Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help my VIS hood is a fake or VIS sucks!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help my VIS hood is a fake or VIS sucks!!

The hood is for my 99 civic front end conversion. I bought it back in october from one of their authorised resellers. The reseller thought it looked weird and was going to accept my return. Before they made a final decision they called VIS and showed them my images.
The VIS guys told them that the hood looked fine so now they won't take it unless VIS says different. I called VIS directly and asked for Tak. He's been a real pain in the *** and his accent makes it seem like he's fob. At first he said my email(hotmail) came through but not all the pictures came up right!?! Then after sending several emails with images attached and hyperlink to a third-party server. He says he never received anything. So I sent them an email everyday for over two weeks. Called them up and Tak finally says he'll look into it. Now it's been weeks and some reason everytime I call I wait 10mins then have the operator guy say Tak is busy on the phone. Right now it seems VIS is ignoring me.

Take a look at these pics and tell me what you guys think. Also if Anybody bought a VIS hood after October 2006 and could give me pics I'd be most greatful as I could use it as evidence or at least see if what I got really was right, which means VIS has gone from a world known company to worse then knock-off.

The top of the hood looks okay, but the edges were just rouned off and some parts you can see one layer of CF and the rest is resin that's partually painted over. The white dots are small dips all over the underside.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need help my VIS hood is a fake or VIS sucks!! (dad0c402)

I'm not sure what you were expecting, but that looks pretty typical of a mid-grade production C/F hood.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need help my VIS hood is a fake or VIS sucks!! (Padawan)

how does it line up when closed?

is its fine i would not give VIS a bad name.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From personal experience with vis, I'll tell you they have about the shittiest CS of any place Ive dealt with.

It looks like a vis hood to me though. Im not sure what you expected the edges to be...theyre supposed to be rolled (which is more than I can say about my vis)
At least the fit is good.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help my VIS hood is a fake or VIS sucks!! (USDMej1)

The fitment is fine, but This is by far the worst hood I've seen. Several of my friends have VIS and so I was exspecting similar things. To make this hood usable and look nice, I would have primer and repaint the bottom, paint the edges, and cut out the holes for the stick that holds the hood up. Also the only CF I see is one layer on top. The underside is suppose to be a new one peice FRP but it looks horrible. The only secion that was cut out for me is access to the washer nozzles, which from the underside all i see if fiberglass.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:42 AM

i thought vix over wraps teh c/f to the bottom around the edges. that dont look like its been done
Old 02-03-2007, 11:53 AM

is the vis tag riveted on
Old 02-03-2007, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The edges are in fact not wrapped around which is what they call "rolled-edges", it was just rounded off like if you were to take sandpaper to it. Also the tag is a sticker slapped on, I was told by the authorized seller that, that is how VIS has been doing it for over 6 months, the rivets are the old way.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rad920)

yea that doesnt look like a VIS hood at all, and i used to pick up from there when i worked at a shop
Old 02-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dual Cam Racing)

Anyone else has comments? It's taken me months to try to deal with VIS on this and still no straight response from VIS cs. I'm starting to think if i should just redo the underside and use it or keep trying to get a return and go SEIBON or something.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:38 PM

that is not a real VIS hood......i have an Invader CF hood and it looks 100 time better the this one......1) the CF on mine is wrapped round the nose of the hood to the underside and extends well below the hood latch......2) VIS tag is held on by rivets....3) everything that was supposed to be cut was.....the holes for the washer sprayers and the hood prop....i personally do not believe yours is a REAL ViS hood
Old 02-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help my VIS hood is a fake or VIS sucks!! (groundzerocivic)

hehe, I have one on my crx. the tag is riveted on and the underside looks just like yours. NASTY!

And even though the pattern on top is straight, when you look at the reflection, it is seriously wobbly! can't just paint over it, it'd look like a horrible bondo job.

for the same price, I had bought a fiberglass hood for my mustang from Cervinis. the top and bottom of the hood are super smooth! Plus it fit much better than the vis hood did on my crx. they make a nice looking cowl hood for 99 civics.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my vis is riveted in?..for a 92 hatch...not that it matters...but i think my ynderside is different too.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So this is the final conclusion I came up with. If the company I bought this from is a real authorized retailer of VIS hoods, then that means my hood truely is VIS. However seeing as it looks so crappy, VIS is no longer what they use to be. In other words the hood i got is real, their customer service is the worse then aol, and if I we're to give any advice, don't go VIS, VIS SUCKS!!! Shoulda went with my second option, SEIBON. They're the same price.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seibon was supossed to be your first option ! then the other brands... the hood looks like **** even Generics look better !

Can't say V.I.S is a bad brand I have never bought anything from them.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:05 PM

from personal experience. vis is one of the best. that look nothing like a vis hood. plus, is there a vis badge on it? if not then it aint no vis hood.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Need help my VIS hood is a fake or VIS sucks!! (Harryflores)

vis hoods suck. those things are dog crap, SEIBON makes better hoods. Ive seen my friends vis hood on his 99 civic fly off on the freeway, the only thing that was left was the frame of it. and yes that is a true vis hood. lol they just gone down hill.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help my VIS hood is a fake or VIS sucks!! (Excel motor werks)

ive personally have had vis and siebon. my vote is for vis if you have the money but siebon is just as good.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Need help my VIS hood is a fake or VIS sucks!! (Excel motor werks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Excel motor werks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">vis hoods suck. those things are dog crap, SEIBON makes better hoods. Ive seen my friends vis hood on his 99 civic fly off on the freeway, the only thing that was left was the frame of it. and yes that is a true vis hood. lol they just gone down hill. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i think one of our h-t carbon seller comfirmed seibon and vis' sh-t are from same factory in china. don't quote me, search.

sorry but unless it's a 1994 vis hood, that's gotta be fake.(or trash grade hood, which is around 100-150 buck pick up, bubble, burnt edge, etc)

here some pointer for a grade vis hood

1)rolled edge
2)cf front over lay
3)matte finish undercoating
4)riveted vis badge, which seat up right
5)plated latch with two bolt

looks to me someone sold you some sh0t with a fake badge.

yeah, VIS' service is dog sh-t, they used to have a place in monterey park and everyone is straight up fob/asian
Old 02-04-2007, 01:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help my VIS hood is a fake or VIS sucks!! (iam7head)

Vis is actually a really small shop , ran by no more then say 4-5 people.

ps - having rolled edges on a hood is a good thing.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like I'm gonna have to talk with the "authorized" dealer again. I exspected alot from this hood, besides it's VIS the name speaks for it self (or use to). Yes there's a badge and everything, as i stated they told me the badge they started using for almost a year now is a sticker and not riveted.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:49 PM

VIS sucks, period

they have made me totally against carbon fiber.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:06 PM
HRD PKR

Default Re: Need help my VIS hood is a fake or VIS sucks!! (ek_99_SiR)

when i had my old hood it held up great never flew up or nothing

but that is older vis hood.. it was bloted in.. not fiberglassed.. id say u have a fake
Old 02-05-2007, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i bought a "vis" hood off ebay. didnt come with a badge but looks exactly like that.. dunno, could be real could be fake.. i learned my lesson.. if you get carbon get seibon
Old 02-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (emooheo)

there are alot of vis copies...my guess is you have a copy

Quick Reply: Need help my VIS hood is a fake or VIS sucks!!