Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need help w/ power doors...noobi here

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help w/ power doors...noobi here

i got some si doors to put on my ek hatch, want to know how to run the wires and stuff like that...and will it work ?..car is sitting in the shop need some help asap so i can wire it all and get the car painted..thanks
Old 01-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't even think about trying to wire it all in custom. I've done this conversion on a 98 and an 00 hatch. Here's the steps.

1. Get the FLOOR HARNESS from an EX coupe of same vintage as yours (96-98 or 99-00) and same transmission type. If you got complete doors the harness should be in them already, if not go get those too.
2. If you are replacing the whole doors, take them off. Then remove ALL seats, the shifter console, door sill trim, the kick panels, and driver side rear trim panel.
3. Unless you want to cut/splice the entire back half of the harness, take off the big cross-car brace. Loosen the fuse panel so you can get to the back of it. Then unplug and remove the entire floor harness, lay it out next to your new EX one.
4. Since you have a DX with rear wiper, you need to pull 3 wires from your stock one and transfer them over to the EX harness. Strip off the tape and conduit from your stock one from the rear lamp harness connector all the way to the fuse box, examine the rear connector to identify the 3 wires (I think they are all some shade of green), unlock and remove them with terminals intact so you can insert them into the EX connectors. Do one end at a time so you don't forget what goes where.
5. Install your newly modified harness, putting everything back where it belongs. Getting the door connectors run into the jambs is the hardest part. Reinstall your interior. Bolt your doors on, plug them in. Might take a bit to align your doors properly.
6. Install your power mirror switch in the dash panel, connect that. You need a 4-pin accessory relay ($5-$6) from the dealer for power windows to work, there's an empty spot on front of the fuse panel for it.

It seems kind of involved but not as hard as it sounds, you can do it all in a day and it is TOTALLY worth it! Probably my favorite mod on my hatch.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (klungemonger)

what if the harness on the si doors are cut ? do i have 2 rerun and match up the wires ?
Old 01-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Go get some from a salvage yard or buy them someplace. This is a job where you don't want to do it like a hack. Without the proper connector and stuff you could get leaks, in the door you get water and stuff and the splices will degrade, you don't want to mess with that later on. Plus, if you value your time and the use of your vehicle it will save you many hours. Do it any way you like, the time and money are yours to spend as you like, but I don't recommend any other way.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

would it make any difference if my hatch was a cx model ?..some other guy told me that i would need to buy the whole fuse box and both of the harnesses since they are cut, and yeah i aint tryna do it the hack way, thanks for the advice
Old 01-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Basically the procedure is exactly the same as a DX except you don't have to do the step for the rear wiper wiring. Just install the EX harness and button it up.
You do not need to replace your fuse box. But if your harnesses are all cut and missing plugs, I would consider them junk and replace them. The door harnesses (especially the passenger side) should be kind of cheap and are easy to install. When you get into the job you will see the connection in the door jamb between the floor harness & the door harnesses it's important that they be done just right to be weatherproof.
You do not need to replace the fuse box.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so my fuse box right now should be plug and play right ? dont need to switch it out for another one ?..by the way i appreciate it that you taking the time to explain this stuff to me, so dont mind all the crazy questions aight
Old 01-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Right, there will be no need to change your fuse box, you just need to add the relay to it.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does this rule apply to eg too?
Old 02-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (layziebumm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by layziebumm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does this rule apply to eg too? </TD></TR></TABLE> Can't say for certain as I've only done it on 96-00 models, but in principle I would say it probably is a very similar procedure. Go to an online OE parts site and check out parts lists/diagrams to see what's different between body/electrical components.