Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help on my eg body work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 03:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help on my eg body work.

I have a bunch of little door dings from dumbasses. I was wondering what kind of body filler should i use or could i tap them out. you input is very important. Also what would you think of a eg coupe painted 00 Nissan Skyline R 34 blue? any color suggestions
Old 05-30-2003, 03:29 AM
ERA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need help on my eg body work. (JDMlifestyle)

I don't know **** about body fillers, however, a close buddy of mine pulls dents for a living. It is definately an artform pulling dents even with the best tools money can buy. If you don't have training or the proper tools, save yourself the headache and go to a professional... or just bondo it if that's what you think you need to do. My dentpro pal left his tools in my shop for a few days so I tried to pull my own dents, worst mistake I ever made. Good Luck
Old 05-30-2003, 03:46 AM

I dont thing any of them are dent pulling material. they are just little tiny things but they look as annoying as hell and i cant stand to see them
Old 05-30-2003, 04:47 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlifestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...I was wondering what kind of body filler should i use...</TD></TR></TABLE>

What do you mean what kind? Just mix some up. Depending on how bad they are, you might be able to just use touch up paint afterwards.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlifestyle)

Depending on the location and whether or not the metal is warped, they can take most dents out with a hammer and dolly (sp?). This will require a repaint though. I'd look into some sort of paintless dent removal. It isn't too expensive, and they can work wonders.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:53 AM

http://www.dentmasters.com/current_events.html
Old 05-30-2003, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help on my eg body work. (93CivicSI)

BONDO
Old 05-30-2003, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help on my eg body work. (mssEG6)

paintless dent removal is the greatest thing sine sliced bread!! i know a guy personally and he can take out door dings and whatever! as long as the dent is accesabile from the rear like removing door panels for the door and there is no bondo or welding there. but look into that
Old 05-30-2003, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

use putty. if the dents are really small, it's easier to use spot putty because you don't have to sand down to the metal. bondo doesn't stick to paint, so you have to sand all the paint off before putting it on. spot putty sticks to paint if you sand the paint first, so it's a lot less work and easier to do. then afterwards, primer all the spots you fixed, so all the little scratches are filled in. then, spray some sealer. then, paint. use ~180 grit to sand before putting on putty, 180 to sand the putty, use 500-600 to sand primer, use 600-700 to sand sealer, then paint.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Need help on my eg body work. (civicdxtyper)

dont use any of the "bondo" products their cheap, especially if your doin this stuff with no expereince....go to a shop where they specialize in body work and hook **** up there.....
Old 05-30-2003, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I also recommend paintless dent removal for those dings.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the Tips guys. Im still open to them. i still need more input on this. and what do you think of Nissan Skyline BLue off the 02 R34
Old 05-31-2003, 10:11 AM

can paintless dent removers take out waves like if you have wavy doors or would new skins be cheaper??
Old 05-31-2003, 10:17 AM

Default Re: (95excoupe)

I dont mean to thread jack, but how much do these paintless dent removers usually cost?
Old 06-01-2003, 01:13 AM

Not really sure how much it is. Im thinking about shaving my side moldings. ne one ever done that on this board if so how difficult was it?
Old 06-01-2003, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlifestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not really sure how much it is. Im thinking about shaving my side moldings. ne one ever done that on this board if so how difficult was it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i did it on my 97 hatch. not very hard to do. get a couple cans of kitty hair, which is fiberglass strands in resin. sand the molding holes with 40 grit sandpaper, put in kitty hair, sand that, then use bondo to finish it off. sand the kitty hair with 40 grit and bondo with 80. then primer and seal. i taped the holes from the moldings from the back so the kitty hair doesn't ooze out when it's still wet, but it's not a big deal, so if you're too lazy to do that you don't have to.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:17 PM

doesnt sound to difficult thanks for the info
Old 06-01-2003, 10:01 PM

Default Re: (civicdxtyper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i did it on my 97 hatch. not very hard to do. get a couple cans of kitty hair, which is fiberglass strands in resin. sand the molding holes with 40 grit sandpaper, put in kitty hair, sand that, then use bondo to finish it off. sand the kitty hair with 40 grit and bondo with 80. then primer and seal. i taped the holes from the moldings from the back so the kitty hair doesn't ooze out when it's still wet, but it's not a big deal, so if you're too lazy to do that you don't have to.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL kitty hair!
Old 06-01-2003, 10:30 PM

Does any one know of a site where it has more detailed instructions with pictures? Thanks
Old 06-01-2003, 10:47 PM

If there are scratches on your body like someone keyed your car type scratches, they can easily be removed. Just wax and buff your car and they're gone. But if the scratches are a bit deeper than you can use touch up paint.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlifestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not really sure how much it is. Im thinking about shaving my side moldings. ne one ever done that on this board if so how difficult was it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lots of people have done it, but there are several ways to do it. Probably the cheapest/easiest/ghetto way of doing it would be to remove your side moldings and bondo the grooves where they use to be and repaint them. I would research more on this and find out the best method.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:16 AM

Ive heard if u just slap bondo in there it will vibrate out after a while. Not sure if its true.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:34 AM

Default Re: Need help on my eg body work. (civicdxtyper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">use putty. if the dents are really small, it's easier to use spot putty because you don't have to sand down to the metal. bondo doesn't stick to paint, so you have to sand all the paint off before putting it on. spot putty sticks to paint if you sand the paint first, so it's a lot less work and easier to do. then afterwards, primer all the spots you fixed, so all the little scratches are filled in. then, spray some sealer. then, paint. use ~180 grit to sand before putting on putty, 180 to sand the putty, use 500-600 to sand primer, use 600-700 to sand sealer, then paint.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Use some rubbing compound to keep your work area at a minimum & after you paint. It isn't that difficult. If you've never done it before, go to the local library and get a book (not from 1970 either). Then use materials that will work together (putty, sealer etc.). Wherever you buy the stuff from will know what works together. Oh yeah, read the directions. Some of it is time sensitive to get the best results.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hatchback)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchback &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

LOL kitty hair! </TD></TR></TABLE>

yup, that's what it's called. it's fiberglass strands mixed into a resin. this stuff also comes under the names tiger hair or angel hair. it's a lot stronger than bondo and will last a lot longer.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:26 PM

Default Re: (civicdxtyper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yup, that's what it's called. it's fiberglass strands mixed into a resin. this stuff also comes under the names tiger hair or angel hair. it's a lot stronger than bondo and will last a lot longer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I just found that name comical.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:23 PM

never really heard it called kitty hair

Quick Reply: Need help on my eg body work.