Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Did I blow the engine? Clogged PCV, now CEL

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I blow the engine? Clogged PCV, now CEL

1998 EJ8-2 d16y8 120k miles 5spd

Ive noticed my car had about 0 power below 5k rpms lately, and I drove about 300 miles (city) two nights ago. The idle fluctuates from 1-2k after I let off teh throttle or come to a stop light (looped TB/IACV coolant lines) I was checking out stuff yesterday morning and noticed my PCV valve (2 weeks old) was 100% clogged. Couldnt blow through it if I tried.

Changed that and drove about 20 miles and then suddenly my throttle goes to 0 responsiveness, and I get a cell. I can barely move the car to the side of the road. The engine suddenly is like running on 1 cylinder (seems like it is) and idling at 1200 rpms constant and sputtering like an old lawnmower.

I panic and clear the ECU, everything is then suddenly perfect again, for another 30 miles and it happens again (middle of intersection).

I could not grab the codes, but here is the only thing ive changed since this has happened.

-New PCV valve
-Changed from CAI to SRI (cut pipe, but maybe .01% metal shavings could have remained inside pipe after cleaning with simple green)

Could this symtom be caused by a stuck IACV and more air due to the working PCV valve? The car drives fine when there is no CEL, just idles high at a stop light. But when I get a cel, its like the car is done for.

Oil is all over my engine bay too after driving 300 miles with a clogged PCV valve, maybe I blew something? thanks H-T
Old 03-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no. IAC problems ONLY happen at idle.

you should probably try and find out what the CEL is... Do you have a maf or a map sensor?

I don't have much experiance fixing Honda's yet... I just did a bimmer last week that had a couple of the same symptoms you are describing and it had a falty maf. It wasn't seeing voltage above certian rpms and it would cut fuel because it would think there was no air.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea but could the added air from the functuning PCV valve cause a Lean condition, and throw the ECU into limp mode? this case it feels like physically disabled mode.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know if it would throw it into limp mode.

The short term fuel trims would go thru the roof before it would throw it into limp mode.. unless for some reason it's not seeing that it's lean and you're not getting any fuel.

I thought you said your pcv was clogged?
Old 03-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: (bigsyke)

As mentioned above, pull the CEL code(s) as soon as possible. This information is key to figuring out the problem.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1901557
Old 03-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ not always..

I just did an O2 sensor today on a Stratus. ECU had no clue something was wrong with it, while the voltage out of the sensor was pegged.

Not saying your problem is an O2 senor, but you don't NEED a code. what someone really needs is to be able to see the car inperson. this online fixing really does no good for a technician (myself)
Old 03-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kuchtaboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kuchtaboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^ not always..

I just did an O2 sensor today on a Stratus. ECU had no clue something was wrong with it, while the voltage out of the sensor was pegged.

Not saying your problem is an O2 senor, but you don't NEED a code. what someone really needs is to be able to see the car inperson. this online fixing really does no good for a technician (myself)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dodge ECU's are a whole different kind of retarded Animal from GM/Ford/Import ECU's
Old 03-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PCV WAS clogged, i replaced it with a new one, thats when teh problems started.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know, dumb question, but did you put it in backwards? lol

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dasfinc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dodge ECU's are a whole different kind of retarded Animal from GM/Ford/Import ECU's </TD></TR></TABLE>

I know they're different, but I'm just saying the car doesn't have to throw a code because something is wrong with it. If you read my other post about the Bimmer and the MAF that didn't throw a code either unless you were at 5500 rpm, and ONLY then did it even blink the CEL.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kuchtaboy)

The point is that, while the CEL is not the "end all and be all" of engine troubleshooting, you should not ignore the CEL as it generally gives important insights into a problem.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have no way to check the code since i was in a hurry, no paperclip, couldnt drive the car untill the ECU was reset (so no way to drive to get a paperclip) and it was like 5*f outside.

Could a dirty IACV cause this? doesnt explain the CEL though, and the sounding of destruction in the engine once the CEL lights up.

Its almost like a vac leak
Old 03-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The idle and loss of power problems may have separate causes. While the idle problem might possibly be IACV related, the other is likely unrelated.

In my opinion, deal first with the most serious issue -- the CEL-related loss of power. So when the first chance arises, pull that CEL code.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh and after resetting the ECU the idle is perfect at 750rpms, untill I start driving.

It seems the more devices I have running such as headlights/fogs/cdplayer the higher my idle.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigsyke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh and after resetting the ECU the idle is perfect at 750rpms, untill I start driving. It seems the more devices I have running such as headlights/fogs/cdplayer the higher my idle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is normal. The ECU responds to increased electrical load by increasing the idle speed.