like any other. thanx for your input and anything else you might be able to tell me would be helpfull. thanx again ride out
Old 01-14-2003, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: thanx (cp_harrington)

YOU HAVE THE WRONG ENGINE TO MODIFY. i have a 95 vx with the d15z1 wich is the almost the same engine as yours. first this is the longest lasting engine honda has put on the road and one of the highest rated in the world. they are suppost to get 45 mpg and last forever. mine has 340k miles and still running strong. the ecu on this car is fine tuned. the cat is right sfter the engine and removing it by putting like an ex header will make your engine run ruff and loose horsepower. dont remove from where it is, bad idea. there are 2 vtec's on this ecu, yes 2. one kicks in at 3100 but dont last long and the other i think goes in @5100. again very fined tuned ecu, NOT TO BE ******* AROUND WITH. there are no cams because it was never designed to be a performance head, it only revs to 6800 instead of 7400 like other sohc vtec heads. too much **** too say cant remember all, anyways i'm just saying that you should consider another engine or swap heads with an ex and change ecu. but i personally hate sohc so you'd better off save some dow and go with dohc. putting turbo on an HX motor will make it runn crappy and wont get as much power as the other d series. sorry