Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need help wit 92 gsr hatch

Old 02-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help wit 92 gsr hatch

im new to this soo sorrie if someone ad already cover this topic..!

ok so i just got done with my turbo setup and i just got my ported n polished head with supertech internals and i put everthing back in and now my car wont start up any more.. it'll turn over but wont start... can someone please help me out..! and asap..!
Old 02-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help wit 92 gsr hatch

Did you double check all the wiring and grounds but more importantly did you properly line up the timing marks? And what is it doing? Like does it sound like it wants to start but doesnt or just spinning fast with no signs of ignition
Old 02-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Eli2
Did you double check all the wiring and grounds
Check the one thats bolted to the thermostat housing held on by the 10mm bolt
Old 02-14-2010, 01:48 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

is the timeing set and try starting it with the dizz at one postion on start then try the oppisote side sometimes it helps
Old 02-14-2010, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by es01civy
Check the one thats bolted to the thermostat housing held on by the 10mm bolt
I assume that means you didnt check the timing? Pull the valve cover, upper timing cover, and dizzy cap and check everything out. Like he stated a good place to start is when the number 1 cyl is on TDC on the compression stroke the dizzy's rotor should be pointing to the number 1 spark plug. Also make sure the cams are lined up with each other and with the crank as well.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can break down common non-starting issues into a few categories.

No Spark:
You can pull one of the plugs out, leave it attached to the plug wire, Pull the fuel pump fuse, then crank the engine and see if your getting a spark. If your not getting a spark its either the ICM fuse, your wiring, your ECU, or a dead ignition coil

No Fire:
Check that you have fuel pressure. If not check that the pump is getting voltage. If it's getting voltage, but you cant hear the pump then check the connections first, if those are good then replace the pump. If you hear the pump but no pressure try replacing the fuel filter. I'm assuming with your turbo setup you got a new fuel pump.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you double check all the wiring and grounds but more importantly did you properly line up the timing marks? And what is it doing? Like does it sound like it wants to start but doesnt or just spinning fast with no signs of ignition
yea i check timin, wire, ground.. the timing my bro n i both checked it and its right on.. and it doesnt wanna start.. just spins wit no sign of ignitions.. so its sounds like it just spinss all the time.. after that we pulled the spark plug with the wire and check for spark and all the spark plugs has spark..
Old 02-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my bro check the intake where its suppose to suck air into the intake mani and very little air went in.. as if it was haveing troble sucking in air..

then we cover the whole hole of the intake while i crank the car.. and he said that there was very very little air was only sucking in.. which means it wasnt sucking in air the way its suppose to be sucking..
Old 02-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mrharmonic
is the timeing set and try starting it with the dizz at one postion on start then try the oppisote side sometimes it helps
i already did that and its just still sounds the same as before.. soo
Old 02-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ8_Man
You can break down common non-starting issues into a few categories.

No Spark:
You can pull one of the plugs out, leave it attached to the plug wire, Pull the fuel pump fuse, then crank the engine and see if your getting a spark. If your not getting a spark its either the ICM fuse, your wiring, your ECU, or a dead ignition coil

No Fire:
Check that you have fuel pressure. If not check that the pump is getting voltage. If it's getting voltage, but you cant hear the pump then check the connections first, if those are good then replace the pump. If you hear the pump but no pressure try replacing the fuel filter. I'm assuming with your turbo setup you got a new fuel pump.
i have a fuel pressure gauge and it does show me that i do have fuel going into the motor and it has spark
Old 02-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is fuel making it into the cylinders? Not sure how you would check that one. Smell for gas with the plugs out? What injectors are you using? Are they working properly?

My other guess would be timing. But even then, it would mis-fire and run like complete ****, but it you would have some form of ignition.

Does the motor have any compression?
Old 02-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the valve lash set? Maybe when they put the motor together, they didn't set the lash, so now when the lobes turn around and push on the rockers, they aren't opening the valves?

You are supposed to set your valve lash after bolting the head on anyway, since the head can flex and stuff when it's tightened down.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is fuel making it into the cylinders? Not sure how you would check that one. Smell for gas with the plugs out? What injectors are you using? Are they working properly?

My other guess would be timing. But even then, it would mis-fire and run like complete ****, but it you would have some form of ignition.

Does the motor have any compression?
first off i had my precision 310 injectors n it wouldnt start so my bro thought that it was cuz of my 310 injectors so i went back n put the stock injectors back on and it still wouldnt start

yea we thought it was the timing too but like wat u said it would of mis-fire or sumthing..

the comperssion i didnt get a chance to start it cuz i dont own one or get a chance to run out n get one.. but if it was the compeprssion can that cuz the car to do that..? i mean it was running fine before i took off the head to port n polished..!
Old 02-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i did forgot to one thing tho.. when i took out my first head it was a 96 (obd2) and i swich the head to one of my buddies that had a 94 (obd1) head.. so that case would i have to change the mani or sumthin else for it to run back to a obd1 or..?
Old 02-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thumper64
Is the valve lash set? Maybe when they put the motor together, they didn't set the lash, so now when the lobes turn around and push on the rockers, they aren't opening the valves?

You are supposed to set your valve lash after bolting the head on anyway, since the head can flex and stuff when it's tightened down.
this i didnt do or dont think my brother did it... can that cuase the car to turn over but not fireing up..?
Old 02-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can check for compression on a cold engine. Yes the numbers will be off from what it would be hot, but you should still have some compression. If you have compression you can assume your valves are opening, and since you have the motor in it will be easier. The compression should be semi-consistent on all cylinders even when the block is cold. The numbers will be low though.

It is very odd that you have spark and fuel in the chambers and no ignition. If you had both in the chambers it would ignite, the car may run like crap but you would get some form of life from the motor.

So if you have spark then there is a problem with your fuel delivery. Are your intake valves opening? If you didn't check your valve lash and don't know if it was done, do it.

If the valve lash is right then are the intake ports free of obstruction? This may sound stupid, but shops will plug the ports with cloth or plastic to keep out foreign particles. Is your head actually breathing or is there something in the way? It's a bitch to do but when all else fails pull the manifold off. Unless you know for sure the ports are free of obstruction. If there was something in there it be fun trying to get it out of the cylinders... I hope this isn't the case

It sounds like you had multiple people help you with this build... Who knows who did what...

Last edited by EJ8_Man; 02-14-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can check for compression on a cold engine. Yes the numbers will be off from what it would be hot, but you should still have some compression. If you have compression you can assume your valves are opening, and since you have the motor in it will be easier. The compression should be semi-consistent on all cylinders even when the block is cold. The numbers will be low though.

It is very odd that you have spark and fuel in the chambers and no ignition. If you had both in the chambers it would ignite, the car may run like crap but you would get some form of life from the motor.

So there is a problem with your fuel delivery. Are your intake valves opening?
If you didn't check your valve lash and don't know if it was done, do it.

If the valve lash is right then are the intake ports free of obstruction? This may sound stupid, but shops will plug the ports with cloth or plastic to keep out foreign particles. Is your head actually breathing or is there something in the way? It's a bitch to do but when all else fails pull the manifold off. Unless you know for sure the ports are free of obstruction. If there was something in there it be fun trying to get it out of the cylinders... I hope this isn't the case

It sounds like you had multiple people help you with this build... Who knows who did what...
ill check the compression later.. becuase my brother is not home and he has it at hes place.. soo for now i guess i check up on the valves to see if its opening or not..! ill get back to u on this later.. thanks.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 19_HaTcH_92
i did forgot to one thing tho.. when i took out my first head it was a 96 (obd2) and i swich the head to one of my buddies that had a 94 (obd1) head.. so that case would i have to change the mani or sumthin else for it to run back to a obd1 or..?
No you'll be fine on that part unless you used a different dizzy lol.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 19_HaTcH_92
yea we thought it was the timing too but like wat u said it would of mis-fire or sumthing..
Not necessarily if the timing between the cams and crank is off quite a it then it wont crank as well.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So if you have spark then there is a problem with your fuel delivery. Are your intake valves opening? If you didn't check your valve lash and don't know if it was done, do it.

ok so i just got done check on the valve to see if it opens up.. and it does.. all of them open up how they r suppose to open up..! soo idk wat to do anymore.. can i get more please..
Old 02-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not necessarily if the timing between the cams and crank is off quite a it then it wont crank as well.
the timing is dead on.. is there any other possiable way for it to wont fire up..? at lease it'll mis-fire so i know that its just sumthing simple.. but nothin.. all it does is just keeps spinnin
Old 02-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No you'll be fine on that part unless you used a different dizzy lol.
well it couldnt be the dizzy cuz i could get spark from the spark plugs
Old 02-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

need more please.. anyone..? idk wat to do anymore..
Old 02-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you in the LA area? I could come by tomorrow and have a look if its not too far.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you in the LA area? I could come by tomorrow and have a look if its not too far.
nope WI

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need help wit 92 gsr hatch