Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Help With Headgasket Leak!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With Headgasket Leak!

Ok guys, so i just got my h22a1 block rebuilt, and i used a different head(same year) the head was milled just to make it flat. Well i noticed the motor was leakin from the head gasket. I thought maybe i didnt torque it down right so i went ahead and re tourqed everything. Well it was stilll leakin so now im kinda stumped. I have done some research and read of honda selling someone the wrong headgasket(h23) and also read that if the head has been milled one too many time you have to shave the dowel pins a little. One other thing im wonderin is if i put it on wrong? Here are some pics of where its leakin from.

This is a pic of the right side right above the alt where the block and head meet

This is a pic above the engine code, now you see that tab in between the head and block, im wonderin if thats suppose to be on the other side above the alt, kinda like if its on upside down and backwards.

Can anyone confirm this for me? i really wanna get this runnin right for a track event next sunday, and just so you all know i used all oem parts! THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS!
Old 10-22-2008, 08:37 PM
New User

Default Re: Need Help With Headgasket Leak! (1BADEGDC2)

I would try on some copper spray and see what happens. Now that your headgasket is leaking while ur head gasket is out then spray it with copper spray.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

isnt that a cheap way of ... umm i dont know how to explain but isnt it a cheap way of re using a headgasket than buying a new one? I just wanna know what could have caused this, thanks for your help
Old 10-22-2008, 09:04 PM

no its not a cheap way its to insure u have a superior seal.. i use the copper spray on every head gasket change and have never had 1 leak. but yeah the dowels could be to long now depending on how much the head was milled.

i cant tell from the pics but u might have the head gasket on backwards aswell.. in the first pic it just looks like there should be more gasket in that area
Old 10-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1BADEGDC2)

Looks to me like it could be your cam seal and it's just leaking down and then across the block
Old 10-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (whereiscarmensandiego)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by whereiscarmensandiego &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no its not a cheap way its to insure u have a superior seal.. i use the copper spray on every head gasket change and have never had 1 leak. but yeah the dowels could be to long now depending on how much the head was milled.

i cant tell from the pics but u might have the head gasket on backwards aswell.. in the first pic it just looks like there should be more gasket in that area</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, i will take your advice, where can i get that stuff and how much, where would i spray it? if i shaved the dowl pins, how much would you think, as far as milling like i said i milled it just to make it flat and i dont know anything before i had it so i couldnt tell ya how much its been milled

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HeikDiesel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks to me like it could be your cam seal and it's just leaking down and then across the block</TD></TR></TABLE>

all the cam seals have been replaced, the first time i replaced the one by the dizzy, then i noticed the intake cam seal by the cam gear was leakin so when i retorqued i replaced both the seals and its still leakin, but not from there anymore this h2b thing is pushin my buttons, but i love the power
Old 10-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

still need help!