Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help> is it possible to use DX engine harness into HX car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help> is it possible to use DX engine harness into HX car?

Can someone tell me that have done this before if it's possible to use a 96 DX wire harness into 96 HX vehicle? it's a manual. The reason I'm going this route is because I have problems w/ converting the 7 wires from HX in a 4 wires like DX's or EX's. If someone can help me out, I really appreciate it much. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Need help> is it possible to use DX engine harness into HX car? (boostedb20vtec)

Bump for you man! Cause I'd also like to know for future reference.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help> is it possible to use DX engine harness into HX car? (Civic4less)

thanks for the bump. anyone?
Old 11-27-2004, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Need help> is it possible to use DX engine harness into HX car? (boostedb20vtec)

What do you mean converting 7 wires to 4 wires exactly?

Provided you run the right wires your using i suppose you could use a DX harness.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help> is it possible to use DX engine harness into HX car? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What do you mean converting 7 wires to 4 wires exactly?

Provided you run the right wires your using i suppose you could use a DX harness. </TD></TR></TABLE>
well, if you look at the 96 HX wire harness, it has if i'm not mistaken have 7 wires for the 02 sensor " wideband primary sensor" and for the rest of the civic model, have 4 wires. I've tried splicing and connecting the HX wires into the 4 wires and have check engine light code 41. I think its primary o2 heater.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:49 PM

tell you the best thing to fix your honda sell it and buy a RX7. piston motors suck!!!!
Old 11-27-2004, 08:45 PM

Default Re: (tworotor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tworotor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tell you the best thing to fix your honda sell it and buy a RX7. piston motors suck!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are retarded^. I am a little confused with your situation though, I am assuming your swapping the motor? If you want to make life easier use an ex harness instead of the dx it has the iacv wired in the right way the vtec wires are all run for you and the o2's will just clip right in. The dx harness will work too though.. elaborate on what you are actually doing and we can help you out better.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95excoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95excoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You are retarded^. I am a little confused with your situation though, I am assuming your swapping the motor? If you want to make life easier use an ex harness instead of the dx it has the iacv wired in the right way the vtec wires are all run for you and the o2's will just clip right in. The dx harness will work too though.. elaborate on what you are actually doing and we can help you out better.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes, I am swapping a CRVtec allmotor setup into the 96 HX coupe and the reason I'd like to use the DX wires because it a lot cheaper than the EX wires brand new from honda. how hard is it to convert the IACV? thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (boostedb20vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tworotor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tell you the best thing to fix your honda sell it and buy a RX7. piston motors suck!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

what an idiot... i'm glad your 5 post for the day are over. Dude i'm also in the same situation as you... except i'm not swapping in the same motor as you. Damn I wish someone out there had the answer.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Civic4less)

Bump, I need some info on this please. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedb20vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Yes, I am swapping a CRVtec allmotor setup into the 96 HX coupe and the reason I'd like to use the DX wires because it a lot cheaper than the EX wires brand new from honda. how hard is it to convert the IACV? thanks for the help guys.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is really easy you just have to switch the pins around what ecu are you going to use?
Old 11-29-2004, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95excoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It is really easy you just have to switch the pins around what ecu are you going to use?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm going to use a P72 OBD1 w/ the conversion harness.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:58 PM

For the IACV you will need the 2-wire clip obviously and the hot wire will have to end up at a9 on the obd1 p72 ecu the other wire has to go to a ground source. Just use existing wire from the old 3 wire plug and switch it around at the ecu side of the plug. The vtec soleniod has to end up at a4 and the pressure switch for the vtec is d6. knock is d3 and if your using secondaries they go to a17. Make sure to check for continuity with a meter at the side thats going into the ecu AFTER the conversion harness with all the added wires. Hope this helped you out

Old 11-30-2004, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95excoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For the IACV you will need the 2-wire clip obviously and the hot wire will have to end up at a9 on the obd1 p72 ecu the other wire has to go to a ground source. Just use existing wire from the old 3 wire plug and switch it around at the ecu side of the plug. The vtec soleniod has to end up at a4 and the pressure switch for the vtec is d6. knock is d3 and if your using secondaries they go to a17. Make sure to check for continuity with a meter at the side thats going into the ecu AFTER the conversion harness with all the added wires. Hope this helped you out

</TD></TR></TABLE>
That is the most informative respond I got that I need. So, The dx or lx wire harness should be able to go th hx car correct? thanks.
Vic
Old 11-30-2004, 10:41 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedb20vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
That is the most informative respond I got that I need. So, The dx or lx wire harness should be able to go th hx car correct? thanks.
Vic</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, on the EK chasis the wiring harness is 1 piece so it goes straight from the motor into the cabin and clips in the ecu.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can use any 96-98 civic wiring harness, as a matter of fact only 96-98 harnesses will work. Is your B20/VTEC using a GSR intake manifold? If not then I don't recommend using a P72 ecu. It requires a knock sensor and secondary intake runner solenoid wiring.

I know the EX harness is a bit more money, but for ease of installation it's great. Just lengthen a few branches and add the IAB wiring if necessary and you're all set, except the secondary O2 sensor will be missing but if you are OBD1 that's nothing to be concerned about.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (klungemonger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by klungemonger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can use any 96-98 civic wiring harness, as a matter of fact only 96-98 harnesses will work. Is your B20/VTEC using a GSR intake manifold? If not then I don't recommend using a P72 ecu. It requires a knock sensor and secondary intake runner solenoid wiring.

I know the EX harness is a bit more money, but for ease of installation it's great. Just lengthen a few branches and add the IAB wiring if necessary and you're all set, except the secondary O2 sensor will be missing but if you are OBD1 that's nothing to be concerned about.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm using the ITR intake manifold. It should be ok to use the p72 if I'm going hondata right? By the way, I ordered the 96 DX wire harness already and it should be here this week. How hard is it to convert the 3 wire off the iacv to 2 wire? Thanks again for you guys that help out.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:45 AM

I'm using the ITR intake manifold. It should be ok to use the p72 if I'm going hondata right? By the way, I ordered the 96 DX wire harness already and it should be here this week. How hard is it to convert the 3 wire off the iacv to 2 wire? Thanks again for you guys that help out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you were buying a harness?? I thought you were just making due with what you had you should have just gotten the ex harness, the vtec plugs and the iacv would be ran already for you. Just use what I told you above and itll be easy. But your gonna need the clips hopefully your motor has an old wire harness on it.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm using the ITR intake manifold. It should be ok to use the p72 if I'm going hondata right? By the way, I ordered the 96 DX wire harness already and it should be here this week. How hard is it to convert the 3 wire off the iacv to 2 wire? Thanks again for you guys that help out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, conversion is easy. Get a nice cheap OBD1 conversion harness from Boomslang and you actually won't have to even switch the wires at the ecu for the IACV,they put a jumper in the conversion that takes care of that. Hooray for them!

BUT...you still need to pull the round 2-wire IACV connector off your HX harness and change out the 3-wire one on the DX, along with the VTEC plugs and wires
Old 12-01-2004, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you were buying a harness?? I thought you were just making due with what you had you should have just gotten the ex harness, the vtec plugs and the iacv would be ran already for you. Just use what I told you above and itll be easy. But your gonna need the clips hopefully your motor has an old wire harness on it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
The EX harness is retail at $598.70 and the DX is $228.89 to be exact. Big difference. I can modify the DX one to make it work. The problem the the HX harness is the 7 wire 02 sensor. I had troubled figuring how to convert it to 4 wires like other model civic 96-98.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by klungemonger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, conversion is easy. Get a nice cheap OBD1 conversion harness from Boomslang and you actually won't have to even switch the wires at the ecu for the IACV,they put a jumper in the conversion that takes care of that. Hooray for them!

BUT...you still need to pull the round 2-wire IACV connector off your HX harness and change out the 3-wire one on the DX, along with the VTEC plugs and wires</TD></TR></TABLE>
how did you convert your DX 3 wire IACV to 2 wire? thanks again my friend.
Vic
Old 12-02-2004, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The EX harness is retail at $598.70 and the DX is $228.89 to be exact. Big difference. I can modify the DX one to make it work. The problem the the HX harness is the 7 wire 02 sensor. I had troubled figuring how to convert it to 4 wires like other model civic 96-98.
how did you convert your DX 3 wire IACV to 2 wire? thanks again my friend.
Vic</TD></TR></TABLE>

Holy crap! Don't buy a harness from a dealer!!! You can get DX engine harnesses off Ebay for like $40-$60!!! That might be worth it for you to save you the headache of rewiring the whole HX harness. Like I said just take the connectors you need off the HX harness to modify the DX. Here is a link to the page with instructions to modify for the IACV, also shows you what pinouts to put the VTEC wiring, IAB, knock, etc into.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing....DE%3D

You can IM me if you want to know what exactly I did, I used a DX harness on a 98 hatch with a B16, it worked good.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (klungemonger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by klungemonger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Holy crap! Don't buy a harness from a dealer!!! You can get DX engine harnesses off Ebay for like $40-$60!!! That might be worth it for you to save you the headache of rewiring the whole HX harness. Like I said just take the connectors you need off the HX harness to modify the DX. Here is a link to the page with instructions to modify for the IACV, also shows you what pinouts to put the VTEC wiring, IAB, knock, etc into.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing....DE%3D

You can IM me if you want to know what exactly I did, I used a DX harness on a 98 hatch with a B16, it worked good.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ok, cool. I'll get back w/ you on this one. Thank you guys that helped out.
Vic