Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need help/opinion, car keeps dieing. (story)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help/opinion, car keeps dieing. (story)

Ok so this chick im seeing was in a little front end accident with her 2000 civic dx (auto). To get the car moving, it required new/used parts, I chose used. I replaced the tranny, radiator, and 1 front lower control arm. The air bags are blown due to impact and the cluster is a little funky now, the (D) keeps blinking even when it's on park. I thought that little problem with the blinking (D) would stop when the tranny was changed but I was wrong. I noticed her cold air intake was missing the filter so I think the engine sucked up a little water as well. These's a bigger problem besides this crap. The car was sitting for about a month before I started to fix it. The battery seemed to be dead so I gave it a boost, the car slowly died out after shortly. So I figured, it's probably the altinator. I boosted the car again and the car started up, I removed a batter terminal and the car died so it had to be the altinator, correct? I replaced the altinator with 1 of my old altinators and the car seemed fine. A day later after the car was sleeping away the night, she decided to take a drive around town and it was holding up. That same night (yesterday) she was on her way to see me and the car died on the highway. Its pretty funny but on a serious note, she was telling me the dash lights were getting dim and she could see the reflection of her headlights on another car and it was also dim. The car was towed to my house and I wanna get started on this junk now. Sorry for the long *** story, but this should brighten up your morning.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help/opinion, car keeps dieing. (EK project hybrid)

I was told by a friend it might be the altinator again or possibly a short some where
Old 06-10-2005, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone had this problem?
Old 06-10-2005, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ianyone had this problem?
Old 06-10-2005, 08:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could be alternator. could be weak grounds. you could also have an electrical problem resulting in a much larger than normal power draw on the battery, and the alternator can't keep up. I would check the grounds, then put a multimeter on the alternator.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help/opinion, car keeps dieing. (IHateJDM)

The sad part is I just changed the altinator last night again and it died. That makes 3. The battery is holding up a little, shows 11.3 when I checked. How do I check the altinator besides removing terminal from the battery? Its a tight squeeze in there. I didnt think a lite hit on the front would do electrical damage. Thanks for the reply, im gonna look at the grounds now.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

put a multimeter on the alternator and check the voltage output. the battery may be bad, you should see more than 12 volts with the car off, and 14.4 or so while running.. if it's not accepting a charge, or holding it long, your car will do that. can you swap out batteries with a friend?
Old 06-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help/opinion, car keeps dieing. (IHateJDM)

Thanks for the help, I figured out the stupid problem. It was a plug in the fuse box. Due to the front end accident, some plug poped out from the back of the fuse box which I guess has to do with the charge of the altinator or something. But now its fixed and works great