Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Help Swapping Complete Y8 to 99 EJ Hatch *VERY DETAILED STORY*

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Swapping Complete Y8 to 99 EJ Hatch *VERY DETAILED STORY*

Salud fellow Honda owners.

I havent posted here for Years and come to find out my accound was reset to newb again.

I've been running into car problems latley. I havent been in to my honda for the last few years thanks to my 3G Eclipse thats been keeping me busy. Well a few months ago I crashed my Clipse and had to go back to my old love which is a 99 EJ DAP Hatch with a stock DX.

Well I've been driving this this car everyday and had no problems whatso-ever until 2 weekends ago. I decided to do an oil change to it. bought some 5-30 Castrol Conventional oil and a Frahm Filter. everything was fine until i drove it some 50 miles from Riverside to L.A. and back.

On the way back i started to notice a very vibrant exhaust leak sound. Didnt mind to much due to it being early in the A.M. and being very sleepy. So a couple hours later around 7:00 in the morning I drove to work and about half way my car starts to lose power and starts turning itself off. So i pull over to the side and the expansion tank is bubbling coolant like the Niagra falls! So i get it towed over to our Garage and take off all the belts and hear this god awful Ticking noise from the head.

I come to a quick conclusion that either a rod or main slipped, or a couple valves may be Bent. So being very tired of the Y7 I want to spend whatever pennies I have conjured up on a Y8.

I get prices Ranging from $750-$1,000 just for the Y8 Long Block and think Jeezus thats worth more than my car already. So Kinda gave up on the whole VTEC dream until my brother got a call from his friend saying she wrecked her 98 EX Coupe.

Went to go take a look at the car and the whole front end was smashed in. Bumper, hood, headlights, fenders, front upper and lower frame braces, radiator, radiator fan assembly nd a/c fan assembly all gone! There is a Mercury insurance group sticker on the inside windshield that deemed the motor and transmission damaged. Also the Motor mounts are slightly torn off which is why the Insurance group deemed it damaged.

So I take a good look at the motor as best as I can with all the damaged body parts in the way and decide to ask the owner how much she wants for the car. As a ray of light broke thru the clouds in the sky right into the very spot that we were talking on. She said $500 for everything. I gave her the money faster than honda noob could spell V-teck. got it towed to my house.. Tore off all the damaged parts, and the whole motor was clean and intact. She had just rebuilt the complete motor around a month ago and it was beautiful.

So this is where I need alot of assistance and guidance. I've done some research as far as Mini-me swaps and y7 to y8 swaps are concerned. But there's still some information i was not able to obtain. To do a complete swap of motors what else do I need besides the ECU? Is it just easier to swap the whole harness all together?

Here's a pic of the Motor

Quick Recap of info. I have a 99 EJ Y7 Hatch and im transferring all the necessary parts from a 98 EM Y8 Coupe.

Any and all info is helpful. Constructive Critisizm is best. Thank you for your time!

Last edited by civic_chaser; 05-27-2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: adding pictures
Old 05-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need Help Swapping Complete Y8 to 99 EJ Hatch *VERY DETAILED STORY*

Originally Posted by civic_chaser
So this is where I need alot of assistance and guidance. I've done some research as far as Mini-me swaps and y7 to y8 swaps are concerned. But there's still some information i was not able to obtain. To do a complete swap of motors what else do I need besides the ECU? Is it just easier to swap the whole harness all together?

Quick Recap of info. I have a 99 EJ Y7 Hatch and im transferring all the necessary parts from a 98 EM Y8 Coupe.

Any and all info is helpful. Constructive Critisizm is best. Thank you for your time!
This is gold right here, for all the swaps that I have read about including the B series that I have done on my EJ this is the way to go. Also I'm assuming you have the power doors and factory power lock actuators you might want to look into that conversion as well. I love my power doors.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need Help Swapping Complete Y8 to 99 EJ Hatch *VERY DETAILED STORY*

So pretty much swap the whole harness from one car to another to avoid any electrical or CEL problems?