Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need help quick... what's goin on with this thing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help quick... what's goin on with this thing?

So i stopped at my mother-in-law's place today, and as I was trying to get turned around in her driveway, I basically dragged my car, thought possibly i'd hit my oil pan, stopped IMMEDIATELY, backed up, changed direction and I was on my way. Told my wife i'd check things out at home after I dropped her off at work to make sure everything was okay.

Well I get home, and see sort of grease in my drivers side fenderwell, and upon further inspection, find this!?? There's thing grease leaking all over the place from that wierd lookin connection. That for sure isn't normal right?? What is that? lol... I'm very new to the car world so I need whatever help I can get. Should I not drive this thing at all looking like that? Is that my axle popping out? Help!

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

And that's the other side...
Old 08-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help quick... what's goin on with this thing? (nonvtec92)

Well, Your two front inner cv boot axles riped open. Just buy two new front axles with the new cv boots or replace both the inner cv boots. Id rather replace the whole front axles.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help quick... what's goin on with this thing? (racer22)

I just bought the car... and this is my 2nd car ever, and i'm just getting into this sorta thing. Forgive me if my questions are stupid.

BOTH my cv boots are torn? Is it very bad to drive it as it is? Can i still drive it or would I be retarded to do that? What can/will happen? What exactly does a cv joint do? The boot covers the cv and keeps it greased correct? What is the cv joint connected too?

Thanks... :D
Old 08-05-2006, 02:56 PM

Default Re: need help quick... what's goin on with this thing? (nonvtec92)

yes that is ur axel... if u cant seal the rubber back to where it is post to be, u will need to get a new one. if durt and all other sorts get in there, it will mess up the joint very badly
Old 08-05-2006, 02:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I drove arond like that for a long long time...
if they just tore not too much to worry about

its bad once u start to hear clicking while u turn

just replace em when ur ready to shell out the dough

i think autozone sell some with lifetime warranty
Old 08-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can drive it like that until the ar wont move and then replace the axles. or, you can replace both boots(too much work to not replace the axles) oops-a split infinitive-my 10th grade english teacher would be upset.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: need help quick... what's goin on with this thing? (JdmLub)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JdmLub &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes that is ur axel... if u cant seal the rubber back to where it is post to be, u will need to get a new one. if durt and all other sorts get in there, it will mess up the joint very badly</TD></TR></TABLE>

Grammer und speil chick &gt; you.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by racer22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Id rather replace the whole front axles. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You might as well, with everything apart to replace the boots, to go ahead and replace the axle. It looks like, by the amount and condition of the grease that has been lost, that its been like that for a while. Go ahead and replace the axles.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtec92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BOTH my cv boots are torn? Is it very bad to drive it as it is? Can i still drive it or would I be retarded to do that? What can/will happen? What exactly does a cv joint do? The boot covers the cv and keeps it greased correct? What is the cv joint connected too?</TD></TR></TABLE>

1: Yes, the outer on both sides. Look at the inside part of the shaft as well to see if those are torn.
2. Yes. The quicker you replace the CV shafts, the less you have to worry about one snapping on you and leaving you stranded.
3. Retarded.
4. Long enough like they are: They will snap, disabling your car, and leaving you with a repair AND tow bill.
5. It is what transmits motion from the transmission to the wheels. On a Rear wheel drive car, its the same thing. Its called an axle. A CV on your car is the general same as you would find on pretty much any FWD.
6. The boot keeps the CV (constant velocity) joint greased, and dirt and other garbage out.
7. There are 2 places a CV shaft connects to. The transaxle (inner joint), and the wheel hub (outer joint).

Hope that helps out a little.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help quick... what's goin on with this thing? (Red_EM2)

there is a step-by-step guide for replacing theese i have no idea how many times i've done it, its so easy
Old 08-05-2006, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help quick... what's goin on with this thing? (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

It is, heres the BASIC steps:

1. Remove wheel.
2. Remove CV axle nut.
3. Drop lower Ball Joint.
4. Pull splined end of CV shaft out of the hub.
5. pull the other end of the CV out of the transaxle.
6. Replace it with the new axle.
7. Push the hub over the hub end of the CV.
8. Return lower ball joint.
9. Replace castleated axle nut and torque to specs
10. Replace wheel and tire.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Banned

or:

make sure you have jackstands, a heavy hammer, a floor jack, an oil pan, an impact wrench, a 32mm socket that fits your impact wrench, 17mm socket that fits your impact wrench, a 3/8's ratchet, 2 new axles(take your old ones to autozone after you get them out and exchange them for ones with a lifetime warranty and pay the difference)3 quarts of 5w30 oil for the transmission, a short crow bar or other type of bar that you can pry the axles out of the tranny with and of course, a 12 pack of ice cold beer.

1.break the lugnuts and axle nuts loose, jack the car up, i usually jack it up on the cross member directly behind the bumper.

2. once its high enough, place jackstands under the car directly behind the front wheels.

3.move the jack out of the way, slide under the car and look for the drain plug on the passanger side of the transmission, itll be fairly close to the bottom of it. place an oil pan underneath it and break it loose and drain the tranny. put the plug back in and tighten it back up. use your rathet for this.

4.take the wheels off and look behind the rotor, on each side of the car there are 2 nuts with cotter pins through them, use a pair of dykes to slide the cotter pins out closed end first. use your impact wrench with the 17mm socket to take these nuts off.

5.smack the flat area of metal directly below the ball joints with your hammer until the ball joints pop loose.

6.when youve got the ball joints seperated, pull the rotor toward you and gently tap the axle out of it.

7. take your impact wrench and 17mm socket and take the nut off the bollt that holds your strut(shock) to the lower control arm. you have to hammer the bolt out so you can move that to the side and remove the axle.

8. after both sides are done, slide back under the car and pry the axles out of the transmission.

everything else is just a reverse process of what ive explained. fill your transmission through the vss sensor located on the passanger side of the transmission toward, on the top, close to the firewall. 2 10mm bolts hold it in, use a funnel with a long flexible hose. make sure you place a crease in the axle nuts in the groove of the axle after youve tightened them to prevent them from coming off. which is rare.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: need help quick... what's goin on with this thing? (racer22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by racer22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, Your two front inner cv boot axles riped open. Just buy two new front axles with the new cv boots or replace both the inner cv boots. Id rather replace the whole front axles. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Those are the outer joints in the pictures.