Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need help with power steering problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with power steering problem.

95 dx hatch with power steering. I changed my dryer on my a/c, so i had to empty the ps reserve tank and remove it to gain access to the dryer. I removed the two lines next to the fender and left the line connect to the bottom of the tank attached and simply layed the tank out of the way while i replaced the dryer. I reattached the lines and refilled the reserve the the same fluild which was stored in clean container. started car and turned the steering wheel a few time back and forth to get any air out of the system and topped off the tank with an ounce or two of new fluid which is made for honda systems.
problem, now when the car is cold if i start the car and turn the wheel i hear a loud pop. if the car is turned off for awhile and has cooled off a little i hear a slight pop. this happens only at start up. when i drive the car and make a turn or change lanes, the steering wheel will jerk towards the direction you are turning once you have turned the steering wheel past a certain degree.
everything under the hood looks fine. i jacked up the car and checked out everything from underneath. no leaks or anything binding. any ideas?
Old 10-15-2004, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: need help with power steering problem. (Spins)

You still have air in the system - get the front tires off of the ground use jackstands and turn hard left to hard right SLOWLY to allow the air to work its way through the PS system.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:20 PM

Default Re: need help with power steering problem. (93CivicSI)

I talked to a honda mechanic. Who said I may have contaminated the P/S fluid. He recommended flushing the system and adding new fluid. I placed the car on jackstands and drained the system, blew through the lines, reinstalled everything and filled with new fluid.I worked the rack back an forth getting all the air out. The system required about a quart of fluid. So I guess I replaced most of the old stuff. Car seems to be fine know. I encountered a few slight jerks for a day or two but everythings back to normal. It seems honda P/S systems are kind of sensitive. I've replaced racks and lines before on other makes of cars with no problems like this. thanks for the reply.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:18 AM

Default Re: need help with power steering problem. (Spins)

I had the car parked for 2 full days. I drove the car tonight. As soon as I attempted to turn the wheel it was like I had super powerful power steering. It would jert while turning just sitting still. I drove the car out of my condo's grounds making a few turns. Now it working fine. Drove normal all the way to work. Do you think it still has air in the lines? I havn't got a chance to check it out yet. This thing is starting to **** me off.