Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Help! I'm new to cars and I just got a 99 Si

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help! I'm new to cars and I just got a 99 Si

Hey guys! First off I'd like to state that this is my first time posting on here and I'm kind of new to the whole car scene(I don't even know if this is the right section to be posting either). I've read quite a few threads and what not and you guys really seem to know what you're talking about. So I came to ask you guys for some advice on my recently purchased 99 Si.

As for the car, it has 175k on it and has the original B16A2 engine. I checked the vin and there were no reported crashes etc. Everything from the mechanical to the electrical is solid. The body looks fine, maybe a few dings and scratches, but nothing that a little TLC can't fix. I was able to get it for $3200

I was just wondering what I should do when it comes to getting more whp. I'm trying to aim for a solid 200-240 whp. I don't want to do any forced induction so please no ," you should boost it bro."

I have about $3500 to spend on mods. My father and I can do the work ourselves as well for the most part (he was a mechanic for about 20 years)

So what would be your guys' suggestions for me? What would be the best performance per dollar?

And a quick thanks to all of you guys who help me out. It's much appreciated.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:08 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Need Help! I'm new to cars and I just got a 99 Si

Originally Posted by Jagga
Hey guys! First off I'd like to state that this is my first time posting on here and I'm kind of new to the whole car scene(I don't even know if this is the right section to be posting either). I've read quite a few threads and what not and you guys really seem to know what you're talking about. So I came to ask you guys for some advice on my recently purchased 99 Si.

As for the car, it has 175k on it and has the original B16A2 engine. I checked the vin and there were no reported crashes etc. Everything from the mechanical to the electrical is solid. The body looks fine, maybe a few dings and scratches, but nothing that a little TLC can't fix. I was able to get it for $3200

I was just wondering what I should do when it comes to getting more whp. I'm trying to aim for a solid 200-240 whp. I don't want to do any forced induction so please no ," you should boost it bro."

I have about $3500 to spend on mods. My father and I can do the work ourselves as well for the most part (he was a mechanic for about 20 years)

So what would be your guys' suggestions for me? What would be the best performance per dollar?

And a quick thanks to all of you guys who help me out. It's much appreciated.
PLEASE FOR THE DEAR LOVE OF GOD, get an alarm first, not an ebay one, not something from walmart. I'm talking about like a 1500$ alarm system. GPS, Mini syreins, tracking the whole deal. Go look at the forum all about alarms, and find the best for your car. Anyone here will tell you, BEFORE YOU EVEN FILL YOUR CAR UP WITH GAS, get an alarm, especially with 98-00 ek coupes and em1's there extremely popular with getting stolen, get it over with now since you have 3500$.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

$3500 give you quite a few options for a naturally aspirated build up. You could pull your engine out take it apart & build it up real nice. You could do a motor swap. If you did a different B-series you could re-use your trans, brackets, shift linkage, mounts, a/c, power steering, exhaust manifold...maybe even wiring, distributor, and more ect. Sometimes you can buy freshy already built longblocks for a killer price compared to buying piece by piece and going back & forth to your closest machine shop. For a goal like that you would most likely want to get an ecu you can chip (obd1) and most likely at least street tune.
You could also do a different series swap like K, H, or even J. Hasport makes the parts you would need such as shift linkage, engine mounts, wiring, ect. They all have their different perks and all have different pros & cons. I'd suggest sitting on the idea a bit, doing some research on the big range of possibilities you have.
It really all depends on what you want out of your projected you'd like to start. Getting dirty, learning, and meeting some quality characters will come with just about all your options. Ha unless you decide to come up with a bunch of dolla dollas and pay some fool to have your fun playing. By reading your post I feel you probably are steering away from that though hah :]

Maybe look into a stock K series swap with some bolt-ons & a reflash. You could very easily meet your goals there & if you played your cards right you might be able to manage at least the overall swap to a running driving car before bolt-ons & reflash.
Maybe look into a high compression B-series build. You could use your block & head or find something else to use like jdm or gsr and get wild with pistons, cams, intake/exhaust manifold, studs, blah blah and have a real fun rebuild with your pops.
I've seen some jdm H series swaps in 96-00 civic chassis and honestly its kind of crowded and so is J series for the most part, but again Hasport has spent some time making it easier for those who choose that route. Welcome to the world of car legos n stuff. There is a tone of people on here that have all kinds of random knowledge floating around their heads that would definitely be willing to share and help you along your journey you're about to start. Just let us know :]
Old 11-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

^ The Si is a car that will disappear on you if you dont safeguard it.
Put a good tracking alarm on it.

Start off going over the car.
Suspension
wheels tires
brakes
the basics.....Dont mod anything until you get the car mechanically sound.
A 13 year old car will have something wrong here and there.
FYI the B16 is a pretty good engine, and unless you have boat load of money, leave it alone.
It might be nice to have 200 hp but if you cant use it ,and drive it then why have it.
I know you might be young and thinking how cool it would be to have a faster car...
but believe me the car is fast enough.
There are other things id do first to make the car more sound and handle better.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:24 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/building-your-dream-car-101-a-3102979/

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/guide-answer-common-question-just-bought-civic-how-do-i-make-faster-2915974/
Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Maurice's Build
get an alarm, em1's there extremely popular with getting stolen
He is right about the fact 96-00 two door civics are one of the most common stolen cars in this country. Especially the 99-00 SI or clean swapped EK's for that matter...Depending on how scared you are & where you live or plan to visit (leave vehicle un-attended) is what is most important before you're about to install an alarm with half of your budget. A cheap alarm is sketchy for sure and so is letting an idiot cut into your ignition wiring. There is a very valid point into why you wanna stay away from ebay/walmart stuff.

One thing is for sure about owning this car you now have...getting your priorities straight on what to do and what to do first or the order of which to take this on...its not going to be crazy easy to decide or make a move sometimes...but that is kind of some of the fun in it. At least to me. Patients is the first thing you'll need and want :]

Originally Posted by dirty19

Suspension
wheels tires
brakes
FYI the B16 is a pretty good engine, and unless you have boat load of money, leave it alone.
It might be nice to have 200 hp but if you cant use it ,and drive it then why have it.
I know you might be young and thinking how cool it would be to have a faster car...
There are other things id do first to make the car more sound and handle better.
I would think about that too...having an SI is badass enough let alone. Maybe get your car dialed in as is and decide how you want it to feel as for handling on the road. Get used to your ride while you think about mods.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Trial User

First thing I did when.i bought my ej8 coupe is bought an alarm.system and it came with a tracking.system as well, might also want to purchase a steering wheel.lock
Old 11-30-2012, 11:59 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

If you really want to keep your car protected, i know things that will make sure nobody's going to steal your car(Unless they trailer your **** lol) Get a full alarm system, gps tracking and all, get a Nrg Quick release, short hub and hub lock so they won't get into that, 2-3 kill switches(BE REALLY CREATIVE WHEN HIDING THEM!), get a pull out ecu chip(Without that chip plugged in, your car is not getting stolen, can't be started), get some nrg extended lug nuts, with the lock so your lug nuts can't be taken off(Wheels won't get stolen), key less entry, ANYTHING of value, take out of your car when it's un-attented, ipoh/phone/change/money/faceplate to system, Hood pins with a lock so they can't open your hood if they get in(So they can't disconnect the battery to stop the loud alarm system). Obviously you don't have to do this all, but BEST BELIEVE if you have all this, nobody is stealing your car, it would take hours and hours to even get your car started, and i'm pretty sure someone will report an alarm after 3-4 mins. It all depends on how strict you want to go with your car, i already bought ALL OF THIS, before i even got the car, just need GPS, and secruity camera's for around the house(I have multiple hondas, dad has eg 4-door, mom has rsx) so we all pitched in for cameras. Keeping your car safe is more important then anything else on your car, doesn't matter if you put 50,000$ in your car, if it's not safe, all it takes is one theif to steal it and take it to a chop shop.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm trying to aim for a solid 200-240 whp. I don't want to do any forced induction so please no ," you should boost it bro."

I have about $3500 to spend on mods. My father and I can do the work ourselves as well for the most part (he was a mechanic for about 20 years
Not happening with that budget.

And " you should boost it bro" is perfectly good advice for the power goals and the budget you have.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:55 AM
Trial User

Hey guys! Thanks for the input and sorry for my late response.

Originally Posted by BryanM.
Not happening with that budget.

And " you should boost it bro" is perfectly good advice for the power goals and the budget you have.

I know my goal might be a little ambitious, but I just want to know what I would have to do to get that 200-240 whp. If my budget isn't large enough then I'll take it slow, but I would really like some suggestions. I am just sick of turbochargers. I have one in my mom's passat and I am just not that huge of a fan.

Thanks for the links, I will give them a thorough look through.

Originally Posted by Maurice's Build
PLEASE FOR THE DEAR LOVE OF GOD, get an alarm first, not an ebay one, not something from walmart. I'm talking about like a 1500$ alarm system. GPS, Mini syreins, tracking the whole deal. Go look at the forum all about alarms, and find the best for your car. Anyone here will tell you, BEFORE YOU EVEN FILL YOUR CAR UP WITH GAS, get an alarm, especially with 98-00 ek coupes and em1's there extremely popular with getting stolen, get it over with now since you have 3500$.
I definitely agree with you here. The area where I live doesn't have much of a car scene though. It's mainly farmers...but at least most of my roads are pretty good. I still want to invest in an alarm system, gps, the works. Does anyone have any suggestions?

And once again thanks for all of the really quick responses. I would have replied earlier, but I was at work and when I got home I had a ton to do.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A system with a pager remote,theres a lot of compaines that make alarm systems around 300-500 range dont have to go all big. Run a kill switch one for the fuel pump,one to the ignition,and one to the batt,cant run a car with out those. Yea u can bulid a motor with 2500-3000, u can go with a strong b20v a LS-V,u can do many motor bulids and stay na and make good power but see what u want to do wwith the car is it going to be a dd or a track beast or a drag car etc. But have fun and enjoy urself.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with the alarm system
Old 12-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

preventative maintenance first, then mod happy.
depending on your budget, don't cheap out on anything.
spend the most on brakes, suspension...etc
have fun good luck post pics!
Old 12-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by asvpxmikxy
preventative maintenance first, then mod happy.
depending on your budget, don't cheap out on anything.
spend the most on brakes, suspension...etc
have fun good luck post pics!
^ agreed! And don't worry, after my dad and I swap out the old brakes and whatever else needs replaced, I will post some pictures.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirty19

Suspension
wheels tires
brakes
I think 200whp is completely usable on the street. My EVO IX has just shy of 400whp/400wtq and my 335D has 310whp/518wtq. It's completely usable on the street, not quite in my commute. But that's what the Civic VX is for! LOL

In my humble opinion, 500whp-600whp cars is where it starts getting out of hand on the street in terms of usability.

To the OP:

It's going to be very expensive to make a B16A2 put down 240whp. I think Honda's are best when they're balanced in terms of mild power, handling, and braking.

One of the most fun car i've ever owned was my old eg hatch si. Mild chassis bracing with koni yellows + eibach sport lines, sway bars, goodyear f1 tires wrapped around some cheap 15" rota circuit 8 rims, aggressive alignment, some street/mild track pad I cannot remember, and a completely stock motor. It was super cheap and off the charts fun.

The rotation of my civic when I was attacking a corner was heavenly.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

+1 on alarm.

EM1 will steal itself. LOL
Old 12-01-2012, 03:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I definitely agree with you here. The area where I live doesn't have much of a car scene though. It's mainly farmers...but at least most of my roads are pretty good. I still want to invest in an alarm system, gps, the works. Does anyone have any suggestions?

And once again thanks for all of the really quick responses. I would have replied earlier, but I was at work and when I got home I had a ton to do.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/audio-security-video-27/car-alarm-guide-how-pick-out-security-system-meet-your-needs-open-2518715/ here's the thread i was talking about, BUT REMEMBER not all car's are stolen at your house, you can be at a 7/11 for 30 secs and that car is GONE!, thank god you agree, i wish EVERYONE would get nice alarms the full deal, it would stop thieves, and the honda community would be so much better.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ALARM ALARM ALARM.

then start with maintenance. Tune up, gaskets, etc. ball joints, tie rods, end links, bushings, shocks/spring/coilovers if you plan to lower it.

200-240 will be pretty hard to make out of a N/A B16. doable, but it will blow the budget to bits.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 98civdx
ALARM ALARM ALARM.

then start with maintenance. Tune up, gaskets, etc. ball joints, tie rods, end links, bushings, shocks/spring/coilovers if you plan to lower it.

200-240 will be pretty hard to make out of a N/A B16. doable, but it will blow the budget to bits.
YES! everyone get it through his head that he needs to go all out with an alarm! lol, idc if you have a 89 ef on donks primed PINK with no seats except the drivers one, IT WILL GET STOLEN! lol i went all out with an alarm before i even bought my car, because it will go with most cars anyways.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: Need Help! I'm new to cars and I just got a 99 Si

I know my goal might be a little ambitious, but I just want to know what I would have to do to get that 200-240 whp. If my budget isn't large enough then I'll take it slow, but I would really like some suggestions. I am just sick of turbochargers. I have one in my mom's passat and I am just not that huge of a fan.
A turbo em1 is nothing like your moms turbo passat. Lol

Anyways alarm 1st and look around at other people's bouilds and videos so you can get an idea of what YOU like. Research research research. Learn all you can.

Good luck with the build bud.

:'( I miss my old em1
Old 12-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Being this is your first car and your engine's specs is: Power: 160 hp (119 kW) @ 7600 rpm & 112 lb·ft (152 N·m) @ 7000 rpm. Also, being a very light-weight with good handeling you should feel good about even in it's stock form. If you are not interested in getting it turboed and tuned it's probably best to spend money on the suspension, alarm system and good sound system (if it doesn't already have one).

Concentrate on improving your driving skills before adding HP.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Master Detailer

Remember those power numbers are at the crank, NOT at the wheels.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Remember those power numbers are at the crank, NOT at the wheels.
Does any manufacturer list or advertise WHP for a new car?
Old 12-02-2012, 12:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Telecatster
Of course they don't.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by Telecatster
no, but my post wasn't aimed at you. It was a general statement because a lot of people don't know.

Quick Reply: Need Help! I'm new to cars and I just got a 99 Si