Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help/ideas.......topic: Screws on Rotor removal w/pics!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help/ideas.......topic: Screws on Rotor removal w/pics!

Okay guys i need quick help/suggestions/ideas.

I need to resurface my rotors and to get some new pads being that something got stuck in between them and was causing a horrible sound but anyways im bout to take off the rotor when this stupid screw doesnt want to come off.... any bright ideas?? THanx

EDIT as you can see i was trying with a screw driver but the thing is starting to strip!
And ive already soaked them with the good ol WD40
Old 05-07-2003, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Need help/ideas.......topic: Screws on Rotor removal w/pics! (TheRedSkoolingBus)

Impact Driver
Old 05-07-2003, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help/ideas.......topic: Screws on Rotor removal w/pics! (TheRedSkoolingBus)

I had the same problem with mine. and i had to take a drill and drill them out.
Very easy to do, and once you get the out you dont need to put them back on. the wheel wiill hold the rotor in place.

HTH
Brian
New User

Default Re: Need help/ideas.......topic: Screws on Rotor removal w/pics! (bryan305)

An impact screwdriver is your friend. Just make sure it's turning counter clockwise before you hammer it.
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help/ideas.......topic: Screws on Rotor removal w/pics! (bryan305)

I have an impact electric gun...is that a set that i could put on mine?? its a bit bigger though will it not strip it??

Damn guys thanx for the quick response...having a pic in the thread ownz!

This is the gun i currently have can i put a set on that??
Old 05-07-2003, 09:53 AM

You can use a screw extractor set or an impact screwdriver to get them off but another way is to just drill off the screw head and remove the rotor. Then take a pair of vice grips or pliers and turn them the rest of the way out. Then you can just replace the screws. They are not that much from honda.

P.S. These screws are only used to hold the rotor on duing assembly
Old 05-07-2003, 09:56 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheRedSkoolingBus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have an impact electric gun...is that a set that i could put on mine?? its a bit bigger though will it not strip it??

Damn guys thanx for the quick response...having a pic in the thread ownz! </TD></TR></TABLE>
That impact set that was posted is different than your impact gun. The impact driver that was posted is designed to be hit with a hammer/mallet on the butt of the driver. The tip of the driver then turns. The motion of pushing in and turning loosens the bolt. It's the same as pushing really hard on the screw driver and turning, although this creates a much greater force. The multiple tips are for different size phillips and flat heads.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:59 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheRedSkoolingBus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have an impact electric gun </TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't want to use that thing. You can't push it against the screw hard enough to keep it from stripping. Go buy that impact driver at harbor freight for like $7 or just drill it out.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice thanx bro,,,, i wish i would of known it was diffrent i just fugged my screw and now ill be drilling it out...
Old 05-07-2003, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ummm, who are you gonna get to turn cross drilled rotors?
Old 05-07-2003, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Need help/ideas.......topic: Screws on Rotor removal w/pics! (ScrapinSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScrapinSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ummm, who are you gonna get to turn cross drilled rotors? </TD></TR></TABLE>

on me for not noticing that...
Old 05-07-2003, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn you cant get them to resurface them?? And why not?? ARRGGHH!!!

on me for not knowing that...
Old 05-07-2003, 10:19 AM

While you are at it, you should probably stake down the axle nut. Just as a safety precaution.

Old 05-07-2003, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn you cant get them to resurface them?? And why not?

It might screw up the cutting heads on the lathe skipping across those holes. Maybe not.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help/ideas.......topic: Screws on Rotor removal w/pics! (g_man80)

yeah i know bout that thing man its just that they are new and i forgot...thanx..

So does this mean that the rotors are scrapped??
Old 05-07-2003, 10:22 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheRedSkoolingBus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>

I like the christmas suspension.

Also, I assume you don't go to the track with your car since you don't know how to change your rotors... (not bashing on you at all) If this is the case, you'd probably be better off with just some brembo blanks anyways...~$28/ea
Old 05-07-2003, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah you can resurface them....

I did mine in PHX, this place called AZ brake Supply off the I-17....From Mcdowell towards Thomas along the side of the freeway....any clutch shot can do it...cam procedure as resurfacing flywheels...
Old 05-07-2003, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help/ideas.......topic: Screws on Rotor removal w/pics! (SlowCivicHmm)

AZ Clutch and Brake I believe....looks like a warehouse....blue/white building........thats all I remember...12.50 a rotor out the door...takes like an hour...
Old 05-07-2003, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Need help/ideas.......topic: Screws on Rotor removal w/pics! (SlowCivicHmm)

For mine, I just took the huge screw driver and put all my weight into it and they busted loose. Maybe try heating up with screws with a little blow torch to get them looser. Good luck
Old 05-07-2003, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bryan305 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I like the christmas suspension.

Also, I assume you don't go to the track with your car since you don't know how to change your rotors... (not bashing on you at all) If this is the case, you'd probably be better off with just some brembo blanks anyways...~$28/ea</TD></TR></TABLE>

WTF? who says i cant change my rotors?? just cuz i cant get the srew off???And yes i do go to the track in fact ive put all of my suspension together including my motor swap thank you very much.
heres another pic for j00

and by the way my 4dr runs 14.3 buddy
Old 05-07-2003, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Need help/ideas.......topic: Screws on Rotor removal w/pics! (jgop_151)

I had the same problem on my integra. If you take a larger sized screwdriver and bang the head of it with a hammer, it should jar the screw loose. The screws are a pain and to my knowledge do not need to be on there anyway, they only hold the rotor on when the wheel is off.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:34 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Need help/ideas.......topic: Screws on Rotor removal w/pics! (gsr~hatch)

hit them with a little PB blaster
Old 05-07-2003, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Need help/ideas.......topic: Screws on Rotor removal w/pics! (TODAeg6)

Same thing happened to me. I was able to get mine off with a lil bit of liquid wrench (im pretty sure thats what it was) and an impact screwdriver. It was still a bitch to get em off even with the impact though, i was unable to do it with just the impact driver, those screws are a bitch. Well u said u were gunna be drillen em out though so its too late to try my method NEwayz but maybe next time lol. And i would also reccomend brembo blanks or u cant go wrong with auto zone rotors either! Hope u get it all hooked up, i had this same problem last time i had my rotors resurfaced and got new pads. Good luck main!
Old 05-07-2003, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help/ideas.......topic: Screws on Rotor removal w/pics! (TXDelSol)

Impact driver

See the thread below for info.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=430806
Old 05-07-2003, 11:59 AM

the easy way to remove those screws is by taking a chisel and hitting the edge of the screw head in the direction to loosen the screw. Takes 5 seconds and the screw is loose.

Quick Reply: Need help/ideas.......topic: Screws on Rotor removal w/pics!