Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help with (Replace all 5 tranny roller bearings or buy a used tranny)???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with (Replace all 5 tranny roller bearings or buy a used tranny)???

If anybody could help me out, I can get all five roller bearings at my cost for about 118.00 or so. I have performed two engine swaps by myself. But I have never been into a transmission before. I can use the manual at work as well. I was wondering if it is just better for me to buy a used transmission for @200-350.00
The transmission I have has no synchro damage at all and has @136,000 miles on it. What do you guys think. I almost want to do it just to learn to do it if you know what I mean. Thanks in advance guys.
To Do or Not to Do...that is the question.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:30 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Need help with (Replace all 5 tranny roller bearings or buy a used tranny)??? (GreenBean)

what is wrong with the tranny to warrant replacing 5 of the 7 bearings?
Old 10-14-2003, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help with (Mista Bone)

It has a lot of whine and now it is popping out of second gear on its own.
It is esp loud when letting of the gas and the engine is braking the vehicle.
its almost like being in reverse while letting of the gas in first or second, hell third and fourth also.
One of my shop foreman told me to take it out and open it up and replace the 5-toller bearings. It doesn't look hard. he stated if I go by the book I'll be fine.
And I can borrow any gear pullers or drivers I need.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need help with (Replace all 5 tranny roller bearings or buy a used tranny)??? (GreenBean)

tranny work is your next step BIGBOY!

go for it, armed with a HELMS manual you can install anything bro, I did a LSD install, then a Final drive and gearshaft swap, its nothing after the initial 5 minutes of oogling at all the hundreds of parts crammed inside aaa tranny once you open it.
no big deal, just do it.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:54 PM
New User

If the bearings are that worn its a good bet that the synchros are crap as well. If you're contemplating going in there anyway you might as well spend a few more bucks and get those also. The rebuild isn't as mystifying as you might think. You will have to take the shaft assemblys to a machine shop to have the synchros pressed off and new ones pressed on (assuming you do that) but that work shouldn't cost too much. 90% of the labor is in removing, taking appart, re-assembling, and re-installing the trans. Each of those things you can do yourself.

I've installed a few LSD's and the first one I ever did, in my 97 GSR trans, i screwed up the mainshaft end bearing by putting it in backwards and thus, had to take the whole thing appart again to replace that bearing and the 5th gear synchro. 30K miles later and it's still going strong. If I can figure it out, it can't be all that difficult. Just get the Helms for that model, have a clean, well lit workspace, and take your time and you will be fine.

Mike
Old 10-14-2003, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help with (owen_the_soyboy)

Thans the cool part, I have the dealer shop and any tools I could even image needing at my disposal.
I guess I'll be going into it
Old 10-15-2003, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need help with (GreenBean)

yea do it,, take lots of pictures and let us know what you find if anything...