Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Helping Passing Smog

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Helping Passing Smog

I need helping passing smog,

I have a B18C1 w/ aem intake and skunk2 IM in a 93 Civic. everything else stock. I don't know exact numbers, because my friend didn't print out a sheet for me. But he did test my car for me, I failed because my NOX was too hight, but he said I did pass the other to..HC and CO? What can I do to help reduce the NOX? Timing is set at 16degrees. I use to throw an o2 code from the ecu, but I got a diff o2 and and the code went away I'm using a stock cat, from a 94 ciivc. What else can I do to help lower my NOX?
Old 11-19-2004, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need Helping Passing Smog (SjCiViCHB)

Are they testing the car as having a 1.8 or a 1.6/1.5? If it is the latter, your limits will be a bit lower. One thing you can do to lower the NOx reading is to test the car before the engine is too hot. I used to work at a dealership, and when the cars we were selling weren't passing for NOx, they told me to let them cool down before I tested them again. This would usually bring the NOx down, but would most often bring the HC up. It depends on how close the numbers were.

Post the limits/readings from the test if you still have them.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Helping Passing Smog (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CycloneBlue_1.6EL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are they testing the car as having a 1.8 or a 1.6/1.5? If it is the latter, your limits will be a bit lower. One thing you can do to lower the NOx reading is to test the car before the engine is too hot. I used to work at a dealership, and when the cars we were selling weren't passing for NOx, they told me to let them cool down before I tested them again. This would usually bring the NOx down, but would most often bring the HC up. It depends on how close the numbers were.

Post the limits/readings from the test if you still have them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the feedback, I really apreciate it. Well, I don't have a printing of the readouts, or the exact readouts, i didnt get a change to write it down. Well I did drive the car for about 20-30 mins....then when i got to the smog shop, i had to wait for my friend to get to the shop to test me. I waited for about 5-10minutes w/ the car off, before I got to tests the car. My friend said I passed HC and CO without a doubt, just my NOX was too high, I just barley failed on the NOX...just a little too much. I think he was testing it as a 1.6 though, i was tested on the DYNO smog. That dyno was so freakin kool too, my car was too low though, my cat was jsut a few mm off the ground on the dyno.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 11-20-2004, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my sister old Jeep Cherokee wasnt passing because of Nox also.. what i was told to do and did was get the cat REALLY hot by driving it hard.. it passed.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

high nox is the result from high compression due to carbon buildup or high combustion chamber temps. my jdm b16 sucked ***. i think there was so much carbon buildup in there that i could never pass smog.... try using some seafoam and that "guarantee to pass" stuff from kragen to clean out carbon desposits in your engine
Old 11-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">high nox is the result from high compression due to carbon buildup or high combustion chamber temps. my jdm b16 sucked ***. i think there was so much carbon buildup in there that i could never pass smog.... try using some seafoam and that "guarantee to pass" stuff from kragen to clean out carbon desposits in your engine</TD></TR></TABLE>

How do I use the seafoam? and can i get that from kragens too? or do i have to go to one of those small auto parts places?
Old 11-21-2004, 01:12 PM

Default Re: (SjCiViCHB)

I don't know if you have to pay for this test, because you said your friend does it for you, but if not... it can't hurt to try this:

Get the car down there and let it completly cool for about 4 hours or more... even leaving it overnight couldn't hurt. When you start it up to do the test, let it warm up just enough for the thermostat to open (feel your rad hoses). From what I'm told, this will heat your cat up just enough, then put it on the dyno. This should bring your NOx down just enough. If this still doesn't bring the numbers down enough, decarbon your engine... then CHECK your plugs.

Hope this helps you a bit.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

That emissions crap has to suck...Good thing my state dont have any. I'd probably fail.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:03 PM

well my dad used to be a smog tech and worked at a smog shop and he said that NOX is only produced under "load" which is what the do when they put your car on the dyno. the dyno puts a load on your car producing NOX..he said that replacing the CAT should slove the problem..just my .02cents tho
Old 11-21-2004, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Helping Passing Smog (94gsrhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94gsrhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well my dad used to be a smog tech and worked at a smog shop and he said that NOX is only produced under "load" which is what the do when they put your car on the dyno. the dyno puts a load on your car producing NOX..he said that replacing the CAT should slove the problem..just my .02cents tho</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, for the input everyone. Ill be sure to get the new things you guys suggested, i already got new plugs. Just need to get the cat, and i guess use that seafoam stuff..?
Old 11-22-2004, 01:12 AM

use that formula from kragen or autozone. it said it will help you bring tho no2 down, i try that before and it does help, maybe you can put 2 cat up